April 24, 2014

ABC Gives 'One Life to Live' A Vote of Confidence

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 29th 2010 9:08AM
erika_slezak_as_viki_one_life_to_live_abcIt's been a tumultuous few months for ABC's daytime drama 'One Life to Live.' Recently, we reported that Tuc Watkins is returning, and they are bringing in a former scribe to be the associate headwriter, and the gay couple -- Kyle and Oliver -- were dumped. All that hubbub had us speculating about the future of 'One Life to Live' in an era when longtime soaps like 'Guiding Light' have been canceled and another legendary daytimer, 'As the World Turns' is ending it's run in September.

Well, fans are concerned, too, especially after the story emerged last week about ABC Daytime developing a talk show for Tori Spelling. TV Guide went to the Jori Petersen, the head ABC Daytime PR, to ask if the Spelling show might threaten the future of 'One Life.'

"We want 'OLTL' to succeed and are doing everything we can to facilitate that. We want the show to be fantastic and robust. There are no plans for cancellation," she told the publication.

It's true that the ABC Media Productions banner, which is producing the Tori Spelling pilot, has other reality shows on the air on other networks, like SOAPNet's 'Southern Belles: Louisville' and 'Cha$e' for Syfy. So a Spelling talker wouldn't necessarily be taking over 'One Life to Live's' timeslot.

It would be an awkward fit there, too, because ABC Daytime would then have 'All My Children' at 1 PM and 'General Hospital' at 3 PM with Tori in between. That would ruin the flow of 'love in the afternoon,' if you recall that classic ABC soap pitch.

ABC Daytime is saying the right things about 'One Life to Live's' future, but the reality is that Nielsen ratings are down for all soap operas and the cost vs. benefit of the soap genre is being talked about at the highest levels of the networks. It could be that the time for soaps is drifting away, and a lot of that is due to competition.

In the days pre-cable TV, you watched soaps or syndicated reruns of sitcoms in daytime because there weren't 200 channels of alternative programming to entice you elsewhere. In 1971, there were 17 daytime soaps on the three networks; today there are seven ... soon to be six.

But ABC is in a unique position with the solid block of three soaps it broadcasts daily, and rebroadcasts on SOAPNet multiple times. The network would lose a lot by eliminating 'One Life to Live,' and inadvertently impact on the success of 'All My Children' and 'General Hospital.' A year from now, 'One Life to Live' will still be on the air, if you ask me, because it's better business for ABC. Beyond that, who knows...

ljshep57

It sickened me when they took Guilding Light off the air, in fact after Y&R I change the channel and don't go back. So now for them to talk about taking OLTL off (and that is the only thing I watch on that channel) there will be no reason to watch. There is way to many talk shows and the lord knows that is twice to many reality shows. There is few pleasures on TV for me and two of them are my SOAPs, and I don't miss them. If I can't watch while they are on I record them.

May 10 2011 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rena

If they cancel these shows they will lose a lot more viewers. I am sick of all the talk shows. Well one good thing will come out of this. My electric bill will go down cause I won't even turn the tv on when they cancel these shows. You guys need to re-think this move. Will the shows continue on Soapnet or will it be the end of it all together????

April 14 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deborah

I have been watching this show ever since i cauld remember. and i have never missed watching . I really like when they put John and Natlie back together.I hope they show more of them.The net work better not take oltl off the air.

July 03 2010 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole Clay

I have watched OLTL since way back when Todd (Roger) had a thing for Rebecca. I immediately fell in love with the new Todd (Trevor), a truly gifted actor. I suggest OLTL save money by easing out the recently hired or excess cast members and focusing the story on our faves: Todd, Tea, Starr, Natalie, Jessica, John, Viki, Bo, Clint, Charlie, Blair, Nora, Gigi, Rex, & Dani. I don't have Soapnet so PLEASE keep OLTL on ABC. Thanks.

June 13 2010 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOYCE

AMEN, Martystitches ! YEAH ! :)

May 01 2010 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

I hate CBS for cancelling my ATWT! In protest, and to become adjusted to the loss, I have begun watching OLTL. I love this soap! Only two weeks into it, and a little history lesson, I know most of the characters. People may hate me for this, but Todd is a riot! I like Kelly, Blair, Viki, and her future hubby. The teenagers are a bit much, and that kid that just beat the daylights out of Todd is a neanderthal! Do not like him at all, and somehow, I feel he will turn out to be Todd's kid in the long run. Not sure about John or Marty either. Maybe if people would write in to ABC, they could just steal Dr. Reid, Luke, and Noah from ATWT. Now that's a hot gay storyline!

April 30 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoeyO\'H

As The World Turns, Edge of Night, Search For Tomorrow, General Hospital, All My Childern, Secret Storm are the only Soaps I can think back in 1971. Was Love Is A Many Splendor Thing a soap?

April 30 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JoeyO\'H's comment
Sir Yuck-Yuck

with thanks to my Aunt's book Soap World by Robert LaGuardia the 18 soaps on the air in 1971 were

All my Children , Another World , As the World Turns , A World Apart , Bright Promise , Dark Shadows , The Days of our Lives , The Doctors , The Edge of Night , General Hospital , The Guiding Light , Love is a many Splendored Thing , Love of Life , One Life to Live , Search for Tomorrow , The Secret Storm , Somerset , Where the Heart is ,

May 01 2010 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Dump OLTL? Thank god! The soap opera had run its course. It's time to bid it a fond farewell as we did the prime time variety show. Besides, the soap isn't really gone. It's simply moved to prime time in shows like CSI, Gray's Anatomy, etc. (And the networks wonder while people are watching cable....)

April 30 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

I have those"200 channels" and still choose to watch All My Children. Do we really need another talk show or court show? PS....I am not allowed to watch AMC during they day....I DVR it and have to wait until my husband gets home....my big, biker, plumber husband who talks back at the screen the whole time!

April 30 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply