November 26, 2014

Four Cooking Channel Shows That Look Delicious

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 21st 2010 2:02PM
Food JammersIf you take your remote control and surf on over to Fine Living Network on May 31, well, it won't be there. Instead, you're going to see The Cooking Channel, Food Network's new channel devoted to food (of course), drinks, and travel. They've announced the lineup for the network's debut, and while some of the shows seem like something we could see on the parent network, there's enough quirky new stuff to grab your attention.

Some are using the word "edgy" to describe the new channel too, but unless they're breaking the necks of live chickens right on television, this is still just a food channel. Oh, wait, they actually are going to break chicken necks! Alrighty.

After the jump, my picks for the four shows that look the most interesting, as well as a quick rundown on what else we're going to see on the new channel.

1. 'Drink Up!' We need more shows on TV centered around booze. I don't mean 'Real World' or 'Jersey Shore' stars drinking and getting into fights, I mean a show about cocktails. This one is hosted by Darryl Robinson, bartender at New York City's Hudson Hotel.

2. 'Foodcrafters.' I'm more interested in amateur cooks who do things in their own kitchens than I am the latest hot restaurant trend, so this sounds like fun. Host Aida Mollenkamp goes around the country and finds out the cooking secrets of people who cook at home. This could be a cooking show where we actually learn something we can use.

3. 'Foodography.' Mo Rocca hosts this show, where he goes around the country and talks about the history of classic, famous foods and food trends. He's a funny guy, and classic American food and pop culture is always interesting, so this could be fun too.

Graham Kerr4. 'The Galloping Gourmet.' That's right, 'The Galloping Gourmet!' This isn't a new show with Graham Kerr, it's episodes of his classic show from the 60s and 70s. It's going to be part of Cooking Channel's nightly block of older shows, which will include Julia Child.

I'd actually like to see other older shows, if they're going to commit to showing stuff from the past. How about Sara Moulten's 'Cooking Live?' OK, maybe it's not "classic" in the same way Kerr and Child's shows are, but I'd just like to see it again (she currently has a show on PBS).

Here are the other shows:

• 'Unique Eats.' A look at new and exciting restaurants and food trends.
  • 'Food Jammers.' This is a popular show in Canada. I still have no idea what to expect though, except that it's about "a high-impact, low-fi culinary contraption conceived, designed, and constructed in the Jammers' warehouse studio. That's the Jammers in the pic above.
  • 'Spice Goddess.' How to make Indian meals using fresh spices and ingredients.
  • 'Indian Food Made Easy.' This is about pizza. Nah, it's about making Indian Food (easy)!
  • 'Cook Like An Iron Chef.' Chef Michael Symon and other Iron Chefs reveal their cooking secrets.
  • 'Caribbean Food Made Easy.' I sense a theme here.

Oh, the breaking-the-chicken-neck thing? Cooking Channel GM Michael Smith says that someone sent him a demo tape that showed someone breaking the necks of chickens at a restaurant, and he says that is actually something they would show on this new channel. Maybe they can even make a show out of it. 'The Next Chicken-Killing Cooking Channel Star.'

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

Maureen

Sorry to all of you who are happy about this change, but I'm not! I love Fine Living Network. What's going to happen to all my favorite shows, especially Whatever, Martha?

May 22 2010 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

You must have one dull ass life to want to sit and watch people cook.

April 26 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kitty

I remember when Graham Kerr, Julia child and Martin Yan, Yan can cook. Those were the good old days. These chefs were great. What ever happened to Graham, the last I heard his wife Trina took a stroke and that was a long time ago. I know Julia passed. What about Martin Yan. Todays shows on Food Network are great.Especially Paula. You have to love her, especially with her accent. Good luck to all the new shows.

April 26 2010 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tuckerton

Watching most (but not all) TV cooking shows are a waste of time, in that to learn how to cook, one must actually cook ... not just watch! Cooking involves the use of all six of our God-given senses ... (there are five):

#1. Taste

#2. Sight

#3. Smell

#4. Touch
(including irritations [ such as the sting of mustard and "Hot" spices such as ginger, and others]

#5. Sound

...and last but not least:

#6 "Common Sense"

Also learn to season by titration, sampling often and adjusting as needed. Do NOT rely on measurements per se.

April 26 2010 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Canyon

Thank you for coming up with something other than the Food Network. Their current stars have worn out their schtick, made their millions and have nothing new to show us. Time to move on Paula, Rachel, Guy, Emeril etc. I've had enough of all of you and your spin-offs. I'm tired of the fast paced competition shows too. How about some just plain down home cooking from around the globe that is less personality-driven and more about the food? I am hoping the food channel figures it out!

April 26 2010 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MoM

Please bring back the re-runs of Two Fat Ladies. I loved watching them. The recipes can probably be "slimmed" down. Their travels and biographies are worth looking into. INTERESTING.

April 26 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cruzchix

Agree with most posters - competition stuff (except Iron Chef) has played itself out. Would love to see some Asian style food. Got any old Yan Can Cook shows laying around? Guy was truly hilarious but made some great meals!

April 26 2010 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

I agree, I love watching the Food Network but am so tired of the "food reality shows." Enough already...show me how to cook, not compete.

April 26 2010 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeanne

I use to really enjoy food network, but I have backed off watching the cooking shows, it's just a lot of the same and I can only take so much of Paula Dean, Bobby Flay, Nelly's and Rachels, 30 minute meals. I don't enjoy many of the other cooks, I miss Easy Entertainment, with Michale Chiarollo, and I do enjoy Tyler Florence. I also think the Cooking magazine is great.

April 26 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

Do any of you people that think shows with a lot of booze realize that here are people who can't go anywhere near alcohol? I realize the alcohol cooks off but the taste is still there and that can be very dangerous for a lot of people. I wish there was a cooking show that did not use any alcohol in their recipes. There are other ways to flavor food.

April 26 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Barbara's comment
k

No, Barbara, the alcohol does NOT cook off. And by the way, keep your puritan, weepy comments to yourself. If you don't wanna drink don't. If you can't stand to watch it, turn the channel and keep your moronic opinions to yourself.

April 26 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C

no one is being forced to watch it...

April 26 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply