September 30, 2014

'The Vampire Diaries' - 'Under Control' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 16th 2010 4:28AM
The Vampire Diaries: Under Control
(S01E18) "Have I entered an alternate universe where Stefan is fun?" - Damon

Somewhere in the last few episodes, things have shifted on 'The Vampire Diaries.' Now Damon seems like the good vamp (well, sort of; how fun was it to see his face when Uncle John came back from the dead?), while Stefan is going dark. I don't mind seeing Stefan go dark, because, frankly, he's a little boring being so virtuous all the time.

But he's not going willingly, that's for sure. He's trying hard to detox, but that drink of human blood last week -- Elena's blood -- gave him a wicked hunger that is not easily satisfied. Is there a 12-step program for vampires?

Plus, it sort of made me think, ok, would it be so bad for Stefan to drink human blood? As Damon said, "There's nothing wrong with partaking in a healthy diet of human blood from a blood bank. You're not actually killing anyone." Again with the thoughtful Damon -- it's creeping me out.

But it seems that there's more to it than just drinking the blood. It causes a personality change, one that isn't going to sit well with Stefan's relationship with Elena (or Matt, once Stefan beats him up for hanging out with Elena). He scared her several times in this episode, including getting rough during a makeout session, roughing up the rude guy at the Founder's Day party, and then suddenly appearing in her bedroom. We'll have to start calling him Spike soon enough -- all he needs is some bleached-blond hair, a leather jacket, and an ancient girlfriend named Drusilla.

I know some of you said WTF when I mentioned werewolves a while back, but that's where the Tyler story is headed, don't you think? We know werewolves can get testy when provoked, and that's just what happened when Matt got in Tyler's face after seeing him and his mom making out (and I totally don't blame Matt for kicking her out -- she's had plenty of chances, now get lost. Besides that, she looks more like his sister than his mom, and it confuses me).

But yeah, Tyler's a werewolf. I'll stand by that statement til the bitter end. Note the righteous scratches he left on Matt's face. My question is, does Tyler's father know? Does Tyler come by his werewolf heritage honestly? Or was his dad just being a royal daddy dearest when he slapped the kid and told him not to embarrass the family again?

David Anders is perfect as Uncle John. He looks just seedy enough to have traveled in the underbelly of the mystical world. And, oh, he's got some secrets, starting with the fact that he inherited one of the rings, while his brother, Grayson Gilbert, inherited the other. The ring John has is Grayson's, because John gave his to Isobel, who gave it to Alaric. We also learned that John sent Isobel to Damon when she wanted to become a vampire, and that he knows plenty about Katherine. There's six kinds of bad blood brewing there.

And there's also a time bomb ticking in Jeremy, now that he's read Elena's diary. He won't stop til he has all the answers he's looking for -- about Vicki, as well as other things. And how about that little verbal jab he gave Elena, after she told him she was adopted, and he kidded her about not being a Gilbert? If I was Jeremy, I'd be ticked, too, and even more ticked about all the other secrets she's keeping from him.

What did you guys think about this episode? What are your thoughts on my werewolf theory?

Epiphany_McFly

I've never read the books, but I saw the preview for the episode when Tyler beat up Matt with the whole mom situation and I was instantly like he's a werewolf! ha, and that was after I had already seen the actual episode. Its clearer in the commercial. And none of my friends have read the series either, so they're like oh no Tyler can't be! lol. can't wait til it comes out in the show.

May 01 2010 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zita

Yep, it's getting a bit weird how they're changing/improving Damon's character (apparently). However, calling him "nasty" is being a bit too kind: HE'S BEEN EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! At least until the last couple eps... So, unless he has a double personnality disorder, is schizophrenyc... I wouldn't like him hooking up with Elena... unless Elena turns out to suffer the same "disorder" and is more similar to Catherine than she's shown us so far. And THAT would be too convoluted, right?

April 18 2010 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zita

April 18 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

yup, to the Mayor's son Tyler being a future werewolf, last time he got into a fight - I think it was with one of Vicki's druggie friends, there was a shot of a full moon before the fight and after his fight with Matt in this episode a full moon shot obvious hints, I'd say

April 16 2010 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fifi

Thank goodness for recaps! Something weird was going on with the sound. All I had was the background noises and music but not a peep from the actors. Very irritating!

April 16 2010 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BethBell

Well I read the Vampire Diary Books they were wonderful but I do have to wonder were things are going to go with the show... FYI Tylor is a Warewolf and he is killed in the books because he tries to attack Elana but well the show is tending not to go with the books really so I dont know how there going to play it off... But then there is also points that they have completly not included and also Damon and Elana will have something going on probably here soon but will it be while his brother is battling with his craving... But if you like the show and havent read the books you need to they are wonderful and worth the read if your like me you will finish them with in days but they are worth it...love the show but have to say love the books better

April 16 2010 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucy

I totally agree with you about Tyler being a werewolf!! I've thought that now for a couple of episodes past, like the one where Tyler is outside at night, of course, and then the camera cuts to a full moon. Now if he comes by it naturally or not, I'm not sure, but it would explain why the Town Council hates vampires so much. Maybe they are all werewolves! LOL! And I do like that Damon isn't nasty all the time. He and Elena have A LOT of chemistry between them, and I dare say maybe even more so than with Stefan. And Uncle John is way creepy, but in a very good way. I thought last nights episode was great! I'm so sad that there are only three episodes left before the re-runs kick in, but at least I'll have those to hold me over until the new seaeson starts.

April 16 2010 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply