December 22, 2014

Six Sitcoms Even a Sitcom Lover Would Hate

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 26th 2010 4:33PM
Small WonderI have a high tolerance level for sitcoms. Unless a sitcom is painfully bad, I can actually get some enjoyment out of it. So yes, that means that if I were to make a list of the worst sitcoms of all-time, even shows like 'According To Jim,' 'Yes, Dear,' and 'Joey' wouldn't make the list. They just wouldn't. They're not among the best sitcoms ever made, but they also aren't the awful, painful, boy-was-that-a-bad-idea sitcoms we could all name.

Like these six shows. They're not just unfunny, they're not pleasant or interesting or "cute" or any other word we try to use when trying to find something good about a sitcom either. They're just...bad. Not even someone who loves sitcoms could like these shows.

1. 'Small Wonder.' Is this the worst sitcom ever made, bad enough to make it to number one on this list? I don't know; there have been so many bad sitcoms over the years. But when I thought of this list it's the first show I thought of, so that has to count for something.

It was about a inventor who creates a little girl robot, whose existence leads to predictable hijinks with family and friends. Imagine if 'Bewitched' and 'I Dream of Jeannie' didn't have any laughs in their entire runs. The only way this show could have been saved is if Vicki (which stood for "Voice Input Child Identicant") went crazy and decided to disobey Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics in a cruel, special effects-laden episode. In the picture above it looks like she's about to go all Terminator, but alas, that was just her expression.

Mr. T and Tina2. 'Mr. T and Tina.' No, this had nothing to do with Mr. T from 'The A-Team.' This one starred Pat Morita from 'Happy Days,' Susan Blanchard, and Ted Lange, who would shortly go on to better things with 'The Love Boat.' Morita also played an inventor, so maybe it's the occupation. Just awful.

3. 'Homeboys in Outer Space.' Why is this on the list?

All you have to do is look at the title and then look at this video.

The Ropers4. 'The Ropers.' This was a classic example of taking two beloved characters from a successful sitcom and giving them their own show.

But it's also the classic example of why you shouldn't do that. Supporting characters are supporting characters for a reason, and if they're brought to the front, well, you see how unpleasant they are.

Emeril5. 'Emeril.' Sadly, this was the last TV series that Robert Urich did before he passed away. But he was fine. What was bad about 'Emeril'? EVERYTHING ELSE. I think it all started when someone at NBC decided, "hey, Emeril Lagasse's audience loves it when he throws garlic into a large pot, why don't we build a sitcom around him?"

It lasted for ten episodes, which was nine episodes too many.

6. 'Veronica's Closet.' Not only was this show remarkably unfunny, I remember thinking to myself, "this show is taking up space that another sitcom could fill."

Sure, you could say that about 75% of NBC's Thursday night sitcom failures, but this one was particularly lame and stale. 'Jesse' and 'Suddenly Susan' were 'Arrested Development' compared to this.

I know, I know, there are many, many I didn't put on this list. I can think of several myself ('AfterMASH,' 'Joanie Loves Chachi,' 'Shasta McNasty,' 'Cavemen'), but with a list like this you have to go with the badness that comes first to your mind, and the six shows above are the ones that came to mine.

What sitcoms do you think are the worst of all-time?

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

Sami

WHAT!?! Small Wonder #1. No Way! Small Wonder was awesome.
Remeber how she could read a book in like 3 seconds by just flipping the pages.
Remeber the weird red-haired neighbor girl who was in love with brother.
Remeber the episode when the grandpa won't accept Vicky cuz she was a robot, but then she shed a single tear, and the grandpa realized she was human-like after all and finally called her his granddaughter.
SITCOM GOLD!! hahaha

May 01 2010 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark vaccaro

Two and a half Men is way funny, especially when the kid was younger. Yes Dear and According to Jim are funny too. The one so called sitcom that no one has mentioned and is just plain stupid and not funny after trying to watch it several times is The Office.

April 28 2010 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grandiousharvas

Two short lived star-vehicles that were just not funny
"Ink" and "The Closer" with Tom Selleck

April 28 2010 at 4:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hessian

Did anyone mention WOOPS!

April 28 2010 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Salem

Small Wonder and Shasta are two of my fave "best worst sitcoms ever"... Veronica's Closet and Cavemen were not bad at all!

I hate you, Bob... Now you are on my black list... No soup for you!

No, for real...

PD: Better you didn't say a word about Sabrina The Teenage Witch...

April 27 2010 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

Nick--get a life guy -you obviously watch -way wat to much tv--and just to let you know --
two and a half men is about as funny as tv gets

April 27 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debi

I liked My Mother the Car. It was like Mr. Ed with a motor.

I hated The Lucy Show, The Mother-in-Laws (with Kay Ballard and Eve Arden), Maude, Perfect Strangers, Mork & Mindy, and Busom Buddies.

April 27 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xena

Mr. Merlin (1981) In modern day San Francisco, Merlin the Magician and a San Francisco teen apprentice who misuses his magic in non-laugh-producing ways
A.L.F. (1986) Puppet Alien lives with Earthling family and hilarity supposedly ensues. Surprisingly, this show had a five-year run but the best thing to come of it was the Burger King A.L.F. puppet promo with the different outfits that I actually collected.
Land of the Lost (1974) Don't know if this one counts as a sit-com, but this cringe-worthy show actually became hilarious only recently when episodes became available on the internet so you could laugh at the horribly cheesy special-effects.
Silver Spoons (1982) Ricky Schroder (that's RICK these days) getting to know his rich father who didn't know he had a teenage son. Ugh, totally unwatchable.
Mork and Mindy (1978) Nanu-na-not!
Laverne & Shirley (1976) Loved this show but it tanked after they moved to California
My Sister Sam (1986) Didn't really laugh much with this show, but at least the horrible murder of the actress who played Patti, Rebecca Schaeffer, prompted the classification of stalking as a felony in California.

April 27 2010 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Cook is my Idol!

I agree with so many of those sitcoms. Other shows I'd add to the list are Till Death, Quintuplets, Cursed, Home Improvement, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and Three's Company.

I'm also going to come right out and say that I absolutely hated Everybody Loves Raymond! I will never understand how that show got so much recognition and praise. I thought it was obnoxious and unfunny. It's certainly not the worst sitcom ever, but it is one of the most over-rated, IMHO.

April 27 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply