September 1, 2014

'Bones' - 'The Predator in the Pool' Recap

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 22nd 2010 9:30PM
(S05E18) "I'm glad to know you are out there." - Dr. Catherine Bryar to Booth

We too are glad that Booth is out there to save the day and especially that he is played by cutie David Boreanaz, no? However, I'm not sure 'Bones' fans were as glad to see Catherine Bryan, played by Rena Sofer, out there with Booth as it puts yet another obstacle between Booth and Brennan's potential coupling.

Surprisingly, I found myself enjoying Catherine's brief scenes on the show and hope that she'll return.

Before you throw rocks at me for liking Catherine, let me explain. Brennan explained clearly in the 100th episode that she wasn't ready to be in a romantic relationship with Booth and that he should find a woman that would be good to him. I still hope Brennan and Booth will take a leap and try to date, but since Brennan is not open to the possibility now, I want Booth to move on and be as happy as he should be.

As Brennan tells Booth at the end of the episode, Catherine may not be as smart as she (Brennan) is, but she is good looking and she and Booth seem to be compatible. Based on what we've seen of Catherine this week, I feel like Brennan is right and that Catherine may be what Booth needs right now to get over Brennan's rejection and the fact that Brennan is dating Hacker. Catherine is smart and loves to laugh. A good combination for Booth.

Speaking of Brennan dating Hacker, I'm loving that as well. Hacker may not be as good looking as Booth, but you have to admit that it's fun to see Hacker and Brennan flirt and try to date. Was I the only one surprised that Brennan thought that "having coffee" meant to have sex? After all, Hacker is not the first guy Brennan dated and I'm sure she was asked to have coffee by a few of the men she dated. In any case, Brennan thinking that it was a codeword for sex and Angela's explanations offered us some fun scenes. The scenes in which Brennan is socially awkward always make me laugh. Case in point: her thinking the Rat Pack were rodents! What a surprise it will be when Hacker introduces her to humans and not rats!

Another relationship that moved a bit forward was Angela and Hodgins. Not only did Clark break his cardinal rule to not get involved in office gossip by giving tips to Hodgins, but Angela and Hodgins shared a moment while watching the virtual aquarium. You could feel the tension between the two and the fact that it felt oh so right at that precise moment. Let's hope they rekindle their love before the end of the season.

The case of the week offered us one of the most beautiful search for remains we've seen since the series premiered. It's weird to put "beautiful" and "search for remains" next to one another, but you have to admit that the underwater footage of Brennan and Hodgins going in the tank to look for bones among the fish was really nice. If you want to see behind-the-scenes pictures, the show has posted a few photos on the official 'Bones' Facebook page.

Once again this week, the team proved that they were the best of the best: Hodgins used coral to determine the time of death, they discovered that Jazz was cured by an experimental procedure, and they found out that the "weapon" used to kill the victim was a Lionfish. They are all Kings of the Lab!

Next week, it's "Fox Rocks Week," meaning that 'Bones' will have a rock 'n' roll-themed episode.

Did you like this week's episode? Do you want Brennan and Booth to not date other people until they're ready to date one another -- or are you happy that each decided to resume dating? Share your thoughts below.

[Follow @icarreau on Twitter]

Vee

One reason I enjoyed Bones was because it was a positive show; they always solve the crime, it always ended well, B&B are solidly fond of each other. The 100th episode spoiled several of these and the cases themselves have lost some zing. It is becoming more of a soap opera and too manipulative instead of leaving a positive vibe; where good triumphs evil, Booth and Brennan will always be there for each other, everyone else can see how much they care for each other but those silly kids, they just cant get it together. The other thing is the big deal made of how FBI agents cannot fraternize with consultants or suspects yet that is never discussed by the rational Brennan, and she completely dissembled in the 100th and Booth is behaving so differently. If he can so easily "move on" how will that convince her he wont just leave her for the next pretty face that catches his eye? Very disappointing trajectory. Hacker is homely and odd and Brennan is also suddenly regressing instead of being wordly and sexually adventurous. I would love to see Angela and Hodgins actually marry, B&B marry but be a crime fighting duo, and have the series grow that way. Be different! the current dynamic is like other shows that have tortured us along the way.

April 23 2010 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandee

Wow Rena Sofer is one lucky girl between Bones and NCIS but why doesn't this woman have her own show? Forgot to DVR the eppy last night :(

April 23 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I hope in the end Bones and Booth are together but for now I think Bones needs to see Booth with someone else to get a perspective of what she could really have with him.

April 23 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

I have always watched this show because of the people. I always find the story lines ridiculous. So I am still baffled about what happened to the Russian that Booth spoke to? Did he arrest him or is he still free?

April 23 2010 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chipramsey

I thought the funniest moment of the episode was when Hacker congratulated Bones on solving the case and she blurted "Now Booth can have sex with Dr. Bryan!" Thought I was going to have the mega grabber there. . .

April 23 2010 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I loved seeing Booth date someone else. While I think Booth and Bones are actually perfect for each other if I am not mistaken Bones was a little jealous. I swear there was a little twinge in her face when the Doc showed up in the lab with Booth (the way Booth was stumbling over his words and backed into the stretcher) (kind of like a kid with a crush talking to the object of his desire) in the beginning and when Booth and Bones were talking in front of the elevator. I think it was very telling that she had to tell Booth that Catherine was not as smart as her!

Bones is desperately trying to keep her I am too rational to be in love argument alive in her head. But ever since the "talk" she is realizing that Booth could have lots of other woman, ones that don't have her hang-ups and the fact that he wants her is starting to break thru her arguments (at least in her head).

I don't think it will take very long for a bit of jealousy to be seen by someone (probably Angela). The one thing that bothers me is that Bones doesn't not believe in love. That is a load of crap. She doesn't trust. That is her issue. Everyone she has really loved (parents, brother) have left her. But she has always trusted Booth, okay maybe not always it took maybe 3 or 4 times working together. But the trust was there very early on. He has never let her down, why she can't just continue to trust him amazes me. She can't honestly believe that he would hurt her. She knows him too well. So well that she figured out (a while ago) that he thought that he thought the ex didn't marry him because she thought he wouldn't make a good father! Remember she talked with Rebbecca and helped them become friends?

As far as Angela and Hodgins I think a wedding and baby are coming soon!

April 23 2010 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miles

Brennan thought "seeing a play" was code for sex not "having coffee". She suggested coffee instead of see a play.

April 23 2010 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T

I enjoyed this episode and hope that the show will continue to develop the relationship between Booth and Catherine just to see how Bones deals with Booth dating and possibly getting serious with some one. I hope that when all is said and done that Booth and Bones do end up together and have a child.

April 23 2010 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply