September 30, 2014

'America: The Story of Us' Premiere Breaks Records for History

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 27th 2010 11:00AM
america the story of us'America: The Story of Us' is a hit for History.

Sunday's premiere of the six-part miniseries drew 5.7 million viewers to become the cable net's highest-rated special ever. The record-breaking educational series, which featured an intro by President Barack Obama, tracks 400 years of American history, from the early Jamestown settlers to the headlines of today.

"The success personifies the hunger for information and the desire to re-connect with our past," History President Nancy Dubuc said in a statement. "Ultimately there's no story more dramatic and gripping than the story of America itself.

The premiere featured commentary by celebs and public figures like Meryl Streep, Michael Douglas and General Colin Powell. Liev Schreiber narrates the 12-hour special, which will be offered on DVD to schools and colleges free of charge.

History will repeat the premiere, titled 'Rebels,' Wednesday at 8PM ET and Saturday at 10PM ET. Part two, 'Revolution,' examines how new weapons and battle tactics helped turn the tide of the Revolutionary War and premieres May 2. It's sure to draw a similarly large audience with its CGI-tinged battle re-enactments and focus on weaponry and technology.

(via: Deadline Hollywood)

Are you watching 'America: The Story of Us'
Yes! It's wonderful and informative.2170 (58.2%)
No, doesn't sound interesting to me.212 (5.7%)
May give it a shot in the future.1345 (36.1%)

jess

The thing that got me was the reading of the Declaration of Independence. They read about the first two lines. I think that was so people would not remember the rest. Our kids need to hear this stuff over nad over like we did. Things Like: that, to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. I think they were afraid some people would say they were backing the teabaggers if it was read all the way. You know offend some one. But hay history is offending to the one that got the crap kicked out of them. It still won't change what happened. For the most part it was a good show.

April 28 2010 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Khakee

I was also disappointed with the jump from 1620-1770. The aerial shots back and forth kept making me dizzy. Overall, I liked it, but I think they could've provided more in-depth information about the colonial period.

April 28 2010 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

Billy: Right on. Couldn't have said it better. When I turn on the TV I want to watch something informative or educational. Seems as most people, though, use it as a form of escapism or to just "veg out".

April 28 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

I missed the first episode. Judging from some of the comments sounds as if Ken Burns should have been involved/consulted with it's making. What would have been the harm with having more episodes so important information could have been included rather than being completely omitted? Typical. But not to worry. As long as we have the "drama" of pawn brokers, loggers etc. to watch it's all good.

April 28 2010 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberly

I'm so pleased that they're going to provide this series free of charge to schools and colleges! This is an awesome series and when I see what they're NOT teaching my children in school about U.S. History it infuriates me! Thanks again!

April 28 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rose

I missed the premier of the show, but reading this thought I might like to see the others. Now I wonder if it is the old stuff that we were taught in school. Everyone is really discouraged and disappointed in our government, and a lot of us are looking for the reasons that we have gotten where we are. Where did we turn our heads and miss all the things that have lead us to having a president that forces and bribes or whatever it takes to get us in more and more problems. He hasn't fixed or told the truth about anything, I am older and really discouraged, that HIS health bill is going to cost the older people dearly. He has already undermined the jobs in this country to the point that I wonder if we will ever be the same again. Now we aren't going to have to pay raised taxes-WOW-but he has us in a place that he is going to add other taxes on us that no one can afford.

April 28 2010 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grampz05

I haven't watched it, so I can't critique it: however, I didn't watch it because I don't trust the Hollywood types to accurately portray my country's history. Often times, things are distorted just by omission. Based on some of the comments I've read, sounds like I may have a point.

April 28 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billy

The History Channel is caught up in reality hell, like every freaking network on the planet. Which makes you wonder why a cable network about history, shows more reality. Most intelligent viewers shun reality shows for informative programming. Which the History Channel shows occasionally. They must show Pawn Stars every single day.

April 28 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

They are Not telling the whole truth...there are subtle in accurate
things ...two that blow me away is they called Paul Revere a
Political radical.. and have us assume the founders were political
radicals...also, We know Paul revere rides through the night shouting
..."the British are coming ..to arms to arms the British are coming
....they do not tell it that way , nor do they even mention it....nor
the lights 1 if by land 2 if by sea

They also make the claim that the french sent a gay general to help
Washington...without proof of this...History Channel " It is believed
his being gay lead to his diminished legacy... Theory ! not
fact....There are many other points that are purely liberal agenda as
well... you must keep a watchful eye on the truth....

April 28 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Giselle

I enjoyed it but have one regret. They hardly got into the relationship between the American Indians and the pioneers, but insted treated the indiginous people as something they passed by much like a deer grazing in the grass. That part of our history was a formidable struggle as well, and I would have liked to have seen that. I will watch the next installment and hope it's even better.

One more thing... stop the relentless and despicable pimping of that dump, Bank of America. It sickens me.

April 28 2010 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply