August 22, 2014

'Project Runway' - 'Finale Part 1' Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Apr 16th 2010 12:28AM
Jay and Mila await judgement.
(S07E13) It's crunch time for 'Project Runway' as the contestants make their ten piece final collection at home. While Seth Aaron and Emilio are sailing pretty, Jay and Mila had to face-off. Tim's visits are probably the best episode for Tim fanatics. He gets to interact with the contestants, but also becomes human watching him eat meals and ride bikes. I need to have a looped gif of Tim on the trampoline from this episode.

On the whole, I'm impressed by the unfinished collections of all the contestants; they all look like they were closer to finished product than previous seasons. The contestants have very distinct points of view so it will be very interesting to see how the finale pans out.

Seth Aaron - Vancouver, WA - Seth Aaron has this insane idea of getting 20 outfits ready for fashion week and paring it down to the ten that he's feeling. I guess he would have been safe if there was a random twist involving making more clothes. His collection stays true to himself with a lot of leather and interesting pieces that follow the rock aesthetic. Seth Aaron manages to get Tim not only to bounce and fall on a trampoline, he gets Tim to play Pictionary. Tim screaming "fallopian tube!" as his guess for stethoscope was amazing. I want him on my Pictionary team.

Emilio - New York City - Emilio explains that he came from a rough upbringing in 70s Bronx and that gritty attitude was part of his inspiration. While showing Tim his collection, Tim isn't as enthusiastic about it. He probably was the sharpest with Emilio than he has ever been with any of the contestants (Kenley from Season 5 comes to mind). I wasn't feeling the graffiti/zipper jacket or Emilio's attitude to Tim. Kenley's attitude came to bite her in the ass, so I'm hoping that Emilio gets a karma smack.

Mila - Los Angeles - It seems like no surprise that Mila's inspiration, shadows, continues her love for black and white. It seemed like her life surroundings are black and white, including her dog. There was something really boring in general during the Mila segment, ranging from her sedated interviews to her passive dog.

Jay - San Francisco - Without even getting to the clothes, I have to love Jay's mother pointing out to Tim how she taught Jay about sewing dresses and pants. She is the typical Filipino mother and it made me smile. Jay's clothes are inspired by the Japanese Samurai and he brings a lot of interesting concepts to his collection. While I don't think that a lot of his clothes are easily transformed into ready to wear, I think that some concepts like the ripples could be translated. I never really thought much of Jay for comic relief, so his "Cuckoo Chanel" response to Tim was golden.

The contestants all arrive at New York. Mila and Jay are shocked to find out that they have only three hours to prep their muse models and two assigned models. They are all sent to hair and make-up, but neither really do anything outlandish with their styling. The only judges are Heidi, Michael, and Nina. As the clothes walk down, Mila's was well tailored, but still very Mila. My favorite of her pieces was probably the fish-scale dress because it was silver and not so black and white. I was more impressed by Jay's collection as a whole because it was a very head to toe collection. Sure, the jackets were a bit over the top, but just a bit of tailoring would have helped.

The two faced the judges. Mila's was different but cohesive, but the judges worried that her point of view was too narrow and her collection was not modern enough. Jay was complimented on his footwear, but was criticized that he may need to tailor his looks down. Mila advanced to the finale.

I'm really disappointed that Jay didn't show his final collection, because as much as I liked Mila's collection, the whole collection was a bit too old for my tastes. I do think that Mila was given a big advantage when the judges told her to style more youth into her makeup and hair. If she had made it to the finals without this face-off, she would have easily lost because her collection would have skewed old with the hair. Jay's was interesting and innovative. He could have easily toned down his collection to appease the judges.

I also wonder if having the face-off desensitizes the judges. I doubt Mila will win, but seeing three of her best pieces could have made the impact less. How did you find the elimination? Leave comments below.

kristie s.

I also would have liked to see Mya in the finale. Mila was
boring and the oldy reason she madde B park was cause
they needed a woman to round out the top three. Emilio needs to ditch his "hubris" attitude. His collection was more
for older women, his colore choices were bold and beau.
I felt it was Seth aaron from day 1

May 02 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gypsy3x4

Jay's clothes were way better. I was really disappointed that he didn't get to show his clothes on the show and just at fashion week. You can google him to see his full collection and it was beautiful! Mila does the same old boring color blocking in every thing she does and it's not chiq enough for young clientele.

April 18 2010 at 2:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StrawBerryCutie

This show is a joke and it is clearly fixed. Otherwise Mila's stupid, ridiculous black and white collection would never have made it to the runway. Jay's outfits were so much better. Sure, they were a little bit over designed...but at least they were innovative and unique. All of Mila's clothes have been seen and done before. There was absolutely nothing original about them.
What a joke.

April 17 2010 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

-FirstL It's a Reality SHOW. Five designers showed at Bryant Park (Anthony). So, when Heidi said the face-off was to earn a show at Bryant Park, she was lying. They both were gonna show there regardless of this made-for-TV shtick.
-Does anyone really think they'd cut the last woman designer?
-This contest is for TV. T win the TV thing and all the extras. If the only real motivation is Bryant Park (to strut your stuff) they had all already made that. I think making Bryant Park and winning buyers and fans is the real deal.
-Two of my all-season faves (not Emilio) made the last cut, so I am satisfied. Won't even watch the finale because it is always so hokey.
-Finally, I think they could do a nice recap of what has happened to some of the more succcessful designers since the shows aired. They sign them to two-year contracts post-show (to shut them up) and so they know here they all are.

April 16 2010 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I think that if she had stuck it out Maya would be the third designer with Seth Aaron and Emilio. I'll be very interested in her answer to Nina's question, "What is the real reason you quit?", on the reunion show.

April 16 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I'm personally disappointed the judges chose Mila over Jay, I don't find her color-blocking, black & white style very interesting OR appealing. But I don't think it really matters, the real competition is between Emilio & Seth Aaron. I personally am behind Seth Aaron based on the few leaked photos I was able to find from Bryant Park. I found his leaked outfit much more innovative, interesting, new and exciting than Emilio's almost retro-re-do. But it will down to watch the judges think... I say SETH AARON for the WIN!

April 16 2010 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Emilio does some of the best and worst stuff of the final 3. Sure, he's had some great challenge successes, but at the same time, he's also designed some hideous crap, including his signature fabrics... yuck.

What he showed Tim was ugly, gaudy, and laughable. That jacket with epilets looked like it was spray painted. Hideous collection, little taste when left to his own devices... plus that lisp is enough to make me want to pound my head into a wall... let alone being a jerk to Tim, who is only there to help provide insight into what the judges might think... and sure, Tim wasn't spot on with Emilio in every challenge this year, but I'd trust Tim overall, and certainly wouldn't be a dick to him.

And shocker, he got defensive and was an ass to Tim... only to do what? Oh yeah, we're told right before the end that what Emilio will show, 90% of it Tim hasn't seen... hmmmmmm.... Emilio was so confident of himself and dismissive of Tim, one wonders what EMILIO thought was so wrong that he had to start over? Certainly it wasn't what Tim thought or said, right? What a douche Emilio is...

Go Seth Aaron!

April 16 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I felt Emilio, Seth-Aaron, and Mila would be the final three over a month ago. They had a clear voice, and their tailoring was impeccable. Regarding Emilio and Tim's 'tension'...Come on, we know what's going on there [smh].

Anyway, This is Emilio's to lose. In at least 3 challenges, he has put something on the runway that was in a different league than the other designers, and they know it. Given the proper time, I know he will blow them away. Seth-Aaron comes closest to Emilio's polish, but he appears to be a one trick pony. Mila, while good, has problems with innovation.

I'm looking forward to a great finale.

April 16 2010 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply