October 22, 2014

Tuc Watkins Returns to 'One Life to Live'

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 24th 2010 4:00PM
tuc_watkins_one_life_to_live_abcOn April 4, we reported that 'One Life to Live' was making a change in the writing department by bringing in Jean Passanante as associate head writer to numero uno scribe Ron Carlivati. That was one step in trying to right the foundering ship that was 'One Life to Live,' and here's another: Actor Tuc Watkins is returning to 'One Life to Live' as David Vickers. Hooray!

This is a great move, especially because unlike Watkins' previous reappearances in the last year or so, this will be a long-term visit. He is going on contract and will be there for at least a few months. That means they can write a good story for David, and that's what they need to do!

Recently, Watkins has recurred on 'Desperate Housewives' as Bobby Hunter. The ABC primetime show won't return to production until July, and since Watkins is doing an off-Broadway show with Betty Buckley for eight weeks, it made sense for him to check back in to Llanview. And unlike some stars who won't even think about returning to their soap roots, Tuc Watkins clearly doesn't think that way.

In fact, Watkins probably appreciates the fact that David Vickers is one of the more entertaining characters in daytime. That's right -- all of daytime, not just 'One Life to Live.' As an actor, Watkins should have a blast playing the delightfully shady con artist with a heart of gold.

David is a schemer and a snake, but more lovable and attractive than any character has the right to be. And when he's in cahoots with Dorian Lord, he's especially fun to watch. That's because Robin Strasser and Tuc Watkins work so well together. She's a powerhouse and needs an actor who can stand up to her.

Hopefully, we'll be seeing Dorian and David teaming up again. When last seen in Llanview, David was trying to create a reality TV show -- in which he was the star, naturally -- but getting nowhere. Before that, David dabbled in Zen Buddhism, trying to find his spiritual soul. And he's also the long-lost Buchanan that Clint and Bo would prefer to remain lost. Of course, Viki Davidson might be happy to see David because she's always had a soft spot for him, despite his tendency to be a troublemaker. If I were on the writing staff, I'd be pushing for Kelly Cramer to get involved with David, just to get Gina Tognoni and Watkins working together.

The first air date for Watkins is still to be determined, but late May is a safe guess. In case you haven't picked up on it yet, this is a very good move by 'One Life to Live.'

Are you glad to see Tuc Watkins return to 'OLTL'?

Kelso Horror

David's comming back great.
Wouldn't it be funny if Rex found out that David is his father instead of Mitch Laurence, or Carlo Hesser.
Now all we need is for someone to whack Jessica over the head (Not too hard) with a baseball bat so she get her memory back, ending this High School Bullshit.

April 26 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

I don;t watch soap opera;s usually did for years but stopped,this young man reminds me of a young Robert Ryan.Not exact but real close.

April 26 2010 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

I do not like what you have done with the character Jessica. The high school act is bad. Bring her back as she was.

April 26 2010 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

Tuc Watkins is the only real reason to watch OLTL anymore. I am glad that Gina Tognoni is back. My favorite OLTL ever is Gina doing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" years ago. Tuc and Gina together would be great! I'm also glad they are doing something about the writing. I've watched OLTL since it first aired. I have stopped watching it regularly over the past six months. It is absolutely terrible. The worst storyline: Jessica back in high school. How stupid.

April 26 2010 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheri Harry

Yes!!! I love him coming back but I think it sucks that his character kicked Clint's girlfriend/ wife out of town. Noone should lose the first good break you ever had.

April 26 2010 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob A

Bring back the Oliver Fish and Kyle Storyline. That was the only fascinating storyline this tired old show had.

April 26 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Ummmmm.......I thought that David was Asa's illegitimate son. Might be wrong, but that all took place upon Asa's death and there was discussion over the televised will that Asa left. Haven't watched much of OLTL because I couldn't stomach the recent plots.

April 26 2010 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosie

welcome back David Vickers,I have missed your spicey
script.you keep OLTL up beat and not boring, I'm so
glad Tuc Watkins (David Vickers) is returning back on
OLTL.

April 26 2010 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Any actor, including the delightful Watkins, is only as good as the script. Come on OLTL, we know you can do it, you have in the past.

April 26 2010 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

Correction made -- David is not a Buchanan brother, but he is a Buchanan nonetheless, and Clint and Bo will not be thrilled to have him around. I stand by that.

April 26 2010 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply