September 30, 2014

'The Vampire Diaries' - 'Miss Mystic Falls' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 23rd 2010 12:15PM
(S01E19) "I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother." - Stefan

Stefan may think he's the good brother, but despite his best efforts to stay that way, he's going dark. He can't deny his true nature, and drinking human blood just brings that boiling up inside his soul. The Vampire Diaries: Miss Mystic FallsYou knew when he drove that red sports car out of the garage, he was different. That should have been Elena's first clue that all was not well with her vamp lover. Not well at all.

Not only is Stefan driving the red sports car (with a trunk full of spent hospital blood bank bags), but he's terrorizing young girls (poor Amber doesn't know what bit her -- literally), shirking his Founder's Day duties with Elena, and going down a road of no return. Well, maybe. We'll see if locking him up in the basement has an impact.

Paul Wesley plays a great rabid vampire, doesn't he? You could just see that internal struggle, especially when he dragged Amber off from the Founder's Day party. He was dying to bite her, but tried his best to make her leave. "I need you to be afraid of me," he said. "I need you to run like hell. Do you understand me? Run, run!"

And she did run, only to turn around and find him right next to her again. And same when Elena came to his house that night. Stefan was just anguished over the fact that he couldn't control his hunger.

I have to say, though, I got goosebumps when Damon stepped in and partnered up with Elena for the dance. Those two have some serious sparks, and It was so poignant when he sat down next to Elena in the hallway after they'd penned up Stefan inside the room. Elena couldn't believe it either. Damon is being downright sweet. I've always loved Elena and Stefan together, but now I'm sort of rooting for her to get together with Damon.

Not only that, but Bonnie's return is creating a whole new dynamic for Elena and Stefan. Bonnie blames Stefan for Sheila's death, and feels like she died for nothing. Of course she'd be angry about that, and of course Elena would be caught in the middle of Bonnie and Stefan. Bonnie's a loose cannon who could prove to be dangerous, especially with that little "spell" she put on Stefan during the Amber incident.

I still think that Anna and Pearl seem sincere. I love Anna and Jeremy together, and he's certainly poured his heart out to her in the brief time they've known each other. And the fact that Anna told Damon that she and her mom were sorry the other vampires tortured Stefan, and that Pearl turned Johnathan's device over to Damon -- all of that means something.

A Few Quotes:

"You spent the last century and a half being the poster child for Prozac, and now you expect me to believe this new and improved you has nothing to do with human blood." - Damon to Stefan

"Well, well ... he's a liar and a thief." - Damon to Stefan, after catching him with the stolen blood

"He has a fridge full of stolen blood bank contraband in the house. He has no idea what normal is. His entire existence isn't normal ... he'll do anything, he'll say anything because he's not going to want to stop." - Damon to Elena

"I was gonna tell you ... I'm fine. The blood, it doesn't change anything." - Stefan
"It's changing you." - Elena

"Her mother's name is Pearl? I believe I already know all about her. - John to Jenna, talking about Anna

"That wasn't you." - Elena
"It was absolutely me. A monster, a predator, that's what I am, Elena." - Stefan

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this episode of 'The Vampire Diaries.'

Would you rather see Elena with Stefan or Damon?
Stefan. Even as a bad vampire, he and Elena belong together. 100 (29.0%)
Damon. His chemistry with Elena is smokin' hot. 207 (60.0%)
It's complicated. I'll tell you in the comments.38 (11.0%)

Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.

Will

I see Bonnie becoming more powerful as a witch. She will start to use her powers against Damon and Stefan

April 24 2010 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sylvia

Gerorgia Peach I agree with you word by word.

I have already saw Damon and Elena chemistry time ago. They are the reason why I am watching the show.In my honest opinion they have the best chemistry.

April 24 2010 at 4:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

It is complicated. But as much as a person roots for Stefan and Elena you can't help but notice the chemistry Damon and Elena have. Although Elena may only share Katherine's looks, they both have the Salvatore brothers wrapped around their fingers.

Granted Damon kind of pushed himself into that scenario a few episodes back when he sort of kidnapped her after she hit that vampire. Before then Elena really wouldn't listen to a word he said or did. She wanted nothing to do with him but he just kept popping up because he is competitive.

I believe Pearl feels defeated and that's why she gave Damon the "watch" because they made need his protection now that the rest have turned on her.

I'm glad Bonnie's back although the coldness, which is understandable, is really throwing me off. Especially because she lied to cover for the brothers and used her magic.

And a fun fact for those that haven't read the books: Elena was the crowned one at the founders day thing ;) but we'll deal with Caroline getting it...

April 23 2010 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

It's complicated. I'll tell you in the comments.

NEITHER, they are vampires - the living dead and she is human. Why fall in love with such a creature, when you will eventually pass on being a human and all and they both will live on for eternity, unless they are staked or unless she decides she wants to be turned into one.

she should go back to Matt.

April 23 2010 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I loved your review and almost agreed with everything you said except one point: about Bonnie. I think she is the exact opposite of a loose canon which makes her more interesting. I think it was very selfless her decision not to make Elena choose between her or the Salvatore bros., even though she could totally use her best friend to help her through the grieving process. And in terms of her "mind deafening" trick, she was the exact opposite of a loose canon. She was shockingly composed, even calculating in a way. And that's ... a bit more interesting and a less telegraphed way of her processing her anger towards them. Stefan WAS out of control and he MIGHT have killed Amber. So if Bonnie not only saved Amber, she saved Stefan as well (and even lied to the police for them). Again, something I thought was mighty big of her considering that she rightly holds them responsible for her Grandmother's death. Just my two cents though, it was a great episode. And Damon and Elena sizzled.

April 23 2010 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerorgia Peach

Damon's character is so complex. Evil, but good. Rough, but gentle. Distant, but close. During the dance, which was FANTASTIC, he was in command of the situation and was strong & reassuring to Elena. He cares deeply for Elena and was a gentleman for stepping in for his brother. However, Damon loves his brother so I am not sure how the Elena, Damon, Stephan triangle will play out. Everyone thinks Damon is the bad boy, but Stephan has a very dark side too. I am glad the writers are bringing this side out. Paul Wesley did an excellent job in last night's episode. I felt sorry for Stephan. He is going to need Damon and Elena's help to get control. Elena will have to realize what a "vampire" really is. She has not accepted that yet even though Damon has tried to tell her. On that note I must confess, I am totally Team Damon/Elena.

April 23 2010 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply