December 26, 2014

How Will 'Lost' End? It Doesn't Matter

by Jo Garfein, posted Apr 20th 2010 1:00PM
LostWhile it might be an unpopular stance, there are a large number of 'Lost' fans who will be satisfied with the series finale regardless of how it ends. These are the dedicated viewers who simply do not care whether or not Kate winds up with Jack or Sawyer, why Walt was special or which characters survive the last episode.

Many questions and mysteries will not be addressed by or in the show's final two hours, so fans may want to prepare themselves for that outcome.

The truth is that there are thousands of 'Lost' fans who trust series co-creators and executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof to provide them with a finale consistent with the high quality of every episode leading up to it for six seasons. These are the same viewers that have enjoyed every single episode for their own reasons, even the infamous, much maligned 'Stranger in a Strange Land.'

Although Cuse and Lindelof have stated that 'Lost' will not end in a similarly polarizing fashion as 'The Sopranos,' fans who have nitpicked and vented their frustration for six years are bound to find themselves dissatisfied when all is said and done.

But maybe it doesn't matter how 'Lost's' mythology, relationships and story are resolved. Instead of focusing on the loose ends that may never been answered, think about how the show has impacted your life. For almost six years, 'Lost' has transcended from a weekly television show into a consistent companion, conversation piece and thought-provoking source of intelligent discourse for millions of people. The series has been a lightning rod for many, sparking new interests in literary classics, the Bible and subjects varying from Egyptian mythology to astrophysics. Take a look in your rear view mirror at the friendships that you've formed along the way, at how you've been inspired to write, podcast or chat about a show with people you may never have crossed paths with before; 'Lost' has been the common denominator.

At 9PM ET on May 23, 'Lost' fans will be exhilarated in anticipation. At 11PM, they will no doubt be emotionally drained. Those who do not cry themselves to sleep will be unable to turn off their analytical brains and seek out fellow night owls in mourning online.

In the big picture, it truly does not matter how 'Lost' ends because you will have experienced 121 episodes of unparalleled adventures on and off of a fictional island.

Do you care how 'Lost' ends?

[Follow @jopinionated on Twitter!]

Elijah

I have been saying purgatory since the 1st season.

Final scene: Jack wakes up on the plane sweating and panicing. At that moment you hear the engines begin to fail and the plane starts to crash. We end the show with the 1st scene from season 1 of the plane crashed on the beach and the look on Jacks face as he realizes it is all starting over again.

May 04 2010 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
helas

Now that the series has wrapped shooting, it doesn't matter what I want, because my pleas to the creators would now be "too late" (unless they travel back in time and listen to me, dammit)
All I really want for the finale is for it to follow the rules that the show has set for itself, pay attention to detail, and address all of our beloved Losties...I may not be happy with the fates awaiting everyone, but it will be okay as long as we get payoffs that don't feel forced. As for the mysteries, as Darlton said, "if it's important to our characters, then it's important to the story." Perfect. I have faith.
Oh, and long live John Locke!

April 28 2010 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ads

Help me Jack, you're our only hope! (repeat 7 times in a Carrie Fisher type voice).

April 27 2010 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christine garrett

I truly love "Lost" and don't care how it ends..i never really know what the heck is going on anyway but it doesn't seem to matter. We are all gonna miss it!

April 22 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

No, it doesn't matter.....

Because Lost isn't the "Real Narnia".

April 21 2010 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

I just realized that every season finale of Lost ends with something blowing up. Season 1: hatch door explodes. Season 2: hatch explodes. Season 3: the Looking Glass explodes. Season 4: the freighter explodes. Season 5: the Swan Station construction site explodes. And as for season 6, my guess is that the plane that is supposed to get the survivors off the island explodes.

April 21 2010 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

How will/would I vent? Why would I? It'll have been 6 seasons of quality writing and storylines wrapped up in a fashion that was advanced through character development that made you think.

April 21 2010 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derick Brown

I'm one of the fans who is just ready to let them tel me what happens. I care, but I know that my expectations are just a tool to be obliged or defied. It's really exciting that this will will wrap up a story.

April 20 2010 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

My 2004 Beta-verse self doesn't care so much, but my 2007 Alpha-verse really cares how it ends! We're all interdimensionally conflicted. As long as they don't do some silly "Glee" cross-over, I would so smoke-monster at that!

Anyway, though I'll be somewhat despondent at the conclusion of this great series, I'll just throw more energy into "V", "FlashForward", and hopefully ABC's new "Happy Town". Namaste.

April 20 2010 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shar

I do not care how it ends either Jo. Your article is spot on!!

April 20 2010 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply