'American Idol' - 'One of Six Eliminated' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 28th 2010 10:01PM
american idol top 6 elimination
Here's my deal: We need to have a Crystal/Casey finale, and Siobhan needs to go tonight. While the judges loved her, my ears told me that she sounded like a cat being mauled to death last night. I honestly do not understand the praise that is being heaped upon her. I'd be just as happy if Aaron the wedding singer left, but even I can admit that he hasn't had a bad performance in several weeks.

But no matter who actually goes tonight, one thing's for certain: there's going to be about 50 minutes of filler leading up to it. Tonight, we get Rascal Flatts, Shakira, vampires, emo violinists, and a whole lot of other things that only the evil geniuses behind 'Idol' can dream up in an effort to stretch 5 minutes of show into an hour.

Ryan Seacrest doesn't mince words: As soon as he's finished introducing the judges, we jump right into Rascal Flatts' performance. Granted, I'm not the biggest country fan, but I am aware of, you know, the world, so I understand that this band is hugely popular. I have to say though, based on this performance -- I don't really get it. It seemed bland and maybe even a little off-key? I don't know, but it just didn't do it for me.

As soon as we're done with that, we get the Ford music video and accompanying behind-the-scenes footage of the Idols getting all 'Twilight'-y. No surprise, even with the makeup, Aaron isn't that scary. But the behind-the-scenes footage doesn't stop there: We also get some video of the Idols messing around in the studio and doing voices for 'Shrek Forever After,' the new 'Shrek' movie in which Seacrest has a small role. The whole thing is basically an extended ad, as so many segments on 'Idol' are, but it's pretty cute, nonetheless.

After all of that, and some mugging by 'Shrek' stars Antonio Banderas and Cameron Diaz, we get to the first part of the elimination. Seacrest starts calling people up and forming different groups. He has Siobhan stand at the other end of the stage, he has Aaron stand in the center of the stage, and has Big Mike stand close to him. Next, he calls Lee up and has him go stand with Siobhan. Casey stands next to Big Mike, and Crystal stands next to Aaron.

Seacrest has Siobhan move next to Casey and Big Mike, and announces that they are our bottom three. I have to say, I'm surprised about Casey, but not so much about the other two.

But before we go any further, it's time for another performance. I've actually never heard of Sons of Sylvia (does that make me totally lame?) but apparently they've been working with Carrie Underwood pretty much since she left 'Idol' five years ago. They're kind of emo and I can't quite decide if they look more like an 'SNL' skit, or simply like a band featured on the 'Twilight' soundtrack. Also, what is up with all of the moody vampires tonight? I thought this episode of 'Idol' was supposed to be a commercial for 'Shrek,' not the Stephanie Meyer franchise.

After the break, it's yet another performance. This time by Lady Antebellum, someone I know solely from 'Ellen' and the couple of times I've been to the mall in the last six months. It's a perfectly lovely performance, marred only by the news directly following it that Rascal Flatts would be taking the stage once again, with Shakira.

However, the performance is actually really nice. Shakira takes center stage and even plays harmonica. It doesn't change my life or anything, but it's a perfectly lovely song and performance. Once it's over, we actually get back to the reason we're all here: elimination.

Big Mike is immediately safe, leaving Casey and Siobhan in the bottom two. Seriously, if it isn't Siobhan, I really don't know what I'm going to do. Okay, yes I do. I'm going to continue reviewing this show as I always have, but I'm going to be severely disappointed, you guys. Severely. Disappointed.

Luckily, it is Siobhan's last night, and I can go on much as I did before. I know that Siobhan had a lot of fans, and I do think she's good, but she's just been kind of horrible the last several weeks, so I've never understood all of the praise that's been heaped upon her. What do you think? Did the judges get it wrong? Did Siobhan still have some fight left in her, or was this a good place for her journey to end?

Dennis

whoever wrote this article has no taste when it comes to music. Maybe he's part of the tweens that support worse idol contestants like that dude with bieber-do

May 07 2010 at 4:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gaga1

I only watched the one show, top 26 pick and since then I've not watched at all. I will watch this Wednesday though and only because Lady GaGa is on/performing.
As soon as GaGa is done with her performance I am going to change the channel. I don't watch crap and the contestants this year are ALL just that. Lady GaGa is going to be the reason that A I's ratings are through the roof this Wednesday.

May 04 2010 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

People keep ragging on her for the scream (which was getting old) but at the same time, whenever she didn't do it, the judges blasted her for it. I think that out of all the contestants, Siobhan had to be the most frustrated. The judges refused to give her helpful advice, instead flaming her for being unique and wanting to try different styles every week. I remember one week when she kept it low key and Kara basically gave her a WTF? with her comments. 'Without the scream I don't even know who you are anymore'

April 29 2010 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Oh I am SOOOO glad to see the back of Siobhan.

Its about time she left, as her only claim to fame is her scream. It became tiresome listening every week to songs picked solely for the inclusion of a strong note that could be morphed into a scream. Granted, the kid is young and like most youth, picked up on the attention she gained from doing something out of the ordinary. Unfortunately for her, despite the rare ability she has of managing to stay on key during a scream, it got old.
She really had a fighting chance if she'd have sought to be more original in her singing as she did with her person. Maybe next year Siobhan.

As far as Casey being in the bottom? Yes it was surprising, but considering there will be more and more cases in the coming few weeks of seeing strong contenders in the bottom , it shouldn't have been.

Aaron is a cute kid. He can sing ok. His real link right now though , is the Donny Osmond, MJ,Justin Timberlake etc , thing. Tweens need an idol that fits their hopes and dreams. It's difficult to consider a 12/13yo dreaming of dates with Mike,or Lee, though Casey's angelic features keep him a distant possibility for the youngsters.

I love Casey. I don't see him winning. He appeals to the cougar in all of us who were teens in the 70s. His voice is good. His song choice is good. But I don't see him winning.

Mamasox is all the female greats in the past rolled into one singer. Her style is already set, she is an original, and she is more than capable of getting a great contract prior to the end of the show. I don't see her finishing . I think it's possible she will last till the second to last show though. Not as many want to see her go. She's an original.

Lee seems to be the producer's choice. I think he can go far with the whole thing ,is malleable enough to have Idol create the image they want, and would do well with an Idol contract. Because lets face it, with Idol contracts it is a fifty-fifty chance of actually making something of ones self after the show.

April 29 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wulfn1's comment
wulfn1

wow, apologies for the lengthy post...

April 29 2010 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

America got it right, again. Aaron's next, then Big Mike, and then it will be Casey and Lee duking it out to see who joins Crystal in the final. As much as I'd prefer it to be Crystal and Casey in the final, I fear it will be Crystal and Lee. He's good and he's really cute, but Casey can sing (and play) circles around him.

April 29 2010 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Harold Love

Lee is totally light. I'm surprised he doesn't blow off the stage. Look into his eyes. There's nobody there. He makes Taylor Hicks look poised and deep.

April 29 2010 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

The shell game elimination should be replaced by a tilt a whirl. Spin the singers around and when it stops and you're facing the camera, your ride is over, get out.

April 29 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I'm not sad to see Siobhan go. I've said this from the beginning and it's still true, that I have no idea what kind of album Siobhan would make. I say that because she didn't choose songs that she changed to fit her style, she changed herself to fit the song (and adding a scream doesn't count as changing a song).

The biggest example of that was last night's "Any Man Of Mine" when she tried to add a country twang she doesn't have, instead of singing it in her own style.

And it's been completely frustrating to watch someone as unique as Siobhan, with such an amazing range, not showcase herself and what she wants her future album to be, on stage. I truly doubt she'll get a record contract for that simple fact, though I hope I'm wrong.

April 29 2010 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rodlang

Siobhan has an amazing voice but she ruined it with the screaming...I thought the same about Lambert and he lasted until the end. Crystal should win, she is by far the most polished performer and it's not even close. But the mostly female voters may go for Lee or Casey.

April 29 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

One of the comments above says why is averone ragging on Aaron. The reason is he has no talent and to say he holds his own is not true. To call him a wedding singer is an insult to wedding singers everywhere. Why is he still there is beyond me but the kids obviously vote for one of thier own.

April 29 2010 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Let's just give the title to Crystal. She's going to win and no one will even come close. She's been consistently good all season.

April 29 2010 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply