August 28, 2014

Jane After Dark: 'Supernatural' - Season Four Ends, the Apocalypse Begins

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 17th 2010 11:05AM
Supernatural, Lucifer Rising
You know how I told you guys I'd probably finish season four of 'Supernatural' and then wait for season five to be released on DVD? Yeah, that's not gonna happen. After watching the season four finale, I immediately started buying episodes of season five from iTunes (I couldn't find a good place to see them online for free - if you know of any, pass the word along). At this writing, I'm just about to watch 'The End.'

The mythology has really kicked into high gear during seasons four and five, and if perchance demons destroyed all the ways I could watch season five, I'd have to break into Eric Kripke's office and steal the scripts so I could find out what happens next.

But let's go back to those last two episodes of season four.

'When the Levee Breaks'

They had me at Sam's demon intervention, when Dean and Bobby locked him up in that demon-proof cell in the basement. This exchange, after Sam's been screaming in agony for a while, pretty much says it all:

Dean: "How long's this gonna go on?"
Bobby: "Here, let me look it up in my demon-detox manual. Oh, wait, no one ever wrote one."

The angels also continued to mystify me. They're dashing all my visions of angels being wise and good creatures who ride along on peoples' car hoods and keep them from crashing into trees. Especially Zachariah.

And things really heated up between Dean and Sam. The fact that Sam chose Ruby over Dean is just heartbreaking, but I just tell myself that he's not himself, he's possessed, he's got demon blood running through his veins, he doesn't know what he's doing. Until ...

'Lucifer Rising'

Lilith is the last seal! And Sam is sucked right into the trap of killing her himself, thus opening the door and letting Lucifer out. Oh, snap. The one bright spot is that Dean, imprisoned in his gilded room by the angels, finally talks some sense into Castiel, who bloodies up the wall, sends Zachariah off to parts unknown, and travels with Dean (by car, not angel mojo) to find Sam.

Except, when Dean gets there, Sam will have none of it, and knows not what he does by killing Lilith. Ack! The only good thing to come out of this is that Ruby dies, although something tells me she'll be back, because no one ever stays dead on this show.

Season Five So Far

Dean's the Michael sword! Sam is Lucifer's vessel! It's brother against brother! And Castiel's a sad hero!

While I don't like Sam and Dean being on the outs, it does give Dean and Castiel the opportunity to work together, and they're pretty fun partners. And as Dean said, being alone means he doesn't have to worry about Sam and he's sort of free from his family constraints -- well, as free as Dean Winchester could ever be, which is not much.

The angels continue to confound me. Can angels die? I guess so, because they've been getting killed left and right. Can God die? So says Raphael to Dean and Castiel. Ok, I'm not totally up on my Bible verses, but isn't God supposed to come back and take all the Christians to Heaven?

Anyway, Mark Pellegrino is way too pretty to be Lucifer. And so is Jared Padalecki.

Dang, I was really hoping to get caught up so I could watch the 100th episode last week, but I'm not quite there yet. Maybe by this coming week, I'll be up to the current episode and can start reviewing the show -- if Joel gives me the go-ahead, that is.

Katie

You can watch at www.watch-supernatural-online.com

April 19 2010 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Asillo

You can watch all the episodes at http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/supernatural/season_5.html. It really good quality and you don't have to sign up for anything. :)

April 18 2010 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Well, Lucifer, if I recall correctly, was one of God's most beautiful creations, so maybe that's what the show was going for. The idea of a hideous looking devil is really an invention of man, more than biblical fact, at least before his fall. But it's really nit-picking, which, if I picked on everything this show does that is not actually accurate to my particular beliefs (God checks out, lets the angels run amuck), I'd ruin a good show. It's just fiction. It's a fun show, but you can't let the differences spoil it the fun ( I'm talking about myself, not the reviewer.) Enjoy catching up, even the so-so episodes are enjoyable.

April 18 2010 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I cannot wait for you to catch up and see episode 100. As said before, there are some weak episodes of Season 5 compared to other seasons and some brotherly stuff have been overdone. But otherwise? Let's just say Episode 100 was a pretty damn good episode 100.

April 17 2010 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coco

Season 5 has been hit or miss for me but thankfully the hits have far exceeded the misses. Eppies like The End and Changing Channels, Abandon all Hope, and especially the last 3, Dark Side of the Moon, 99 Problems, and Point of No Return, have knocked it out of the park so having to deal with ones like Fallen Idol and Swap Meat (which totally disappointed me) is doable in my opinion. I can't wait til you catch up with the rest of us.

April 17 2010 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hillary

glad your enjoying this show. Season five gets a bit frustrating because some of the episodes are really bad, but the good ones (like the first 4, and Changing Channels) Piracy is probably your best option, unless you bought the season pass from itunes. The CW hasn't really made this show available online on their site (they only show the previous weeks episode). A strange decision since their market is young people who are online a lot.

April 17 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo

Well done, Jane, asking for assistance with piracy. Because no one who provides entertainment should get compensation, right? Who do they think they are?

April 17 2010 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jo's comment
jboursaw

Oh no! Definitely not advocating piracy. I'm the piracy cop. But it just seems like most TV shows are online after the ep airs, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some legal way to see it. I'll just keep buying from iTunes. I also wish The CW would put their shows on 'On Demand,' but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

April 17 2010 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

fastpasstv.com has most to all of the 5th season for free

April 17 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justsayin

Check out this link for season 5.

The End is one of my fave eps of the series. Wait until you see Sam near the end.

This season has more of my fave eps of the series, but season 4 flows better storywise. But I love this show.

Good blog!

April 17 2010 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justsayin

Check out this link for season 5

Also, the End was one of my fave eps of the series (wait til you see Sam near the end). This season has a lot of my faves even if it doesn't flow as well as season 4.

April 17 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply