April 18, 2014

'24' - '10:00AM - 11:00AM' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 27th 2010 8:31AM
24, Cherry Jones(S08E19) "I just want the people who are responsible for this to be held accountable. All I need to do is expose them." - Jack to Chloe

Jane here, filling in for Mike. I was actually reviewing '24' at the beginning of the season, but found the storyline so preposterous that Mike graciously agreed to take it off my hands.

Somewhere between then and now, the show has gotten much better -- more interesting and less ridiculous. In fact, last week, my nephew emailed me and said the show's gotten better lately, especially with the return of Charles Logan. I wholeheartedly agree. Not that Logan's any less of a weasel, but that's what I love about him.

But poor Jack. Some things never change, and once again, everyone either wants him dead or in custody. I couldn't figure out which way Chloe was going with it at first. She seemed on board with Jack's plan, but then set up the trap for him -- or so she thought.

When Ortiz asked Jack how he knew, Jack replied that he knows how Chloe thinks. If you get really twisty-turny with it, you could say that Chloe should have known that Jack would know she'd create a trap for him, since those two have been working together so long they practically share the same brain.

And then you wonder if Ortiz might try and feed her a clue over the phone, but apparently, she and Ortiz don't know each other well enough for that. They've only known each other less than a day. But that's what happens when you've been watching '24' for eight seasons -- you can't help but speculate on what everyone's thinking.

At any rate, Chloe's caught smack in the middle. Being the acting head of CTU, she's obligated to play it by the book, but you know in her heart she knows that Jack is right. Doesn't matter, though. A direct order from the President is a direct order from the President.

Interesting dynamic between President Taylor, Ethan Kanin and Charles Logan. I believe the President thinks she's doing the right thing. Then again, as Ethan noted, covering up evidence -- even for the sake of the peace treaty -- is grounds for impeachment and criminal indictment. The President is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Her Presidency has cost her her marriage and her children. The peace treaty would be something good to come out of the Presidency.

But I'm not sure I trust the President's judgment, bringing in Charles "the weasel" Logan as a consultant. It didn't take long for her to turn against Ethan and go with Logan's plan to keep Dana off the grid and hire a private security firm to extract the info out of torture her. The President is so vehemently against physical coercion, it just seems like she's desperate at this point.

A few quotes from that dysfunctional triangle:

Logan: "No one wants this to get ugly."
President Taylor: "It's already ugly, Charles."

"I'm not abandoning you. I'm listening to my conscience. Anyway, you've got Charles Logan to help now. Only room for one of us." - Ethan to President Taylor

"I heard about your resignation. I'm glad to see you putting your health first. We all just want you go to get well - Logan to Ethan

Anyway, it's all a moot point, because Jack is working the streets, and he won't rest until those responsible for the cover-up are brought to justice. Ortiz is onboard with that (although as Jack noted, he's not exactly clean in all this either).

Loved seeing D.B. Sweeney as Mark Bledsoe and Michael Madsen as Jim Ricker (or is it Rick Vickers? That's probably a mistake; Fox tends to goof up their press materials on occasion).

Also wanted to mention that while Kiefer Sutherland is in great shape, he's no spring chicken. I thought he might throw his back out hefting that guy over his shoulder.

I await your comments on this episode.

Watch clips and episodes of '24' on SlashControl.

[Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.]

bonbon99

You let him talk to you, Madame President. You let him talk and he convinced you to not do the right thing. Don't go and tell the devil right off that you're abandoning his evil plan.

Congrats, you've joined the dark side of the force. Er, politics.

I'm sorry, she's dug herself in too deep a hole now. At the beginning of the episode she was at 10 feet and climbing out. Now, she's a good 50 feet in and she can't very well get out.

*Sigh* What happened to the good old days when the president always did the right thing, namely David Palmer.

I like Cole. I hope he sticks around.

Some people (ben) have complained that Chloe's actions don't make sense. Quite the contrary. Chloe is director now and she HAS to follow the president's orders. She almost helped Jack and I liked her inner struggle, but an order is an order. And FYI, she actually thinks Jack might be right.

I'm not in the habit of giving up on a show. I will stay with 24 to the last second.

April 27 2010 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

anyone getting the drift here?

biggest complaints from viewers are on episodes where Brannon Braga is involved...

April 27 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
getchaos

You know what? I LOVED the Solid Snake move Jack did with knocking on metal to get the agents attention....i laughed out so loud, when this happened...

Anyway....Logan is terrific. His weaseling moves are terrific. It just gives you the chills to watch him do his thing. Just a great evil character. But i have the distinct feeling, this will be his very last day in the world of 24.

Again....the Solid Snake move of Jack...ingenious!!!

April 27 2010 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

It is just ridiculous....yawn and double yawn...

April 27 2010 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I almost forgot how much of a weasel Logan is/was and why I wanted the ability to enter my TV and kick the holy crap out of him. This is somehow a compliment to the actor's performance.

Also where the hell is Aaron Pierce?

April 27 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

The scenes with Cherry Jones and Gregory Itzin are terrific. Thanks to them, the strife between Taylor and Logan feels more like that of ex-spouses than of two politicos.

April 27 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikey-O

Hasn't ANYONE at CTU been in that room with the parole officer's stinky corpse yet? It's a little distracting.

April 27 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mikey-O's comment
mkgowings

It hasn't been a day yet. He ain't stinkin'.

April 27 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rocklord

1. When did the Air Force get Apache's?
2. Were the Apache's a new stealth type since no one on the ground noticed them flying low?
3. NYPD can find Jack in a crowd? They know what he looks like?
4. All of a sudden the head of CTU goes exactly by the book despite have a long relationship with Jack even though Hastings never met Jack and he broke protocol. Bill Buchannan is rolling in his grave.

Oh wait. It's 24's last season. Nevermind.

April 27 2010 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

Chloe knows how Jack thinks. I doubt she was setting a trap. She was just making it look she was.

April 27 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Georgia's comment
Gordy

I like that line of thought. Chloe knew Jack couldn't do it alone, so, she put Ortiz in place to help him.

April 27 2010 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

I'm betting Dalia Hassan has been behind all this somehow. She wanted to get back at her husband for cheating on her.

How she snaked her way through it? Maybe she got a hold of Logan who got a hold of the Russians........

April 27 2010 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mack Swift's comment
jffm

It's occurred to me that Logan's real interest in all this is somehow putting Jack through the meat grinder. Thanks to Jack Logan lost everything; his own plot was foiled, he lost his presidency and his marriage. Logan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who forgives and forgets.

April 27 2010 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply