October 1, 2014

'V' - 'We Can't Win' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 21st 2010 9:02AM
(S01E08) "Your girl's got a baby lizard in her terrarium?" - Kyle to Ryan

Somewhere in the past few episodes, 'V' has gotten really good. I've always loved the show -- and haven't watched the original series yet, so can't compare -- but I found myself waiting impatiently to see what would happen in this episode. And also see how much scarier Anna could get. I swear she gets scarier every week. She's one scary lizard-chick.

What do you think will happen between Anna and Chad? He's having those weird erotic dreams about her, and I found myself wondering if she'd somehow implanted something into his head. But maybe it's just her weirdness that's making him a little crazy.

Could there have been any more ripped-from-the-headlines stories when Chad and Anna were at the World Progress Forum in Geneva? First, we had the little island nation of Timbal getting ravaged by a monsoon. Anna knew that it could take a full day for other leaders to get help to the island. "While they play politics, we'll take action," she said. "Dispatch rescue shuttles to the island. Bring them blue energy."

Then she used that leverage to get the organizers to let her give her presentation. "Blue Light," she proclaimed. "Clean, sustainable energy. No pollution, no infrastructure needed. Just power, the same power that runs our ships. Blue energy is the answer to your world's most pressing concerns, and to the people of Timbal, it was an answer to crisis." It was like she was doing some bizarre commercial or something.

Anyway, the secretary general wasn't as impressed as others at the forum. "Anna came here under the guise of diplomacy, but played politics with tragedy," he told Chad. "She used the people of Timbal to gain public and political clout. The question is, if they're just visitors, why does she need that clout?" He's got a really good point, but it's hard to cut through Anna's bull when she's saving the world and looked upon as a god.

What do you think is going on with Lisa? Do you think she's really starting to turn, that her feelings for Tyler are true? It sure seems that way to me. And the interesting thing is that he seems destined for something greater. He may have turned against his parents, but I'm still seeing this John Connor-type future in store for him. He even said himself, "Ever since I was a kid, I always knew something amazing would happen to me."

Sure, he may have thought he was talking about meeting Lisa, but here's my theory, and feel free to tell me I'm full of it:

Tyler will rise up and be a leader, and since Lisa is starting to turn, she'll be by his side and they'll be this dynamic duo. My only question is, which side will they be on? He's turned against his parents and wants to live aboard the ship, but the way things are going, it seems like they'll be on the side of the Fifth Column.

And don't forget that Joshua lied to Anna about the fact that Lisa didn't pass the empathy test. He told Anna she had, and he'll be back to ask a favor of Lisa one day. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. It's definitely shaky ground, because they can't really trust Lisa yet. But they've got the goods on her.

And Lisa's caught smack in the middle. She's got Joshua and his crew on one side, and Anna on the other, crushing eggs in her hands and telling her, "The future of our species depends on your leadership, your judgment. The soldier's egg is weak, but it can still teach us something. There is no room for human emotion, for weakness of any kind ... Joshua said you passed the empathy test. I never doubted you." Yikes, scary lizard mom.

When Ryan incinerated the doctor taking care of Val, then put his hand out to her and said, "Let's go, trust me," who else pictured Arnold Schwarzenegger putting his hand out to Linda Hamilton and saying, "Come with me if you want to live"? After that incident, you'd think that Val would trust Ryan. Let's hope so anyway.

Oy, there were a few times when I was actually screaming at the TV set. One was when Val went to the doctor, another was when Erica et al let Alex Caruso be used as bait for the terrorists (who turned out to be humans). Don't do it! It won't end well! Jack told your dad he'd keep you safe! And by the way, Joel Gretsch was a standout in this episode, when he connected with Alex's dad at the veteran's hospital (noting the First Ranger Battalion tattoo on his arm, and telling him he'd done two tours in Iraq as an Army chaplain), then prayed over Alex when he died. Really well done.

What do you think the terrorist meant when Erica asked why he'd done it, and he said, "Because we can't win"? Could the terrorists, in a weird way, actually be on the side of the Fifth Column? Are the terrorists making a statement that it's inevitable that the Visitors will win, and since that's the case, why forestall it? If that's the case, though, killing seems pretty drastic.

I'll leave you with this:

Anna: "There's tragedy every day all over your world, so many opportunities to help."
Chad: "They think you're a god."
Anna: "And what does that make you?"
Chad: "A believer ... you're not just visitors. You're here to stay. But are you here for our benefit or yours?"
Anna: "I need people I can trust, and who trust me. Do you trust me, Chad?" (Note that's the same thing she said to him in his weird dream at the beginning.)

Your thoughts on this episode?

Do you think Tyler will rise up and become a leader against the Visitors?
Yes, that's been his destiny all along. 136 (51.7%)
No way, he's already showing bad judgment by turning against his parents and connecting with Lisa. 56 (21.3%)
He'll rise up, but become a leader against the humans. 52 (19.8%)
It's complicated; I'll tell you in the comments.19 (7.2%)

Watch clips and episodes of 'V' on SlashControl.

Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.

greatone

Both FlashForward and V have gotten better since the break. I hope the ratings improve for these shows because I am getting very invested right now. Hopefully ABC will renew both of these programs soon.

April 22 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vix

The stories are getting interesting but the dialogue is so tiresome. When Father Jack was at the hospital talking to the teacher's father I knew right away something bad was going to happen to the son.

April 22 2010 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

maybe Marc Singer's character from the original V will turn out to be Tyler's father which would be a cool way to bring back a original V character to the new V

April 21 2010 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

I also have never seen the first V; and am a LOST fan...so it is nice to have something that harkens to the Island, somewhat. I like Flashforward too. Smart move on both shows to have some of Oceanic/Others on the show.

My pondering is this: who is Tylers father? Could our former Juliet also be a V? Or his father be a V? With their mighty powers, who knows what the V's have accomplished. Maybe Erica believes Tyler is her ex's son, and the V's pulled a fast one? It will be interesting to see that be answered along with all the other questions like How Could We Ever Beat the V's (or Smokey!)

April 21 2010 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Since it came back from hiatus I have really been getting into V. It's positioned perfectly behind LOST and I, like many other Losties out there, are looking for a rebound show to hook into when LOST ends.

If Lisa really is developing human emotions than eventually she could be the strongest ally of the 5th Column. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I like where all the story lines are going, but am most interested in the relationship between Ryan and Val. At first she was probably thinking that he was some kind of con-artist or criminal with all the different passports and then maybe she thought he had another family when she saw the too-big-to-be-just-six-weeks ultrasound picture. I'm counting on Val being pretty smart so I'm sure that after seeing how Ryan rescued her and who he rescued her from she'll start seeing the bigger picture of who/what Ryan is.

April 21 2010 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

MrWiseguy, the first poster, seems to think that Tyler is fence sitting and needs to choose a side...... Wouldn't it be nice if he knew there were sides to choose other than just fixating on the petty goings on regarding his paternity.

Alas, he doesn't know there are sides, other than mommy and daddy... why? Because mommy can't seem to figure out a way to get him out of the jacket with a camera in it for 5 minutes and tell him the truth. How stupid is that?

You think he'd be remotely as interested in the chick if he knew A) she was really a reptile and B) she was, accordingly, lying to him... the one thing he thinks the Vs have never done.

What a horrible mother and a hollow stupid plot point.

April 21 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
MrWiseguy

I agree with most of what you said. I want him choosing sides(which includes being aware of them) just so I don't feel he's a plot device to get his mother invested in trying to stop the Vs and get Lisa to experience human love while only using one character instead of two.

As for his mother not telling him, well, I find that pretty clever writing: it's been made clear that if she told him, the Vs would notice his sudden change of heart and suspect Erica (which would lead to the others). I find it clever because Erica knows her son is emotional, and she knows he wouldn't be able to hide the fact that he found out the truth about the Vs, thus endangering both of them.

My useless blog: http://popculture4fun.com

April 21 2010 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEREMY

Hey,Damian. Be careful what you "swallow".

April 21 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DrWho

The lameness continues. Blue energy - yay! I guess the tree-huggers will have to switch from green to blue. The lizards sure do seem love them some dirty monkey sex. Imagine a human wearing an iguana suit and making out with a Komodo dragon! That's pretty much what they want us to swallow. Ugh.

April 21 2010 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DrWho's comment
DarthPaul

10:00 to 11:00

NBC: 'Parenthood'
BET: 'Tiny & Toya'
Bravo: '9 by Design'
Discovery: 'Construction Intervention'
Food Network: 'Chopped'
FX: 'Justified'
LOGO: 'The Big Gay Sketch Show'
MTV: '16 and Pregnant' -- Another new episode starts at 11:00
National Geographic: 'Explorer'
Spike: 'Deadliest Warrior'
TLC: 'The Little Chocolatiers'
Travel: 'Food Wars'
USA: 'Law & Order: Criminal Intent'

April 21 2010 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEREMY

One of the differences between this series and the original is this one has more layers than a cake. the political,conspiratorial angles owe a lot to 'The X-Files' & '24'. The producers must be looking to this show to fill the void when 'LOST' says goodbye. If that's the case,the need to play up this angle much ,much more. Like you, I'LL BE WATCHING.

April 21 2010 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrWiseguy

Well, Tyler better choose a side soon. He's the one character on V that I don't like. Being irrational is easy to dismiss to being a teen, but then again, V is not going for that kind of realism is it?

On the other hand Lisa is starting to become more and more interesting (though I would call her turning on her mother because of love cliched).

The writers seem to like giving us a creepy moment every week (you knew that egg was going to be squished but you couldn't help but look).

My useless blog: http://popculture4fun.com