August 20, 2014

Did Trump Inadvertently Spoil 'The Celebrity Apprentice?'

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 27th 2010 11:32AM
This morning, Donald Trump went on the 'Today' show to talk about Bret Michaels, who remains in critical condition after suffering a brain hemorrhage last week. Of course, as Trump tends to do, he brought the conversation back to himself, saying that "I've been feeling a little guilty because I've been going after him," referring to Bret's run on Trump's 'Celebrity Apprentice.'

But two statements he made to Matt Lauer during the interview have me curious: that Bret's doing "really, really well" on the show and that "I can't imagine he's going to be in" the finale. Watch and see if you get as curious as I did:

Here's the problem with this whole interview: While Trump was talking about the show as if it was going on in real time, he acknowledged at the beginning of the interview that most of the episodes were taped "about two months ago." Even there, he's talking out of his rear, since two months ago New York was waist-deep in snow, and there's no snow to be found in any of the episodes.

No, as most 'Apprentice' fans know, all the pre-finale episodes were taped in the fall. So Trump knows exactly how far Bret has gotten, and he knows who is going to face off in the live finale. Heck, he probably already knows who he's going to pick, because the finale task has likely already been recorded.

So, when Trump says that "I can't imagine he's going to be in" the finale, does he mean that he doesn't think Bret will be well enough to make it no matter where he placed? Or does he mean that Bret got eliminated before the finale? Saying that he did "really, really well" on the show makes me think that he got pretty far, which is what I expected might happen.

If Trump inadvertently spoiled his own show, then it's understandable; like most of us, he's probably a little shocked by the news of Bret's health problems. But for all of Trump's bluster, foibles and flaws, one thing he's known for is keeping his cool. So, if he did spoil things, even slightly, it seems to be a move that's out of character for him.

Do you think Trump spoiled his own show? Let me know in the comments.

[Follow @joelkeller on Twitter.]

Virtuous Abrams

May 08 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Trump keeps his cool? He's an IDIOT. He "corrected" Lauper when she said she felt "bad"---that she felt "badly". Doesn't he know "badly" is an adverb? The only way someone feels "badly" is maybe if their fingertips have been sanded off.

April 27 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sam

It wasn't a spoiler. The whole cast gets to be in the final, even the people who were fired. He was just doubtful Bret would be well enough because it's coming up in a few weeks.

April 27 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

He means Bret will not be at the live finale, which all the fired celebs return to grill the final two and recap the season.

April 27 2010 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

When Bret went into the hospital Thursday night, Mr. Trump made a comment that Bret was a champion. Made me wonder then if he let something out of the bag and maybe now he is just trying to backtrack.

April 27 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandi

I think you are reading too much into it..I saw him on an earlier interview where he stated that in fact Bret is scheduled to be there for the finale, and i think all of this seasons contestants are..So, I think he meant health wise he cant imagine him being there.

April 27 2010 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike McNamara

I saw the interview and was wondering the same thing, but since I've never been much of an Apprentice watcher, I assumed that, like other reality shows, past contestants, even those that have been eliminated come back for the finale, as either panelists for Trump and company to poll before making their final decision (to up the drama) or as panelist for some sort of reunion show.

But I didn't know for sure and am glad to see you asking.

April 27 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply