October 25, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'I Feel Like I'm In, Like, Sicily' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 25th 2010 11:35PM
(S16E10) With four teams remaining on 'The Amazing Race,' this season's almost a wrap. While the remaining teams aren't quite the teams I expected vying for the win, there's one aspect of the four teams which almost puts me in shock. There's only one woman left. That's a bit surprising in and of itself.

If memory serves, I don't think we've lost all of the women except one with eight contestants left in previous seasons. What's so shocking is that the single woman standing is Caite. Yipes! While she and Brent have their strong moments, they have more than their share of "Annoying Jackie" moments. Yeah, it's all about me.

Once again, good cab drivers ruled the day for teams lucky enough to have them. I don't know why they don't just pay up and grab another cab when it's obvious the cabbie is clueless. They went from Singapore to Shanghai (not by taxi, of course) tonight. While in Singapore, many of the locals seemed to know English. Not so in China, and there may even be a written English city name versus Chinese characters confusion as well.

Both the cowboys (Jet and Cord) and the models (Brent and Caite) got decent cabs. Louie and Michael and the young brothers (Jordan and Dan) didn't have such great luck. But hey ... their cabbies were equally lost and following each other. So at least their timing remained in check with each other bringing up the rear of the pack!

This episode was a bit odd in that the leg contained two roadblocks and no detour. I think it was only fair that that the person sitting out the first roadblock couldn't do the second one even though they didn't know it was coming. After all, with the exception of chasing puzzle pieces in the wind, neither task was physical or scary.

The cowboys sailed through it all. I like these two because, not only are they very adaptable with the tasks, both maintain their cool. Even during their few really rough spots this season, they neither bickered nor whined. Although, when discussing the Carol and Brandy U-turn, the younger brothers didn't say anything in front of the others, one did mention to us that Brent and Caite made the choice based on personal whim. He's right that they should have U-turned the strongest team, the cowboy brothers. I'm glad they didn't as they're a breath of fresh air to watch this season.

Louie and Michael aren't as outright whiny as the other two teams. But they're full of a lot of bluster with little accomplishment to back it up as of late. They're in the worst shape of any of the remaining teams and I think the speed bump they'll encounter in the next leg is going to do them in. Michael was way too anal about the puzzle tonight -- it's a wonder he finished it before dawn! They lucked out with non-Philimination.

Just when I was beginning to like Dan and Jordan more, they got fussy and whiny tonight. At least Jordan did. Dan not only comforted him in the making pasta roadblock (aw, so touching), but he did a bang-up job with the puzzle for coming in so late. I realize he's on the race for Jordan. But he's definitely the stronger competitor of the two.

I'm still not liking Brent and Caite much. Although they can run strong at times, when they're weak they're so annoying. Between whining, pouting, stamping their feet and fussing, they irk me. Oh, when they do well, they're on the top of the world. When they don't, they act like spoiled children who feel they're treated unfairly. With Jordan of Jeff and Jordan gone, the only thing we can really depend on Caite and Brent for is denseness. Duh, Brent. I believe we all learned about Venice in grammar school. We might have learned about Sicily on 'The Sopranos.'

In the end, the rightful leaders led the pack. Jet and Cord landed first place and racked up another vacation trip, this one to Alaska. Brent and Caite came in second, Dan and Jordan third. Louie and Michael came in last, saved by the non-elimination and will probably be bye-bye in the next leg. I wanted to like Louie and Michael more, but I just can't. I'm all for the cowboys, yippie-kai-yay! How about you?

Will Louie and Michael recover from the speed bump next week?
Yes, Brent and Caite will do something stupid.173 (35.5%)
Yes, Jordan and Dan will super fail.90 (18.5%)
No way!221 (45.4%)
Sure, they'll beat the cowboys for first place!3 (0.6%)

Michael Pascua

Just because I'm OCD, I had to point out that the final woman in a final four has happened at least once, in season four with Jon & Kelly. You'll probably remember the two because they were in the Ped-Egg commercial. Going around the world can make your feet rough, I guess.

Granted, Kelly was part of the pre-split roadblocks and did only two, but I know that she was a lot smarter than Catie.

April 28 2010 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shoegal

Ugh, this season sucks. Anyone see TV without Pity's gallery of why they hate it? Too accurate.

April 26 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

This might be a silly question, but since I am not a world traveler, I have always wondered. When you enter a foreign country, don't you have to check in with customs or some "government official" before leaving the airport? Are you really able to just leave the plane and run to a taxi?

April 26 2010 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Max's comment
sid gilmore

Going through customs is something we don't see. In fact there are times that a team gets behind the others by being delayed in customs.

April 26 2010 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

As soon as Jet and Cord arrived you should've known this wasn't a Philimination leg, if you've ever seen this show before.

Here's a tidbit... I would bet $500 right now to anyone on this site that next week we'll hear Phil tell each team that arrives and isn't eliminated that they'll be one of the teams racing to the finish line of TAR... He does it every season... not to mention that with 4 teams left it's ALWAYS non-Philimination... It was hardly a surprise...

April 26 2010 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I have loved watching Jet/Cord run this race from the very beginning. They're both so laid back and competitive at the same time. They seem to have NO BEEF with one another or with any of the other teams. They keep each other in check and both are highly resourceful/adaptable. They DESERVE to win and I hope they do.

I like Dan/Jordan and hope they are at least in the top three teams. It's lovely seeing Dan be so supportive of his more high-strung brother. And I think it was just be wonderful for Jordan to make it all the way to the end without being Philiminated. And yes, Jordan may be whiny, but I think that's why I commend him for bringing his brother along. Dan provides a great balance and when they work together, they're pretty good.

I wish I had been paying more attention to the number of episodes left so I could've predicted the non-elimination, but man I so wished Louie/Michael were eliminated. They're pretty much all talk IMO. They might've won ONE leg of the race fair and square. The other times were debatable. As for Caite/Brent, the less said about them, the better.

April 26 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I hope that when Brent and Caite finish second to the Cowboys they realize they made a million dollar mistake by getting rid of the lesbians.

April 26 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to davidm3825's comment
John

Or third...or fourth...if they win I'll be sad, they're just not smart enough to deserve to win and that's a big part of this show. (Though there have been dumb teams who've won - Flo in season 3 comes to mind...)

April 26 2010 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marali

Wasn't the Fashion stop the Detour for this leg of the race?

April 26 2010 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to marali's comment
John

No Phil made a point to say it was the first time in AR history there were two roadblocks in one leg, and the second had to be done by the one who didn't do the first.

I find these late, non-elimination legs so boring. It took them a few years to realize that people could figure out why no team would read "The last team to check in will be eliminated" but now you can figure it out from the promo or just from previous history. The penalty for coming in last in these legs needs to be bigger for them to hold much weight, or get rid of the non-elimination legs all together. I guess they keep costs down or make more money for the show or something but...they're irritating. Get three more teams and no non-eliminations.

April 26 2010 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

No, because they weren't given a choice of tasks.

April 26 2010 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

I hope the producers were listening when the cops suggested future roadblocks. I will await patiently the chasing of crackheads and kicking down of doors in future series.

April 26 2010 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

They've already surprised me... with how inept they are.

And was it just me, or did Brent need a slug to the face when they checked in and were told they were team 2? He was obviously still pissed about the puzzle and not being able to catch up... like it was unfair and a conspiracy of some sort. What a total douche.

April 26 2010 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Melissa

I agree he was acting like a jerk. It was not like other teams did not have their pieces blow all over also, especially the cowboys. They just dealt with the problem and kept going.

April 26 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

it's too bad louie and mike start off behind next week...they are my 2nd favorite behind jet and chord

i remember in the chile leg that they said they wanted to surprise everyone...and i hope they do!

April 26 2010 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply