April 25, 2014

'Damages' - 'The Next One's Gonna Go In Your Throat' Recap (Season Finale)

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 20th 2010 8:30AM
(S03E13) "When I die, I don't want to be buried and put in the ground. I want to be cremated ... I want my ashes scattered here." - Patty to Ellen, as the two of them stand on the dock at Patty's cottage

If this is indeed the end for 'Damages,' it seems like a pretty nice way to go out. Sony is still in talks with DirectTV to work out a deal to save the show, and I can visualize it moving forward. But it would definitely be a re-boot, now that Tom Shayes is out of the picture.
Damages, Season 3 FinaleI'll hypothesize that the next season -- should it happen -- would be about the relationship between Ellen and Patty. They're really on equal footing now, and, frankly, they're all each other has in the world.

More about that, the mysterious horse, the bloody purse, and the body plummeting into the East River after the jump.

So we learned what the horse and Patty's flashbacks were all about. Some of you called it a while ago. A young Patty had been pregnant -- as in nine months pregnant -- and wandered out to a horse farm, where she saw none other than ... Julian Decker. He was the one who said, "A baby's a big responsibility." Note that her baby's name was Julia.

But Patty wasn't supposed to be walking, or moving around at all, for that matter. The doctor had told her to stay on bed rest until the baby was born. Patty did the exact opposite, as if she wanted to lose the baby, so -- as she told Ellen -- she'd be "free to start her career." But she continues to mourn for that baby, and always will. Also note that she didn't give Ellen an answer when Ellen asked if everything Patty had sacrificed for her career was worth it. Complete silence from Patty. Would love to hear your theories on the meaning of the look that Patty gave Ellen as Ellen was walking away from her on the dock.

Jill was just fooling herself if she didn't think that crossing Patty would come back to bite her in the butt. Now she's in prison -- for having sex with a minor (that would be Michael) -- and when she has the baby, Michael will have sole custody. No, he's not ready to raise a child alone, but Patty will be there to help him. That had to be like a dagger in Jill's heart, but she made that bed when she took Patty's money and didn't follow through on her promise to go away. Still, that was a lot for Patty to ask, but ... she's Patty, so we'd expect nothing less.

That was a pretty awesome scene when Wes showed up in the back of Frobisher's car, and Frobisher cried like a baby with that gun pointed straight at his head. Ellen didn't want Wes giving himself up to put Frobisher away, but that's exactly what happened. But you had to love it when Wes told Frobisher: "I spoke to Ellen Parsons. She's not looking for justice. I'd like her to have some anyway." Nice shout-out for the new show. And it was pretty cool to see Ray Fiske again, wasn't it? Even if he was a ghost in Frobisher's demented head.

It's not often you hear the actual phrase, "You are dead to me," in a serious setting, but it was just the right one when Joe told Marilyn that she'd never see him, Rachel or her grandchild again. What a messed up family the Tobins are. It makes you wonder if some of the Ponzi schemers are in a similar state of messed-up-ness.

Marilyn also relayed the fact that Louis and Danielle never had an affair. He was only supporting her so that he could support his granddaughter Tessa, Joe's daughter. It was a very poignant scene when Marilyn watched those old home movies, then had the cab driver take her to the East River so she could throw herself off the bridge.

We finally got the big reveal about who was driving the car that smashed into Patty, how the cops ended up with Ellen's bloody purse, who Patty was crying to on the phone ("I told you not to go through with it! I told you to stop!"), who stabbed Tom (over and over), and how Ellen came to have the envelope with Patty's name crossed off and her name written in its place (Lenny called that one right). Did it play out like you thought it would?

After Jill was taken away by the cops, and then Ellen saw Michael in Patty's apartment, I suspected that he might possibly be the driver. The flash-forwards we've been seeing all season made it seem like Tom was the one who either leaped or was thrown off the bridge. Not so. Joe Tobin drowned him in a toilet in his own house.

You really couldn't blink during those last ten minutes of the show, or you'd miss a whole bunch of crucial information. As always, though, things were wrapped up -- although it seems like we still had some of Ellen's family story hanging out there. Still, great ending to another twisty-turny season of 'Damages.'

Overall, how do you feel about this season of 'Damages'? Were there any questions you didn't get answered? And are you hoping it continues on with season four?

Tool

Great great season. So-so finale.

April 23 2010 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saragee

Great season of Damages but I have to say the death of Tom was so disturbing. He was such a great character and to see him go in such an awful way was horrifying.

April 21 2010 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Saragee's comment
4beard

I agree, it was very hard to watch Tom get stabbed and drowned. I loved this charachter. Overall, I loved this season and think it was much better than season 2. The ending was very reminiscent of the way season 1 ended. . . both Patty and Ellen on the end of the dock with Ellen trying to decide what was next for her.

I love Damages and hope it comes back next season!!!

April 22 2010 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

Given that Wes got Frobisher to agree to turn himself in for killing Ellen's fiancee, there was no need for Wes to turn himself in for his partner's murder. So when Wes told the police operator that he wanted to solve 2 crimes instead of 1, I think Wes was going to make Frobisher confess to Wes's crime too. Am I off track there?

I am still really confused by the whole horse farm/architect situation. The Damages creator explained this in an interview:

April 21 2010 at 5:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kate's comment
Jason

Frobisher didn't agree to turn himself in, he just begged for Wes not to kill him. Wes decided that instead of killing him, he'd turn himself in and implicate Frobisher in the process.
Considering what a dirty cop Messer was, I can't imagine Wes getting THAT serious of a sentence after turning himself in.
As far as the "architect" - the modern version of him was just a hallucination/memory by Patty. She's remembering him because he's the farmer she met when she was pregnant. I guess she went horseback riding in an attempt to abort her baby, and now her memory of the farmer is haunting her.

April 22 2010 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Hey guys, I've figured out everything, but someone PLEASE, PLEASE tell me why Patty says "I told you not to go through with it! I told you to stop!" and whom she says it to?!?!?!?!?!?! Thanks.

April 21 2010 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to John's comment
kate

Patty kept remembering her son's warning that everyone around her either dies or leaves. She didn't want that to happen to Tom & Ellen, so she decided to sacrifice the case and told Tom & Ellen to not go through with the deal with Leonard Winstone. It's major since Patty has always valued her career over everything (stressing her pregnancy to the point of miscarriage so she could be a lawyer in New York) but she sacrificed winning for her friends.

April 21 2010 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saragee

Patty was talking to Ellen. She had just found out about Tom's death and told Ellen "I told you not to go through with it" because she had told them previously to just drop the whole agreement with Lenny, and obviously they did not listen.

April 21 2010 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reggie

No way can I believe that Michael happened to steal Tom's car and smash in to Patty's. Just completely unbelievable.

It seemed to me that when Marilyn got in her final taxi, Zedeck was the driver, with the implication that he pushed her off the bridge.

April 21 2010 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

Not as good as season 1 or 2. Would like to see a season 4.

April 20 2010 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex Strother

Great song caps the season 3 finale - "Everybody Knows" (Leonard Cohen song) covered by Holly Figueroa. It's from her "Gifts and Burdens" CD - available at iTunes, and all the rest.

Or go to www.hollyfigueroa.com too, I guess.

April 20 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georjajiim

Patty was coming to terms that sometimes the ends don't justify the means...a realization she had never allowed herself to absorb before. THe thoughts of Michael telling her: People end up leaving your or dyng. She didn't want that to happen to Tom and Ellen.

Loved the episode. Wish we knew what was in the gift that David gave Ellen in season one.

The final shot on the dock: WOW. Who but Glenn Close could put so much across without uttering a word AND having her eyes covered by sunglasses. That should win the Emmy alone. And the final shot with Ellen coming towards the camera and at opposite end, Patty turning her head to look at her. To me it was Patty seeing herself all those years ago, but knowing Ellen would not make the same mistakes/sacrifices; Ellen heading in one direction to move on with her life, and Patty nearing the end of her career, at the end of the dock....just staring and remembering. For a moment I thought Patty might jump in the water.

April 20 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hanna

I agree that this was a good series finale. This season was certainly better than last.

What I wonder is where was this dumpster that everyone and everything ended up, and with a homeless man living nearby. Is this the only dumpster in Manhattan?

And, I was kinda glad that Lenny got away. From the Tobins, from his past and, one hopes, from his dad, even though Dad did come through.

April 20 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gator

Perhaps I am a bit thick-headed, but why did Patty simply tell Tom and Ellen to stop, "it's over"? Was it because she was sympathetic to Carol Tobin and therefore wasn't going to pursue the case's closure, even if it meant failing her clients, etc.?

That left me confused. If someone has insight, I'd appreciate it.

April 20 2010 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to gator's comment
Rhomboid

Prior to that moment, she expressed to Tom and Ellen that she was worried that Lenny couldn't be trusted, but they reassured her that the risk had to be taken. She had also been remembering her son telling her that everyone in her life either dies or leaves her, a line whose truth hurt her greatly. And all the while she's been having nightmares about how she sacrificed her daughter for the sake of her career. Putting these all together she foresaw a Tobin reprise and decided that protecting the people close to her was more important than winning and told them to call it off and just throw away the case. I'd say that's a rather critical moment for Patty -- perhaps the first time in her life that she let anything come between her and winning. This explains why she lost it when she heard that they had ignored her wishes and went ahead with the plan, causing Tom's death exactly as she had feared, all because of how deeply she had instilled the desire to win into Ellen and Tom.

April 21 2010 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply