October 24, 2014

AMC Denies Season 6 End for 'Mad Men'

by Rich Keller, posted Apr 20th 2010 10:20AM
'Mad Men' ending after season 6? According to AMC, don't believe what you read.Have you ever had one of those moments, in which you find out that someone you know had said or done something without telling you first? If so, welcome to AMC's world.

As we reported yesterday, Weiner told an audience at last weekend's NAB convention that 'Mad Men' would wrap its run up after season 6. AMC's response? Uh, not exactly.

Apparently, Weiner never told the network of his intentions, so, in an attempt to ease the surprise and anger of fans, AMC issued a response saying that no date had been set for the show to end. The statement went on to say that it trusts Weiner's vision for the show and its future direction.

Needless to say, this may drag on for a bit. In the meantime, fans can at least take comfort in some more positive news from the 'Mad Men' front: According to the Hollywood Reporter, the show's highly anticipated fourth season will officially kick off on Sun., Jul. 25 at 10PM ET.

Adele Roberson

You are all concerned about the show moving into the 70's. Why? The automobiles are showing it is just now in 1966. To me, it seems that one season.. the weeks, are probably one year. Remember that John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. I think you are moving too fast to be worried about the 70's. I was thirty-six in 1963.. I really love this show. Their research is so good and there is so much to look at in the camera I sometimes I have to watch it twice to get the entire story. There does, however, seem to be a descrepancy in the children ages with the time allotted.

June 14 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Hmmm.....pretty funny if you ask me.

April 21 2010 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Given that Season 1 ended with Kennedy's election, and that each subsequent season has ended with a major event, albeit also with Kennedy), I know I'm not the only one speculating what event Season 6(?) will use as its end. Of all the countless reasons why I love Mad Men, one is that it can never separate itself from a preexisting fairly rigid timeline of historical events.

April 21 2010 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

I don't think there should be any seasons of Mad Men taking place in the 70's it would seem out of place

April 20 2010 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Topher

I was actually in the room at the panel at NAB where Weiner made this comment. It was in response to a question asking if he had an idea where the show would end. He responded that he did have a story in mind for the final season, but that he didn't know when that would be, as it would depend on the network, ratings, etc.. but that he couldn't really see the show going beyond 6 seasons. He went on to state that it's better to leave the audience wanting more, and that you should end a show before you get bored with it, as the audience can smell the boredom.

So it wasn't a definitive "We're ending after season 6" but more of a "we have an ending in mind" He also said in the same statement that they're at about the halfway point with the show, and since they just finished shooting season 4, i'd say he's imagining between 6 and 8 seasons.

April 20 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I wondered about that when I read yesterday's post.

Don't make the assumption AMC wants it to run longer, though. Who's to say they won't end it after four or five seasons?

April 20 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Keller

I'm not sure where season 4 is starting, but there's still a whole bunch of the 60s to work with. Though, if they went into the very early 70s I think they could still keep the style of the show.

April 20 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I'd have thought that fans of the show would be relieved that there was a tangible ending in sight. It isn't necessary for every successful show to continue forever. Besides, 'Mad Men' is so solidly anchored in the Sixties... taking some of its characters into the Seventies sounds like a job for a spin-off.

April 20 2010 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply