October 22, 2014

'Human Target' - 'Christopher Chance' Recap (Season Finale)

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 15th 2010 3:27PM
human target christopher chance
(S01E12) "Christopher Chance is the guy you go to when no one else can help you." - Christopher Chance to, er, Christopher Chance!

Last night's great season finale was capped off by a cliffhanger ending straight outta 'The Empire Strikes Back' -- a major player went missing, the plot was left unresolved, and a swelling John Williams-esque score filled the final moments. The cliffhanger felt even more poignant since Fox has yet to announce a second season renewal for 'Human Target.'

Hopefully, the network will take a, er, chance and order another full season of the show. 'Human Target' turned out to be one of the best and most enjoyable new series to premiere in the last few months. I've had a blast tagging along with Chance, Winston and Guerrero on their crazy adventures, and I'd love to see the boys regroup and save the day over and over again for another few years.

We finally got to see Chance's back story and explore his relationships with "The Old Man" Joubert (Armand Assante) and Katherine Walters (Amy Acker). "Christopher Chance" revealed a lot about our main characters, but there's still more backstory to tell and more questions to be answered. Like how and why did Guerrero leave The Old Man's company to hook up with Chance and Winston? Is Katherine Walters really dead? (We never actually saw her in the boat when it exploded.) And what's so important about that book?

Casting The Six Million Dollar Man and the Fall Guy himself, Lee Majors, as Classic Chance was an inspired choice. The guy exudes an air that can only be described as "TV badass," plus he looks like he could be Mark Valley's real-life big poppa.

Major's confident performance as Classic Chance gave weight to Late Model Chance's decision to quit the bad guy biz and start a new life. Before these two met, I was feeling a little let down by Chance's reason for turning on his boss. The "I don't want to do it anymore" line he gave Katherine earlier in the ep wasn't doin' it for me. His decision to, all of a sudden, do the right thing after he learned Katherine was innocent felt a little false -- until we learned about his previous encounter with Classic Chance, who told him that no one deserves to die.

That was the turning point for our Chance. He spent a year after that questioning his current path and everything The Old Man stood for. Things came to a breaking point when he met Katherine.

Amy Acker looked absolutely gorgeous in this ep. Her romance with Chance felt a bit rushed, but Acker and Valley are pros. They really sold it. I hope Acker is able to return to the show somehow.

Assante was agreeably slimy as Joubert. I was hoping the big bad would turn out to be someone a little scarier or more unpredictable, but Assante did his best with the role, shouting and scowling every line with an unpleasant look on his face.

Let's talk about the coolest moment of the night: The quick brawl between Chance and Guerrero. What a surprise! I never thought Jackie Earle Haley would jump into an action scene on this show. It just never occurred to me that Guerrero could kick some ass and hold his own against The Christopher Chance. This was such a great moment for fans, and it made me wish for a Guerrero-centric ep that would reveal some of his back story. You know that would be a lot of fun.

This was an entertaining, exciting and surprising season finale. It was also great to see Lennie James back as Baptiste. Here's hoping we'll get to see Chance and Guerrero save the day and bring good ol Laverne back home for season two.

[Watch free episodes of 'Human Target' on SlashControl.]

cmlfox6

Keep CHANCE it's the only program my husband will watch with me aside from any sports program. He has NOT missed 1 program. Nice job putting it on air .. take a Chance and do it again!

May 12 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tufr

This is the one series I've seen that actually has the potential to equal or eclipse Star Trek. It needs to last 3 years and then it will never die.

The idea there have been at least 4 Christopher Chances, for the last 100 years or so was brilliant. Especially because the present one is obviously the best trained and strongest one of all of them.

Lee Majors was great and he must be brought back in the next season in flashback, possibly by people who knew him and are looking for his help and instead meet the present Christopher Chance.

The only reasonable outcome is that the former Chance removed Cathrine before the explosion although Chance is shown at the cemetery, indicating that some sort of bodily remains were found, post explosion.

Lastly, My guess is Guerro is just some sort of half assed friend, he's Chance's half brother.

Tufr

May 01 2010 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Excellent season finale. Great casting. Looking forward to next season.

April 19 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Silva

My wife and I look forward to this show every week. So enjoyable...and fun. The writers and actors have been marvelous.

April 19 2010 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

I accidentally started watching this show based on the catchy title: Human Target; but after seeing one episode, it became one of the "few" weekly television shows I watch. I like the characters (actors), storylines and I knew there was this mystery surrounding the main character, Christopher Chance, but for a person that usually can figure out the plot before it's revealed, I was left with the cliffhanger feeling--wanting to see what, when, how, etc. I am looking forward to the new season. Please keep the writers, they did a great job.

April 19 2010 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edwin Werner

This is a great series. Just wish it didnt end. Sure think that Amy Acker is teriffic.

April 17 2010 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

FOX don't blow it this time with this series

April 16 2010 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barlyn Anderson

How does a network tell how many people watch a show?
Is it based on a few people in a area doing a survey?
Does the network take into account that Fox is being viewed at the same time in Canada and there are millions watching it here too at the same time, seeing the same commercials. We have those same brands/products here, the companies paying for the adds are reaching a big Canadian audience as well. (it airs up here on our own network, CTV, as well but we also get the Wednesday Fox broadcast.)

April 16 2010 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barlyn Anderson

I think Katherine could be alive to, Maybe even Guerrero might have gotten her off the boat, hay??? They never really went into what changed him to come to Chance's side or how it came about, maybe he found the book, saw what was in it (it's something life changing because Chance tried to get Baptise to understand how bad it was)and it moved him to change. It's not like him to just walk out the door and not get involved again, in his own words, "dude, it's me" If he found Chance at that safe house he could find them at the dock. HE might have saved katherine!

April 16 2010 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

This is FOX. Come on! The X -Files was on, Prison Break was on. The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad are on. FOX is known for airing the most creative, imaginative shows on the air. Who better to keep Human Target and Fringe on the air? If they will air The Cleveland Show, they will air anything... Come on, FOX, Don't let me down- I have yet to decide who is hotter: Joshua Jackson or Mark Valley.

April 16 2010 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply