September 19, 2014

Jason Bateman Thinks the 'Arrested Development' Movie is Still Alive. Really?

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 21st 2010 4:02PM
Jason BatemanPerhaps you folks saw the tidbit from the LA Times late last week where Jason Bateman was asked to respond to David Cross, who told me in an interview last week that the 'Arrested Development' movie is "not going to happen."

Bateman took pains to not only say the movie was still on, but to say that "bloggers" made way too big a deal of Cross' opinion.

"I think he was simply saying, 'Who knows?' " he told the LA TImes. "He wasn't saying anything definitive, but a lot of people with blogs and whatnot, in the interest of making a splash headline, stretched things a bit."

Yeah, those damn bloggers. Always quoting people directly and then reporting on it. How dare they!

Here's the flaw in Jason's argument: We already knew that this was just David Cross' opinion. Neither I nor any of the other "bloggers" who wrote about this presented it as anything but.

This is how I introduced the interview:

"Fans of 'Arrested Development' might not be too happy with David Cross after they read this interview. Why? Because he has doubts that an 'AD' movie is ever going to come to pass."

By saying "he has doubts" sets things up right away that this was his opinion and his opinion only. He never said "I heard it wasn't happening." He was just speculating that in his mind, there was too many obstacles to getting the movie done.

Could Cross have been taking this stance simply to get his stand-up special on the new-and-obscure Epix network a little publicity boost? Sure. But Cross isn't the type of guy who will just say stuff for controversy's sake. And pretty much every story I read that linked to the interview presented the story correctly: that, as far as Cross was concerned, the movie wasn't going to happen.

If you read the rest of what Bateman told the LA Times reporter, it seems like he's putting a positive spin on the same (or similar) factors that led Cross to think the movie was dead:

"Mitch Hurwitz is busy shooting a new pilot with Will Arnett, and perhaps when they're done shooting and editing and he's delivered that, perhaps he'll jump into writing the script," he said. "Once the script is done, it goes to the studio and they decide if it's a script they want to make, and the actors will decide if they want to be in it."

So, let me get this straight: IF Hurwtiz writes the script and IF the studio wants to make it and IF the actors agree to be in it, the movie will get done. Wow. I didn't know it had gotten that far.

Seriously, what Bateman is really saying is that the project hasn't gone anywhere and won't anytime soon. And, knowing how long some projects take to get made in Hollywood, by the time the script is in shootable shape, everyone involved will have likely either gotten too old or decided to move on. Huh. Isn't that what Cross said?

By the way, we put word out to Bateman's people that we wanted to speak to him in reference to the LA Times article. They turned us down flat. It's too bad; I like Bateman, and I just wanted to know why he's trying to keep a project alive that looks like it hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. I also wanted to know why we thought we were "stretching" when we printed the words of a co-star who just seems to be giving his unvarnished opinion.

Ball's in your court, Jason.

[Follow @joelkeller on Twitter.]

Huck

I chuckled when I read the first responses to this POS blog as they aligned with what I was thinking, essentially: STOP BEING SUCH A PUSSY.

FIRST: It doesn't sound like Bateman was even coming down on anyone. Just calling it as he saw it.

SECOND: The blogger espouses his own opinion yet wails like a kicked kitten when reacting to Jason's.

THIRD: So effin what? Nohing JAson said was all that a big deal.

ULTIMATELY: Just another self-important, holier-than-thou "news" writer.

July 15 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kell

I think the tone of the article is not only excessively defensive (and completely lacking in any objectivity) but the writer needs a reality check about their own importance. You're a *blogger*. The only difference between you and me is that i'm using a comments page, and you''re using a web page. Even if you had a fraction of the training and integrity of a proper journalist, you're not due the respect you seem to be asking for. But when you pitch your article as though you're actually in a position to even have a dialogue with Bateman, and pretend you're just reporting when your tone and your headlines are deliberately provocative and self-righteous, I think we all know the exact amount of respect that you're due.

April 22 2010 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kell's comment
Joel Keller

This is more of an opinion piece than anything else (as is about 90% of the content on TV Squad... even our newsy pieces have opinion), so if there's a tone, there's a tone.

I really don't care if Bateman gets back to me. In fact, you're right; he's a big star, and I'm a lowly blogger (albeit one that gets paid). He doesn't have to talk to anyone if he doesn't want to. But I don't know why, on a blog that's got editorial opinion all over the place, I can't respond to what he said, even if it sounds defensive.

April 22 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
replicasky

Arrested Development is boring

April 21 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Man, this is one overly defensive article. Seriously.

As a journalist myself, there are very few things that get me annoyed when I read the works of other people, but one thing that does is when someone gets defensive about being criticized.

April 21 2010 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

"Neither I nor any of the other "bloggers" who wrote about this presented it as anything but."

So you can personally vouch for every single person with a blog who wrote about Cross's comments?

April 21 2010 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

Arrested Development was a good show. I enjoyed watching it and was sad when it ended. That said. I don't see any reason to hang on each cast members words about whether a movie will happen. David Cross is most definitely right. Time has passed and it really doesn't look like it is going to happen. Until there is an actual script, NOTHING, is going to happen. The speculation has been going on for years and frankly, it will continue to be only that. Until Mitch Hurwitz says "The script is ready and I am going to make this movie", there will be no news, only speculation.

April 21 2010 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Regardless of crossed-wires, miscommunication etc. - I really want this movie to happen. And I know I'm not alone.

April 21 2010 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

JOEL!

We are all so sick of your holier than thou attitude!!

Cut it out dude. Just because your a blog editor doesn't make you right about everything. Most of the time the only instance you ever respond to our comments is when they are criticizing you.

You give out plenty of flak. Learn to take it buddy. Most of us learn that lesson by middle school. This is like the third entry in a week from you that has been so pompous and self serving that its difficult to read.

April 21 2010 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Brent's comment
Joel Keller

Not really sure how that many of my posts this week have been self-serving, but if that's how you're seeing it, no sense in my trying to convince you otherwise.

April 21 2010 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJ

Wow, defensive much?

April 21 2010 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I don't think there is any need to get upset. The media, being news or entertainment, isn't out to be anyones friend. Criticisms will be delivered, and it's your job to take it and keep going regardless. And it's not an actors job to make journalists happy and respond to everyone. So lets not blame Bateman, he could be referring to all sorts of bloggers, maybe not you specifically.

That said, I want the movie to move ahead so I can watch it already. The stars opinion or not, I watched and loved that show, so any continuation will be welcomed.

April 21 2010 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sam's comment
L S

The writer of this article is a dumbass.

May 31 2010 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

You don't think "David Cross: 'Arrested Development' Movie "Not Going to Happen" is not misleading? The headline was designed to get hits, as you know full well that "Arrested Development Movie Might Not Happen" would not have driven traffic as well. Mountain out of a molehill.

April 21 2010 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply