October 24, 2014

'Ugly Betty' - 'Hello Goodbye' Recap (Series Finale)

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 15th 2010 12:18AM
ugly_betty_2010_cast_abc
(S04E20)
A really wonderful thing happened at the end of the series finale of 'Ugly Betty.' Betty Suarez got a new beginning. In the tradition of many television series finales, there were many loose ends tied up, and because 'Betty' was more comedy than drama, it only stood to reason that they were mostly happy endings.

All they needed was Liza Minnelli to sing about it, but alas, there was no musical number to sum it all up. However, there was plenty of character development and plot turns. For more on that and how even Halston got a fashionable farewell, read on after the jump. However, if you don't want to know, consider this a SPOILER ALERT!

There were tears shed when all was said and done. And not just by the characters. Betty made a major decision and stuck to it. She took the job offer in London, set out on a new adventure, and lived up to the lofty opinion of Justin -- he told her that she was brave and had been a role model for all the Suarezes -- as well as Wilhemina. Willie admired her and said, "You've got big balls." It was the ultimate compliment from La Slater, a point Ms. Suarez recognized.

The move to London, however, was not without complications. Daniel had to release Betty from her Mode contract. Wow, she had a contract? Really. That was a shocker because, based on my experience in publishing, Betty was never in a place on the masthead to warrant one. Still, for plot contrivances, it gave the episode some drama. Claire suspected that Daniel's inability to let Betty go had more to do with his feelings for her as a woman, but was that really it?

It was true that Mode had invested in Betty, but she was offered a great opportunity that Mode wasn't matching. Once Daniel did make her a similar offer, the choice became tougher for Betty. And then Hilda ratcheted up the guilt by evoking the Poppy situation. For a nanosecond, it looked like Betty was going to cave in to the pressure.

In other major developments -- and there were many -- Wilhemina survived the shooting, and with a little help from Mark, she did the right thing. Tyler was off the hook, and in a smart twist, Daniel chose to hand over the reins of Mode to Willie. That made her almost as happy as scheming to get Conner out of prison. You knew it was the ending for real when Wilhemina found her bliss.

Everyone took steps forward. Justin got Mark to reach out to Trevor. Hilda and Bobby took the leap to Manhattan, and even Ignacio embraced having the house in Queens to himself.

Those tears that the family shed when Betty drove off were real. I had some, too. It was a bittersweet goodbye. But it was the right time to move on. The original 'Betty' had been a telenovela with a beginning, middle and an end. The ABC series had a great run, an award-winning ride that was legendary. Perhaps it ended too soon, but at least it ended on a high note.

We got Betty in a flashforward of sorts. We saw her adjusting -- thriving -- in London. Just like we knew she would! Betty was always a winner, even with the bad clothes, dopey glasses and metal mouth. The move to London was an excellent way to give her a great finish. Bravo, Silvio Horta.

As a last coda, a tip of the cap to the fans, Betty and Daniel ran into each other in London. They caught up, and he even offered to submit his resume to become her assistant.

So it was completely open ended about their relationship, up to the imagination of the viewer. It was better that way because it would have been too much for Betty to get the great job, get the new life, and get a romantic happy ending, too.

And, truth be told, Daniel may be in love with Betty, but is she in love with him like that? I don't think so, but I may be wrong. So, fans, what do you think? And as series finales go, how did you like the end of 'Ugly Betty'?

Other Points of Interest

-- The death of Amanda's dog Halston was the lone false note in the show. The illegal funeral in the park was slapsticky, as was the dog corpse in the fridge and finally scattering her ashes all over Mode.

-- A better story for Amanda, and her happy ending, was Spencer. He gave Amanda what she had been looking for, a father. He had actually been looking for her while she had been searching for him. Ahh...

-- The mood swings for Daniel were huge. He was selfish, angry, resigned and, in the end, transformed. Deciding to step down from Mode to start over was surprising. Of course, he could return at any time. It is a Meade Publication, after all.

Estanislao

About the ending, just remember that is and adaptation of Betty la Fea, a colombian soap opera, then transformed in comic soap opera in mexico, and then Salma Hayek put some glamour to the script and a more realistic history. So Daniel and Betty needed to end together, as they did in tne latin american tv shows.

August 04 2010 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arteako

I cried. I love Ugly Betty. I know I am going to miss it. But I am really glad that they did not overdo the story.

April 19 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bev

I loved the finale. I have watched it 4 times--I liked it that much!! I think that, as has already been stated, the writers did a fantabulous job of tying up all of the loose ends. I appreciated the character growth that was portrayed. It was only fitting that we got to witness these characters begin to evolve into the people (grown-ups) that they should be. It had just the correct amount of humor and sentimentality. Betty had to leave; and Daniel needed to let her go. They grew together as co-workers, friends... and I think they were deeper than many gave them credit. Daniel grew as well. I believe that they belong together but not just yet. He needed to let her go and continue his own growth. She needed to leave to continue to blossom. I loved the way it was written. I didn't want to see them together-together. I just wanted to witness the evolution of each character and the fact that eventually when the time is right-- they will find themselves right where they should be. I think it was perfect. The way he looked at her in that final clip was so romantic. I like to imagine that they'll take it slow as they discover each other in this new capacity. It was poignant and beautiful. Brava, Ugly Betty writers!!!! You got it right! Spot on and romantic!!

April 16 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I thought this was a really great ending to the show, although I really am sad to see this go. I really can't fathom why anyone wouldn't like this show, it's funny sweet and just darn cute. This season especially stands out in my mind and I really can't think of any really bad episodes. I am happy that Daniel and Betty did not have a sealed future in the show as I thought they would make a horrible ending but I appreciated that there was an open ending for them to remain friends. Wilhelmina got such a great ending, so happy for her! What I love about Ugly Betty is ultimately it's just a happy show and I'm grateful to have a show end so happily. I will miss this.

April 15 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

I, for one, watched the Spanish Telenovela "Betty La Fea" on spanish channel about 10 years ago. On that one, Betty and Daniel ended up getting married. It kind of ruined the show. It, too, was all about Betty gaining the respect of the people she worked with cause she was so "ugly", with glasses, braces and ugly clothes to be working in a model atmosphere. She slowly changed those around her into acceptance of people who are "different" and won their respect. Loved that one, Loved this one! I have to say I liked the way they ended this one with open end, so we can all finish it how we want. A good, clean show for family entertainment. We need more of these. Love the Spanish novelas cause they have a beginning, middle and end. They are normally only on the air a year or so and it's planned around that time period when written. They are like a long mini-series. Wish we had some like that too.

April 15 2010 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

I think that the final episode was pretty well done. Everyone wanted Daniel and Betty to get together, but you must admit that they were not really suited for each other. I am glad that the ending saw Betty not getting hooked up with anyone special, but the ending with Daniel left things open for an Ugly Betty/Betty movie. It took Betty a long time to be her own person, so it was fitting that she do what she was dreaming about all along. She is still young, and she can put romance on the back burner for awhile. When she finally settles down, she will have no regrets. After all, she has matured into a woman who knows what she wants and went after it.

April 15 2010 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

Some shows are gritty, real and in your face. With these shows you come to expect a really unpredictable series finale.

Ugly Betty was not one of those shows. This show was always about the soap opera styled dramedy. I mean lets face even Wilhelmina's evil schemes always came off so camp and funny.

Because of this I think the fans needed an ending like the one they gave us. The show wouldn't feel concluded if they hadn't. We all wanted to see Justin come out. Hilda get married. Wilhelmina to get a happy ending. Mark and Amanda happy. Without all of these loose ends being tied up I would have been so disapointed.

All in all a good finale. Good-bye Betty! Til we meet again in a sequel or remake in 2030.

April 15 2010 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I'm going to miss Ugly Betty. It had one of the strongest ensemble casts on television, backed by thoughtful writing and characters who, despite their over-the-top moments, behaved like real human beings. Behind the gaudiness and the silliness, UB delivered some real, sincere emotion.

I was glad to see that Becki Newton picked up a new gig almost immediately. I hope the same goes for Michael Urie.

April 15 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to George's comment
Kris

Well, Michael Urie is in the Temperamentals right now, or whatever. So, he technically already has.

April 15 2010 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I laughed and I cried. I'll miss Betty, but she got a terrific send off. The most touching moment for me was the very end when "Ugly Betty" was superimposed over Betty heading back to work in London, then the "Ugly" disappeared and it was just "Betty." Pitch perfect.

April 15 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elizabeth

i thought the ending was beauttiful.. the writing on this show has been amazing.. will miss it I enjoyed watching ugly betty from the begining..

April 15 2010 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply