April 24, 2014

'Stargate Universe' - 'Faith' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 17th 2010 11:35AM
stargate universe faith
(S01E13) 'Faith' didn't deliver the thrills of 'Space' or the suspense of last week's episode, 'Divided.' Instead, we got a calmer hour full of lush scenery and characters relating to each other with a "spirit of cooperation."

I was glad to see the civilian vs. military conflict start to die down. I'd much rather watch the characters try to relate to one another on a personal level than be divided by their job descriptions.

I'm really starting to enjoy the show's quiet storytelling style, and the characters are finally growing on me. Eli used to be my favorite of the bunch - and he's still up there thanks to his 'Wrath of Khan' reference last night - but I've become very invested in Johansen's story. She's the most human character on the show, which speaks to Alaina Huffman's excellent performance. Hopefully the major development regarding Johansen in this ep will only make the character stronger.

Johansen has a lot of potential. Not counting Rush or Eli, she's probably the smartest person on the ship. (Plus she's not crazy!) Like I mentioned last week, she's the one person not named Everett Young who is capable of commanding Destiny. But can she do it while preggers? Time will tell.

So let's get into the main plot of this ep. It reminded me of the last few hours of 'Battlestar Galactica's second season, when the Colonials discovered New Caprica and most of the fleet decided to remain on the planet. Of course, the Cylons didn't break into the atmosphere this time to occupy the planet and enslave the humans. Instead, the crew discovered an obelisk that also seemed to be a giant beacon in the middle of Eden. And the scientists concluded that the planet and the star, and maybe even the entire solar system, were designed and built by an advanced alien race.

The discovery of the planet had some people believing in a higher power or divine intervention. Dr. Cain was the most vocal about this idea. I thought his plan to settle on the planet and wait for its creators to return had some merit. If these mysterious space architects can build an Earth-like planet, maybe they could help the crew get back home. It's an intriguing idea, and I hope we go back to it later this season.

Much like Rush, I was bummed about not learning who built the planet and why. My first thought was that The Ancients must have created it. They seem to be one of the most advanced races in the Stargate franchise. But why would the planet not show up on Destiny's radar if the Ancients built it? And why would there be no Stargate on the planet? It's more likely that it was created by a different race or some kind of very powerful unknown being.

Last night's ep also finally brought back the funny -- first with Eli's Genesis Project reference and later with every single thing that came out of Greer's mouth. Jamil Walker Smith is both a defiant badass and a natural comedian. We need more of this guy cracking wise on the show to break up the atmosphere of doom and gloom so prevalent on Destiny.

Other thoughts:

- We got a great friendly scene between Eli and Wray. Seeing these two share a space kiwi and lounging together on the observation deck was a nice surprise. Maybe that Wray isn't so bad after all, huh?

- Rush was really hurting in this ep. Still, I don't trust the guy. But it was nice to see Young try to connect with him in the last act.

- Eli needs to man up. I'm starting to get tired of watching him cower at any sign of potential danger. I know he' supposed to be the "regular" guy, but I'd like to see the character grow and show us some of the spirit he had in the pilot.

- I guess Chloe and Scott are still split, even though they had a month on a beautiful planet to work it out.

- I can't wait to see our old pal, Dr. Daniel Jackson, on next week's ep.

AndrewKA

I remember this episode, it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t one of my favorites either. This show has actually made me decide to finally get the TV everywhere service through DISH Network set up. Now I’ve been a subscriber to DISH for years (and recently became employed through them as well) but I procrastinated on getting TV everywhere because…well, I don’t really know why. But now with SyFy bringing Stargate Universe back to finish up the story I decided to get it taken care of. It turned out to be really easy to set up and now I can watch any of my live or DVR content anywhere I go on my iPad or laptop (it’s actually compatible with a bunch of mobile devices). This is going to redefine my entertainment while I’m traveling! I’ll be able to keep up on Stargate Universe along with the other shows I care about in those evening off hours in my hotel room, where previously I was bored out of my mind. Knowing now, how easy it all was and how well it works, I’ve been recommending DISH’s TV everywhere to everyone I meet that also travels. It’s wonderful my only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner.

March 03 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

The military personnel didn't have a choice. They are in the military and have to follow orders. If they don't want to follow orders they have to quit and turn over their weapons and stuff and become civilians. Young ordered them back and they had to go.

Young appealed to Johansen's sense of duty to get her to come back because basically she is actually not in the military any more. Her enlistment ended a few days after they arrived on Destiny. I figured she would go back anyway. She wanted to stay so that Young would never know she was pregnant. Young still loves his wife (even if she doesn't love him very much any more) and not her. Staying on the planet was simpler than having that conversation with him. But personally I would have felt safer having my kid on board the Destiny than on a planet that I know nothing about. At least on Destiny you can contact earth if there is a problem.

Figured it would be Chloe who got knocked up. It is bound to happen. I mean honestly how many condoms could they have brought with them? Birth control pills you only get one month at a time from the pharmacy so expect a lot of babies!

April 19 2010 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

I wonder if any of the civilians who stayed knew how to fly the shuttle???

April 19 2010 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stargate Complex

They DID NOT all return!

I just found out myself through Joseph Mallozzi's blog! :D

as you might have guessed, Dr. Kaine "stayed behind with about a half dozen of his fellow crew members".

April 18 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stargate Complex's comment
ashe

Only a handful of civilians along with Dr. Cain remained behind on the planet. Dont you remember when the commander went down on the damaged shuttle, he gave them an ultimatum, all military personnel must returned to Destiny, otherwise none gets to stay and he would round them up by force and take them back to Destiny. I agree with Dr. Rush, dont allow any of them to stay on the planet, but the commander chose to let the civilians stay if they wanted to, the civilians were really expendable, the ones who didn't really have any skills, but the military personnel should be kept, they are valuable to the mission and the ship and its survival.

April 18 2010 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
e

Again with looking for someone else to lead! What are you, one of those actors that just needs to improvise on a script? They are going out of their way to create characters with tension to "give" the lead to a pregnant lieutenant who was about to get out of the armed forces before getting lost in space? Come on. I hated the whole tension between the lead actors but the last couple of episodes shows that it works.

And no, this is not nearly as bad as BSG when it comes to "drama", that was ridiculous, but at least the cylons where cool.

Yes, this episode was good, specially the end. It would have been more satisfying with a little bit of exploration. At least show us the obelisk a bit closer.

April 18 2010 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

I like TJ better with her hair up. With her hair up she (I swear) looks like she could play one of those Greek Goddesses in those sword and sandal movies. Put a crown and a white gown on her and she could be the classic Greek or roman queen. Wray is exotic and lovely but annoying. Cloe is beautiful, but too spoiled and manipulative for my taste. Only my opinion....the expert on beautiful women.

This episode was fine but lacked a certain punch to it. Sometimes, I feel those scenes when they portray the people all frolicking about and sharing good moments are just filler....I feel the time should be better utilized. I suppose the mystery about the planet was supposed to appeal to our cerebral appetite but I wanted a hotter climax. Oh well, this series is designed to be an on-going story, so I can live with it, since it was interesting.

April 17 2010 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
bsgfan2003

I thought TJ's hair down looked great!

April 17 2010 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

What about the broken shuttle? Young left behind spare parts for the only working shuttle. Why is leaving 11 people not a good thing? The ship only has so much food, water and habitable areas.

April 17 2010 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Obelisk is probably an automated warning.. "fat, moody, pregnant girl ahead, engage cloak, change solar systems". I can see Young, Rush and the blue aliens having a beer over baby mama drama.

April 17 2010 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

They all returned.

Am I the only one that thinks it's Dr. Cain?

Last episode was the first time we had ever seen him, isn't it? And now he's the one in this episode that is entirely focused on the obelisk aliens, almost guaranteeing they'd help... believing it was destiny.

In the comments for the last review I mentioned the TNG episode where the alien wipes the crew's mind and pretends to be the first officer. I think that's what is happening here... to an extent.

He showed up last week out of the blue and this week we know his role. Wonder what our new friend will be up to next week?

April 17 2010 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Alex99

Well, realize there are probably a goodly number of people on Destiny that we haven't been introduced to yet. It was quite a crowd that ended up on the ship and we deal pretty much with just the core group (Rush, Young, Eli, Scott, Chloe, Wray, Greer, TJ), the secondary group (Volker, Brody, James, Park, Becker, Franklin) and then there is everyone else, quite a few actually. Some we haven't even seen by name yet.

April 17 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

so, did everyone return to Destiny? or did some non-military folks stay behind?

April 17 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply