July 22, 2014

'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains' - 'Going Down in Flames' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 23rd 2010 11:55AM
(S20E10) This season of 'Survivor' isn't going quite how I expected. Of course, that could be a good thing. Although I'm basically a force for good (yes, really), on my reality shows I have to admire evil strategies and schemes when they're executed well. In my own reality, I don't care for mean people. But when you consider the types of folks going on competition reality shows, the nice people can get downright boring to watch. The schemers other than Evil Russell are just getting started. Hang on, folks. We may be in for a wild ride!
The merger went down this week. So, we have Sandra running to her old buddy Rupert telling him how Russell is running the show in the villains camp. But, on the other hand, we have JT and Colby welcoming their presumed comrade-in-arms Russell thinking they have one over on the others. When we talk the others with them, we're not talking the Dharma Initiative ... we're talking the women from both camps. That includes their buddy Amanda even though she doesn't know it.

Russell being Russell, he makes up lies about Parvati using an idol to save herself and Courtney getting voted out. Only Rupert is skeptical of Russell. What I'm wondering is how Rupert just opened his eyes this episode and now has all this wise and pithy insight? Could he be worried that Russell will target him? Rupert tends to just follow and do his caveman roar a lot while not having a strategy of his own. Who is he to question anything when he hasn't an ounce of strategy in his own game? C'mon, Rupert. You've got to own it if you want to win it!

Russell wasn't even the chief villain and schemer tonight. I love it. His BFF Parvati turned her game on. While I'm not a big Parvati fan per se, I truly admire her manipulation skills with the castaways. She's had more of a target on her back than Russell has had all along. Yet, she does have her friends. Amanda won't risk her own game for Parvati, but they're uneasy allies right now. She has Russell and Danielle. Heck, if she plays him right, she can have Rupert. After tonight, Sandra will have her back. If Parvati makes it to the final three, she would get the votes over Russell or any of the others if they vote on a combination of game play and social game.

Last week JT made the fatal error in giving Russell his hidden idol. Tonight we saw that was fatal, but the fatality wasn't necessarily on Russell's hands although he put it in motion. It was Parvati. Russell, knowing she was a target, gave her the idol not knowing she already had her own hidden idol. He didn't want to lose his strongest ally. But is she truly his ally or playing the game smarter than he is?

When immunity was down to either Parvati or Danielle, Parvati dropped off her totem pole. In the scheming period prior to tribal council, the heroes were easily convinced that Parvati would save herself with a hidden idol. So they figured they'd force the idol out but throw their votes to either Jerri or Sandra (can't touch their new ally Russell) and get rid of at least on of the evil villain female alliance.

Then, not informing her buddy Russell, Parvati used both idols at tribal. She saved both Sandra and Jerri. Jerri would have been the goner with five solid hero votes. Instead, it was JT. Man, the guy deserved it. I wasn't impressed with his strategy his first season, but he worked it to win. He was all muscle and determination with no real strategy other than to work hard to win and be a good guy. This season he tried to think. He shouldn't have done that. He's surrounded by far superior strategists and even Amanda called him slimy. He played the game trying to scheme when he's just not a schemer. Now he's a juror. He did it to himself. He should have stuck to being nice and physical.

Who's the better schemer?
Russell158 (21.5%)
Parvati553 (75.2%)
Other -- you tell me in comments!24 (3.3%)

John

Best Survivor season ever! The hidden idols have breathed some fun new life and a new mechanic into the game. It's no longer the Survivor of forming an alliance and picking them off. People have to be on their toes now all the time. I would like to see more diverse ways of notifying the survivors of them and even of the existence of them. I'd want no more than 2 active at a time though.

April 25 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

WOW danielle goes before jerri
I thought she was tight with Russ and Parv
I guess they see her as more of a threat physically
BUT if Sandra is in the final with those two
than I hope she does win again I loved her from Survivor 7
when she told off JohnnyFairplay every chance she got

April 25 2010 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monnica

OK, some of you have asked me to post the Survivor's Spoiler's List link so here it is:

Remember you've been warned. This list IS accurate and if you don't want to know who is going home each week and who won
Survivor 20, DON'T bother to read it. If you don't care, then be
my guest and read it. It might piss you off though when you read the winner. I am not happy with the results and I regret reading
it.
Monnica

April 24 2010 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monnica

By the way, did any one else read that spoiler's list? Or if you are curious email me and I'll send it to you.

April 23 2010 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Monnica's comment
sid

post the link

April 24 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monnica

Did anyone see or read the Spoilers List? I happened to look, and the results so far are 100% accurate.

I'm not going to say a word but the article is still up. I wish that I didn't see it but it did say that JT would be voted off last night and once again it was right on the money since the show began.

Apparently someone that works for the show leaked ALL of the results, week by week, including the winner....(even though the last show is live), they know the results and added that information for all to read.

I for one am not happy with the winner. That's all I'll say. By reading the article it really ruined the show for me and I want to warn you that if you should run into the article, which is easy to find, DO NOT READ IT! YOU WILL REGRET IT. I DID.

April 23 2010 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Love

Final three will be Sandra, Parv and Russ. Sandra will win because everyone will vote against Parv and Russ. Regardless of Amanda did, she is next to go. Colby, Rup, Candice and Danielle will go in the next few weeks. Jerri will be the last jury member. Final four = 4 Villians.

April 23 2010 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

" Jerri would have been the goner with five solid hero votes. :

HOW SO ??? when J.T. had five solid villain votes ??
it was a tie 5-5
everyone would have voted again, except Jerri & J.T. and if it was still tied at 4 after that, than everyone would draw stones, except Danielle (immunity necklace) and the person with the odd colour stone would be the one to go. So it could have been anyone at that point.
** NOTE: they did away with the firemaking tiebreaker challenge (which was kind of lame to begin with) as last season, Survivor 19, John voted for tribe member Laura in the merged tribe in the 2nd vote to avoid going to the drawing of stones.

April 23 2010 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

last night was great tv! I really like Sandra this season- she has been scheming and plotting along with the big dawgs, Parv and the Troll. JT is an idiot and deserved to go home! He misjudged Russell and thought he was just another good ole boy and they were BFF's. Parv is shrewd but I don't like her. If she can best Russell and move ahead, go for it! Colby has been a disappointment this season- he isn't good at anything- challenges (menatl or physical).

April 23 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rose

JT got what he deserved, by his own stupidity!

April 23 2010 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
banker

I have to admit I am enjoying the strategic use of the idols this season. In the past players have just held them for intimidation and overall it has been boring to have them out there.

I agree Sandra will turn on Parvati, shed be crazy not to, and I also agree that Amanda sold the heroes up the river.

If Sandra can get the heros sans Amanda on her side though I think she can make a serious run at it. If she can get Amanda to play with her she ll be unstoppable.

If the game itself puts the idols back in play, all hell will break loose and it'll be a blast to watch....

April 23 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to banker's comment
dapete

Oh, they'll put them back into play. I'll bet there's a P.A. standing by at tribal to race back to the camp and hide it before tribal's even over. I don't like the new system of making them impossible to find without a clue tho. Last season was more fun having that variable that Russel could have one at any time.

April 23 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I've got to say, I'm tired of the hidden idols.

April 23 2010 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply