'American Idol' - 'Idol Gives Back/1 of 7 Voted Off' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 21st 2010 11:09PM
American Idol, Idol Gives Back 2010
It's "Inspiration Week" on 'American Idol,' which means the Idols sang inspirational songs on Tuesday, and 'Idol Gives Back' was on tap for tonight. It's truly amazing how much this charitable endeavor helps people around the globe. It's not easy to see all of the suffering going on in the world -- especially the children -- but it's really easy to pick up the phone and make a small donation that could save a kid's life.

Tonight, celebrities reported on the huge malaria problem in Africa; Save the Children; a food bank in Monrovia, Calif.; and global health, among others. At the end of the show, Simon Cowell reported that $15 million had been raised during the two hours the show aired. That's awesome. For more info and to learn how you can give, check out 'Idol Gives Back.'

The eclectic mix of celebrities and presenters included President and Mrs. Obama, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Garner, Ben Affleck, Victoria Beckham, Jonah Hill, Russell Brand and Captain "Sully" Sullenberger.

Queen Latifah co-hosted from Pasadena, and performers included the Black-Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys, the Mary J. Blige All-Star Band (with Randy Jackson on bass guitar), Elton John, Wanda Sykes, Carrie Underwood, Jeff Beck and Joss Stone.

A few highlights:

Jonah Hill and Russell Brand insisted on manning the "phone banks," only no one of interest showed up. It was a little odd, though, because they had a fake Woody Allen, Marilyn Monroe and Tom Cruise, but the real Slash, former Idol Tatiana del Toro and Octomom and some of her kids (at least, I think it was the real Octomom -- it certainly looked like her). Then the real Jim Carrey showed up, but left because no one important was there. It just seemed a little weird that they'd have a few "real" people there, and call them unimportant. But, whatever.

Ryan Seacrest announced that "Mr. Lopez" won the prize of joining him on stage to man the microphone. It turned out to be George Lopez, who did his best Seacrest impression: "Dim the lights! Too dim, brighten the lights! Too bright, now I've got eyes like Danny Gokey! Disco Lights!" When they finally got the lights right, Lopez began judging the judges. Randy Jackson is safe, even though he says "dawg" more than George's relative who works at the dog pound. Kara's safe, even though no cute boy on the show is (camera pans awkwardly to Casey James). Ellen's safe, and when George got to Simon, he said, "Every now and then, wear a large T-shirt. I'm not saying your shirts are tight, Simon, but people at home can tell how cold it is in the studio."

I happened to check George's twitter feed right after this, and he tweeted: "I felt bad talking about Simon when I was wearing spandex under my suit!" Gotta love George.

As mentioned earlier, we saw a video of the judges and other celebs visiting people in need, but my favorite was Annie Lennox, who visited a young girl with AIDS. That poor girl looked so sick and deathly thin, like she wouldn't last another day, but a follow-up visit after she'd had medical care showed her healthy and thriving. That was a really inspiring segment.

Betwixt and between everything, we learned who would be going home this week. Tim Urban, Casey James and Aaron Kelly were in the bottom three, and Tim headed home.

Are you happy or sad to see the Comeback Kid go home? Honestly, it's no secret that he's not the best singer there, but he's adorable, and I'm happy he made it this far.

Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.

Martha

You should have saved your save. Big Mike is good but not that good, you should save AARON if necessary

April 23 2010 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BOOMERCHIK

Tim was long overdue to go but Aaron should have been gone a long time ago. It amazes me that either one of them could have made it to the top ten!

April 22 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BOOMERCHIK's comment
Marsha

Ditto!

April 22 2010 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Chris Thomas - I wondered about the $15 million, too. My daughter and I looked at each other and said, "Hmm, is that for just this show or for the entire run of American Idol?"

Even though it's a staggering amount, it didn't seem like enough for the entire run of the show. I checked around the web and it does appear that the $15 million was raised that night.

They also have some nice write-ups on where the money goes here:

April 22 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

Although Tim would never have won this show, I am still amazed to see Aaron who has absolutely no talent still there. I thought Josh Stone was great and the Mary J group was great but would have been better with a differnt singer as the lead. She always wants the performance to be about her and not the song which is a classic. Elton was ok too.

April 22 2010 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mitch's comment
Marsha

Mary J Blige has been consistant in the music business successfully for over 20 yrs and the way that she delivered that classic song is what she does best. Coincidently she did nothing different from what the Idol judges tell the contestants every week, which is to take the song and make it their own.

April 22 2010 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

The bottom three should have been the black eyed peas, russell brand and johan hill.

April 22 2010 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sjackson's comment
poloprincess

Absolutely right!! Did not enjoy the performance by "Fergie's labia." That is a shout-out to writer Magistra who first mentioned it in her online recap.

Way too long and too many failed attempts at comedy.

April 25 2010 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

My favorite performances of the night were Mary J and her all-star band's "Stairway to Heaven" and Carrie Underwood's "Change"...

I absolutely HATED all of the comedy bits (I'm looking at you Russell Brand, Johan Hill, George Lopez and especially you Wanda Sykes)...

And I correctly predicted the bottom 3, and I'm glad Tim's run has ended. He had some high moments like semi-final round "Hallelujah" and 2 weeks ago with "Can't Help Fallin' in Love", but he doesn't belong in the Top 6. He could easily find success in the pop arena if he's smart about it.

I'm worried for the contestants next week, although I love Shania (she was my favorite guest judge during audition rounds), I'm afraid her song book isn't going to have enough depth and with this crop of contestants that barely change up the songs they pick... let's just say, I'm worried.

April 22 2010 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

Almost every guest singer was horrible on the show. Their clothes were poorly chosen making all of them look weird and something was wrong with the monitor systerm or something cause they all sounded off key. If they were performing for Idol they would have been voted off. I am not totally sure but I think that Simon was announcing how much money has been raised through all of Idol Gives Back shows not just last nights. 15 million would be an incredible pull from one show.
Bill and Melinda Gates have the right to ask for money because all they do now is give away their money. The rest of the celebrities I don't know about so I can't judge. I do feel like Idol should do more than throw a telethon to get involved. It should match the donations or something.

April 22 2010 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I give me fair share of donations during the year. But I find it very uncomfortable to see famous rich people pleading for money especially in this economy. These rich people don't have to worry about a thing. The movie stars are still getting roles making millions. Bill Gates gives away billions a year but he could probably buy nets for the whole continent of Africa and not feel a pinch.

April 22 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lglymph

Typo: The 'singing' was not up to par.

April 22 2010 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lglymph

Tim seems nice enough, but it was time for him to go. The signing was not up to par.

And that was really Octomom, I wondered though, if those were really her kids or just little actors.

April 22 2010 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply