September 17, 2014

Ask TV Squad: What's Up With The 'Lost' Rerun?

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 26th 2010 3:05PM
T'Lost' logoV watchers are a curious group, something that we at TV Squad see every day. We get questions that are as current as "When is 'Mad Men' coming back?" to ones that are more wistful, such as "When is 'Shark' coming back? Boy, I loved that James Woods!"

But, our readers aren't the only ones who are curious tube fans. We ask each other questions, ones that sometimes get answered right away and ones that need a little research.

So, in this new incarnation of "Ask TV Squad," we're not only going to answer reader questions, but we're also going to try to answer some of the burning questions that have been confounding us here at TV Squad HQ.

If you have a question that you'd like answered, feel free to e-mail us at asktvsquad [at] gmail [dot] com.

For now, we'll start with a question that's gotten everyone curious:

Why is tomorrow's episode of 'Lost' a rerun? I thought ABC was going to air 'Lost' straight through without repeats. It's a bummer to have a repeat while it's been building momentum towards its big finale.

This one was such a head-scratcher that I decided to call ABC and find out. The show's publicist, Jeffrey Fordis, wouldn't go so far as giving me an official statement, but he did indicate that the rerun that we're seeing this week was planned all along.

How could that be? Well, according to Fordis, the network and the producers of 'Lost' agreed that the last season of the show would consist of eighteen hours. That's eighteen hours, not eighteen episodes. Since four of those hours were eaten up by the season premiere and the series finale, the total number of episodes was really sixteen.

Stay with me now... this is where things get cloudy. So, for some reason, ABC decided to schedule the sixteen episodes over seventeen weeks. Fordis didn't say why they decided to do that, but this week off had been planned all along. When I asked him who decided to pick this particular week to throw up the rerun, he told me that the programming department makes those decisions.

I thank Fordis for getting back to me, but of course that's typical PR spin. I'm guessing that the network didn't want to sacrifice a week during the February sweeps period to air an episode at the end of April. And, going into the huge May sweeps period, sacrificing this week was the best move; there's enough momentum built up to give people a chance to breathe.

But that doesn't mean that the fans don't feel a little cheated right now. They're used to the rhythm of 'Lost' airing a new episode every week from February through May. Keeping them hanging -- and doing so unannounced -- at such a critical time seems a little bit of a tease, don't you think?

Should ABC have just delayed the premiere until February 9 and aired the episodes straight through? Or are you OK with this rerun?

Erik

This week's rerun was not in the original plan. I reviewed the schedule at the start of the season, and they were planning to take a week break before the series finale. They changed that by slipping in this rerun and shifting all other episodes back a week, except the last episode of course, leading to no weeks without a Lost episode.

I was pretty pissed off about it, as I was expecting a new one. But the episode they aired is one of the all-time best. The actor playing Richard Alpert deserves an Emmy for that performance.

April 29 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I was FURIOUS, if ABC hadn't lied saying there would be no re-runs or breaks I would have expected it, the LEAST they could have done is said at the end of last weeks episode, sorry guys, next week is a rerun, but THIS was total bullshit and I am FED UP with it. I won't be tuning in to any other serial shows that string me along like Lost has only to jerk me around and piss me off. I'm stuck watching Lost through to the end but TV as a whole has become more irritating then entertaining, I'm getting ready to cancel the cable altogether.

April 29 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ngerb49

very disappointed in the rerun!!!!

April 27 2010 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Veteran from Pennsylvania

IT seems to me that as the decades rolled by, the number of "new episodes" per season for shows in general has gone down, and the number of commercials has gone up. I think lost's rating would have been higher if they had a shorter off season, especially considering the complexities of the plot. About the time we are really getting back into the show, they pull this re-run thing.
Also, I think "Freckles" really cleans up great for her shampoo commercials. The Blond seems to be doing pretty good on V too.

April 27 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
troy

this is so damn lame i hate abc what dushe bags i was excited to see a new episode since the last ones have been a little lame so i was hoping that this week would be different but theirs a fucking rerun of one of the lamest episodes that doesnt answer anything about richard just brings up more and more unanswered questions

April 27 2010 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to troy's comment
WRECKTV

I agree that is sux to have a rerun. However, Richards flash back episode may not feel like the most epic or engaging episode, but it does answer a lot of questions, like:
- Where did the Blackrock come from?
- Why is a boat in the middle of the island?
- How did Richard get on the island?
- Why doesnt Richard age?
- What happened to the giant statue, why is there only a foot left?
We also learn more about Jacobs adversary, the mysterious "man in black"

April 29 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jarrett

This is complete BS and the final straw for me. I am done with ABC. Listen up advertisers, I will no longer be watching ABC, my eyes will be locked on Fox, CBS, and TBS. So if you want to sell me something, go with them. ABC is scrambling for new, exciting material and hasn't been successful as of late. Lost 'was' great, but the way it has always been aired has been irresponsible. Adios ABC.

April 27 2010 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jarrett's comment
D

That'll show em!

April 28 2010 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zdub

They obviously WANT the finale to be on 5/23. thats 5 TWENTY-THREE! :)

April 27 2010 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zdub's comment
Alex

thats a sunday and wat do u mean 5 twenty-three?

April 27 2010 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

They're afraid of wasting a new show up against tonight's very special episode of "Biggest Loser".

April 27 2010 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I believe if there was a new episode this week, then the difference between the second to last episode and the finale would have been 12 days (since the finale was always planned to air on May 23rd), but, since they decided to put in the break now instead of later, there is only a five day gap between the penultimate episode and the final episode. So, i think it's a good thing.

April 27 2010 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

It's easy - ABC LIES to us. They have lied to us for 3 seasons in a row. They have said they are not showing LOST until February because they want to show a new episode every week until the season is over. They lied the first season - everyone in the world knew there would be a writers strike so why not start the show in September when shows are SUPPOSED to start, do the Strike, come back and move on. Then last year they said it's Feb again and no repeats or weeks off, that didn't happen and the same thing this year and tomorrow proves they have lied to us AGAIN.

Never trust a network they lie continually!

April 26 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply