April 17, 2014

'V' - 'Heretic's Fork' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 28th 2010 9:12AM
V: Heretic's Fork
(S01E09) "What does this mean? I'm pregnant! What about the baby?" - Val to Ryan, after learning that he's a Visitor

I guess it would be pretty startling to learn that the guy you've known for ten years, the guy who's the father of your baby, is an alien with a lizard-like body hiding under his human suit, or "meat suit" as the 'Supernatural' boys call it. Poor Val. What a shock. And a shock for Ryan when she tells him she doesn't want him getting on the train with her.

In one way, I'm worried that she won't have Ryan to protect her, but in another way, she might actually be safer without him. Either way, it's a dismal situation, and Anna won't stop until she has that "mongrel" baby. But doesn't it seem like there would be other half-breed babies, since the Visitors have been living on earth for quite some time now? Anna better prime up some more soldiers, because they have their work cut out for them.

Tyler is really starting to bug me. I know he's been bugging some of you for a while, but it wasn't until this episode that I was practically yelling at him through the TV. I realize he has family issues that might make him want to turn away from his mom and dad -- if that's who they really are. On the other hand, he really hasn't known Lisa all that long, and all of a sudden, he wants to abandon his old life, follow the V religion, and go live on the ship? Argh.

What's worse is Lisa was trying to protect him by telling him the time wasn't right for the live-aboard program. She knows that once Anna is done with him, it's curtains for young Tyler. Lisa will be caught in the middle, but I think she'll fall on the side of Tyler when push comes to shove. She's got those human emotions.

However, Chad's intentions are a little fuzzy to me, and I'm not sure whether he's on the side of Anna or the side of the Fifth Column (I know you'll tell me if I'm missing a major plotpoint). The fact that they repaired his aneurysm is one thing, and since he's been shadowing Anna, he seems pretty chummy with her, and her with him. She was there when he woke up from his surgery. But he's also gotten in Anna's face about her true intentions, so it could go either way. Jack doesn't trust him, and neither do I.

One character I'm loving is Hobbes. I wish we could have been in the torture room and seen him go all Jack Bauer on Barnes, the murderer, with the heretic's fork. At least we got this when he took Barnes out in the woods: "First you're going to tell me everything you know about the Vs. Then you're going to beg me to kill you." I did feel bad for Barnes' family, though, and I guess you can see where he's coming from. Some "jackass" human on a cellphone hit his girl and paralyzed her. Any parent would have jumped at the chance for the Vs to heal her. But now, not only does Barnes owe them, he's just plain ticked off at the human race.

How about that V soldier? Things should get really fun when a bunch of those terminators are running around the earth.

Which side is Chad on?
The Visitors. He and Anna are pretty chummy, and he owes them for his aneurysm surgery. 139 (44.4%)
The Humans. He doesn't trust Anna and wants to get more involved with the Fifth Column. 122 (39.0%)
It's complicated. I'll tell you in the comments.52 (16.6%)

[(Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.]

literaryluv

I have a theory - I think that in some way or another, Anna is going to develop human emotions for Chad - I believe its something that they are leading up to slowly now. I am not sure how its gonna play out but those two just may have some sort of love affair that may eventually (REALLY LONG WAY DOWN THE ROAD) lead to Anna and the V's demise.

All I am saying is if it happens - I called it first. ;)

May 01 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JA

Chad is in complete conflict now. This was hinted at in the first episode, where Chad, looking for a way to win a story, says he finds the V's attractive, and decides to report positively on the V's. You could even say he flirted with Anna in the first episode. So he's interested: professionally his job now depends on the V's, personally at some level he likes the way the V's treat him. This was evident in the first episode of the series, it intensified in Geneva, Anna "saved his life" for what it's worth via the "V" medical technology, and his relationship to her is his "meal ticket" professionally, and if Chad keeps crossing lines (which V leads us to believe he will in the V world), maybe a little bit personally UNLESS there is a plot twist. So there you go: Chad depends on Anna right now - professionally and since, in the U.S., often someone is their job and the job is their identity and for a journalist, their identity is the story, personally. But that's the conflict: Chad as a journalist follows his story, to the ends of the earth, even if it leads to conclusions that contradicted his earlier notions. So if Chad has now been tasked to find out more about the Fifth Column, some things will confirm his suspicions but other facts will contradict them - so Chad will find himself in more conflict. And if he's more involved with Anna, how can he be credible? He will be forced to make a decision about whether his loyalties are to Chad's desires or to the survival of humans. The last episode Anna played on the fact that Chad has an ego. Will Chad's growing knowledge overcome his desires (professional/personal) or will his desires overwhelm his duties? Right now it seems the latter: Chad's desire to survive personally, and tell a story professionally, drew him even more to Anna, personally. If he truly meant what he said ("I can help the Visitors") then Chad may not be looking for another story: he may be looking for something else: a relationship with the V's that is more than professional. Chad has a privileged status in the V world that he is aware of and benefits professionally, and he seems like a competitive person that wants to keep that advantage. He's also benefitted personally and is not above being co-opted. The only thing that seems to get to Chad is knowledge itself, what he uncovers through his searching and conversations. There is still the seed of doubt planted by Father Jack and the head of the big governmental body, the U.N. figure. Now that he's searching again, perhaps at Anna's bidding but also because he wants to and he's sensing a story, he's going to stumble upon something.

April 29 2010 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

I, too, was massively disappointed with the "soldiers". I was expecting some freakishly distorted human, or just a full on lizard monster thing that would throw cars around, not a wannabe ninja with weird vision that takes two minutes to recover from a move that would also not necessarily put down a human. While the thing was working on pulling out the axe I would have gotten a headshot on it. Nothing else was really that great about this episode and this show continues to be just mediocre. The one bright spot for me was the preview for next week's episode where, if the implications that Anna will set up the Fifth Column to destroy humans/"harmless" Vs and brand them as terrorists are correct, then I can see this show picking up steam.

The stuff with Tyler is understandable, maybe just cause I'm around that age, and imagining myself in a similar position I would probably act as he's acting. Doesn't make him less annoying, but since he has little idea of what's going on I can give his character the benefit of the doubt and hope he'll improve.

I was surprised by how Val's reaction to learning she was basically the love interest from "The Fly" was realistic. I was either expecting her to be killed by the soldier or, when she was seeing Ryan off to give the standard pep talk and "they need you here" speech as a reason why he couldn't come, not to break up with him.

Hobbes is awesome. The priest annoys me. Nuff said on that front.

April 29 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

I also agree with commenter Parl, in that I was underwhelmed with the super (cough) soldier. Let me ask anyone who would they be more afraid of....Rambo, a Steven Seagal character, Arnold, or this lizard toughie. In my opinion any of the aforementioned humans could take out the lizard. Of course, to be fair, we haven't seen all the lizard can do yet.

But I think better writing would have had Hobbes better prepared by being armed with something more lethal than an axe. then he might have finshed the job on the lizard by pumping a few rounds in him. Heartless I know, but with tv you can go with it.

April 29 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tim McCleese's comment
Rev

Fully agree ... but I have to write it down to reinforce the point:
- Ty - 100% annoying
- Lisa - becoming annoying
- Chad - same thing. After seeing all the anchor's we see today reporting from the front, Chad's not convincing at all as a news man. but I'll let that one go. I think he's on the V's side at this point, but he'll flip flop eventually.

The worst .... The Warrior ... They've been creating suspense for two weeks about the warriors .... breed the warriors .... release THE warrior (only one because he'll create havoc) ... the warrior released ... and then what? A pretty normal guy, with the same knives the V's have been using for weeks, the guy needs to do some bird like moves and fish eye look so that you figure out that there's something different about him. Ryan looked meaner than this guy when he was a hunter in the past. Pretty dissapointing. I guess there's not much budget for some special effect, beyond the 2 seconds of Anna growing teeth to feed from her mate.

April 29 2010 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Well, I would at least put the Lizard ahead of Steven Segal, unless I was his female Russian "assistant". In that instance, I would put the Lizard last.

April 30 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

Good cast, decent acting, nice effects, and horrid, lazy, hole-ridden, uber-cliched writing. When well written sci-fi like B5, Lost and BSG make you willing to look over plot inconsistencies, on V its just soo hard to get past them. Ugh! They need to fire the writers and reboot this show.

April 29 2010 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vix

I'm with Parl. I love the story but the execution is terrible half the time. But last night's episode was a lot better - better pacing, dialogue has improved though Tyler and Ryan are my least favorite characters.

Chad is really on Chad's side. I'm wondering if the operation was an excuse for the V's to perform some kind of mind control on him - I guess we'll find out.

April 28 2010 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

It's really hard to know what to think of this series. The overall story is interesting, but the actual execution is weak and the plot is just so rushed with so many "huh?" moments.

The soldier part last night seemed dumb. He's a super solider who was supposed to create so much havoc and get stuff done but he was walking around on his tippy-toes and couldn't take out 1 V with a couple humans?

April 28 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

"Tyler is really starting to bug me. I know he's been bugging some of you for a while..."

Ha ha! You mean since, like... the pilot? Seriously though, I hope the Visitors dissect him for scientific research.

April 28 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I thought we were meant to at least assume that "something" happened during his surgery because they showed Chad be EXTRA agreeable to Anna's wishes post-op. I'm sure it's a red herring and no such thing happened, but it does make one a little bit more wary of him when he's talking to the Fifth column.

I'm annoyed at Tyler too, but I've been annoyed at him for a while. I'm actually not annoyed at him for the points you raised here. What teenage boy wouldn't want to leave his boring life and live in an alien spaceship with his hot alien girlfriend. At least THAT part is realistic in this show, so I'm not too caught up in it.

The previews next week looks very interesting though. Based on the promos alone (PROMO SPOILERS ONLY), it seems Fifth Column will take down a shuttle full of V soldiers, but I bet they find out in the end that the V tricked them and there were real people in there. The V would use this to turn the public against those Fifth Column "Terrorist." If this happens, wow.

April 28 2010 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Chad isn't on anyone's side but Chad's... I think he's just after the better story... and whoever can actually get him there? That's the side he's on for the time being...

To be honest, this show is getting hard to watch. I could hardly keep my eyes open last night.

April 28 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply