October 1, 2014

Three More Shows You'll Never See On DVD

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 28th 2010 5:10PM
Spy GameBack in 2006 I did a post that highlighted the five shows you'll never, ever, ever see on DVD. It's a tricky post to do, because so many shows are being released on DVD now, even ones you thought you'd never see ('Brisco County,' 'Stingray'), but I'm proud to say my picks have held up these past four years. Though I'd still love to see those show on the shiny round discs.

Here are three more. Let's see how I do in another four years.

1. 'Spy Game.' A goofy but well-crafted action show that ran for about a dozen episodes on ABC in 1997. It starred Allison Smith ('Kate & Allie' and 'The West Wing') and Linden Ashby ('Melrose Place' and 'Mortal Kombat') as a spy team battling bad guys. It never took itself seriously and was often ridiculous, but always fun.

Sort of a lighter 'Alias.' It also had a lot of references to other TV spy shows. Patrick MacNee, Robert Culp, and Peter Lupus all made appearances (as did Dana Delany, Christopher Gorham, and Michael Weatherly), and in this clip below, take a look at the name of the store the serves as the cover for a secret hideout.

Now I want to see this show again. Time to get those old videotapes out, since this will never be on DVD.

2. 'Something So Right.' Another good sitcom that seems to have gotten lost in the haze of TV history. It wasn't massively popular (it ran for one season on NBC then went to ABC), but it's not "cult" enough to warrant a DVD release. I truly loved this show. It had a familiar premise: two people get married and their new families have to learn to deal with each other.

But this wasn't 'The Brady Bunch 2.0.' It was more sarcastic and threw the exes into the mix too, and thank God the kids on the show weren't the usual precocious kids you see on sitcoms. It starred Jere Burns ('Dear John') and Mel Harris ('thirtysomething') and was very well-written.

I think Lifetime or USA used to run repeats but now...oh well. It's not even on SlashControl or Hulu! Here's a promo that ran when ABC got the show. I don't remember this ad at all:

3. 'Married To The Kellys.' If this show is ever released on DVD I'll do the Macarena naked on the Golden Gate Bridge (or what I like to call "just another Friday night"). This was about a writer (Breckin Meyer) and his wife who decide to move back to her small hometown in the midwest. He clashes with her family in a lot of "big city vs. small town" scenarios, but it's all done with great humor. It ran on ABC for one season back in 2003.

The wife? She was played by Kiele Sanchez. Good thing this show was canceled so she could go on to play Nikki on 'Lost.' There's another 'Lost' cast member here too:

I really loved this show, and I'll probably never see it again. Sigh.

Jon B. Knutson

I would absolutely buy a complete series DVD of Spy Game -- I loved that show, and was very disappointed when it was cancelled!

April 30 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave the Knave

Johnny Bago. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106040/

April 30 2010 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

"Homefront," with Kyle Chandler (currently starring in "Friday Night Lights"), John Slattery (currently in "Mad Men"), Kelly Rutherford ("Gossip Girl"), Ken Jenkins ("Scubs"), Hattie Winston (recently in "Castle"), Mimi Kennedy, Wendy Phillips, and on and on and on. Fantastic show with excellent writing.

I sometimes wonder if because this show had such a huge cast if that's part of the problem - not being able to get everyone to sign-off on it and getting they're royalties, etc. worked out for a DVD. I don't know, but I've signed petitions, I've written letters, you name it. I have a few eps on VHS (that are probably turning into dust as I write this) that I treasure.

April 29 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place.

April 29 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

Ed, The Wonder Years, The Norm Show and Cheap Seats. I'd love to see all these shows in DVD.

April 29 2010 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MadMup

I'd love to see The Norm Show on DVD, but I bet that never happens, either.

April 29 2010 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Buddy Faro. Dennis Farina does comedy.

April 29 2010 at 7:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Exidor

I've given up on Batman (the 60s one with Adam West) ever showing up on DVD. There's also lots of 90s shows like Covington Cross, Mann & Machine, South Beach, Morton & Hayes, The Untouchables, The High Life, The George Carlin Show, The Building...

April 29 2010 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Adderly-Ran on CBS's Crimetime after Primetime (Before Letterman started on CBS) in the late 80s. It was a great Canadian show. Here is the Wiki info about it

April 29 2010 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

Mr & Mrs Smith? on CBS and the somewhat similar premise show on ABC staring John Stamos.

April 29 2010 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply