October 24, 2014

Damon Lindelof Says 'Lost' Fans Will Still Have Questions After Finale

by Rich Keller, posted Apr 29th 2010 5:15PM
Damon Lindelof says not all questions will be answered in the 'Lost' finaleThe creators of 'Lost' are not nice people. Oh, they may entertain us with smoke monsters, islands that are not islands and time jumps that would trick even H.G. Wells, but they have left so many questions unanswered during the last five seasons that fans are still trying to figure out what the heck is going on. The only thing that's keeping them going is the feeling that all will be answered in the series finale.

Well, guess what? That's not happening, either.

So says co-creator Damon Lindelof. In an interview with the Live Feed, Lindelof states that they'll be as definitive as they can be with their ending; however, people are still going to say, "What did they mean by that?" That's not to say the finale is going to be like the still talked about cut-to-black ending of 'The Sopranos.'

Despite all of this talk about unanswered questions, Lindelof did say that the current "flash sideways" device incorporated into this season, which has frustrated many fans, will be explained before the season ends.

Other than that, not much else was revealed, other than new sets had to be built and that the last episode was filmed out of sequence in order to prevent information on it spilling out into the gossip-filled world of the Internet. My guess: They're all in suspended animation during a trip to Mars. (Or, has that been done already?)

Mac keyogger

We must often repeatedly for truth, because mistakes in publicity, and repeatedly not individual person but have a large number of people.Do you think so?

May 19 2011 at 4:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sister Sarah

And the writers laughed all the way to the bank.

May 03 2010 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I hope they answer most questions but leave it hanging just enough for me to wish it were still coming back for another season. I still want to feel hooked and sad that this is the end. To me thats a good T.V. show ending. Wanting more, thats the key.

May 03 2010 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abraxus

I agree with those who say we don't need to have ALL the answers - I mean, even reading a good book you don't get ALL the answers - some stuff is always left up to the reader to imagine what else might have happened. That is why Lost has hooked so many of us - it's the one show on TV where you usually cannot guess what is coming next or where they are taking you - I just hope they end it will - like the way they ended "Alias" - not everything was tied up in a pretty bow, but it was satisfying.

May 03 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynne

So they don't want to admit they have not figured out the ending, they started writing and never came up with a good ending, so they are trying to dress that up and make it sound "mystierious..." If Mrs. Marple or Inspector Hucurle Poirot never solved a case, no one would read those books. It's cheap. I watch TV so I dont have to think, I think all day at work, I sit on two boards, I watch tv for guitly pleasure.

May 03 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
It\'sJustHurley\'sPsycheDelusionalDreams

Answer scenarios:
1. The entire show has been Hurley's one long pschycotic episode/illness. (because of how he and his lotto #'s tie everything in the show together).
or:
2. The entire show has been taking place in multi-verses. That's what the flash sideways takes and the time travel things are about. That the island doesn't move, PEOPLE do. Like quarks. In and out of dimensions of time and space. hell, it's probably how Hurley knew what lottery #'s to pick in the first place?
or:
3. The old God VS Satan premise. Like..... "Men are the battlefield upon which angels and demons dance." (quote mine). Anywho, Jacob and the Black Smoke thingy have been portrayed as both good and eviul, so much so, and from so many angles, that the actual line between good & evil blurs. And sometimes, they look the same.
or:
4. Back to muliti-verses again..........I think it's the Buddists or Hindus (? I forget which) that believe time and space are stacked like records on a spindle. Each universe spins on it's own level, with the slightest space inbetween. Each is a complete universe, and man's existence is spent traveling from one to another. That would also explain the flash sideways and how people are different in each universe. BTW, I actually like the nice Ben :o).

May 03 2010 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evesin

I can say one thing and that is I feel the writers are disrespecting all of us fans who have been loyal to Lost from day 1.

We all may not be as intellectual as "Paul" who doesn't need answers, but I DO!!.

I want to know the WHY and WHEN and WHERE. Maybe not every question will be answered, that's okay, but the important ones need to be or we, the viewers, have been used by these writers for their own purposes and probably financial reasons.

I was also very frustrated by them wasting a whole show dedicated to Richard's origins. That could have been explained in a few flashbacks, and then when they showed a rerun last week, it was that one.

I wish people like Paul would stop encouraging the writers into thinking that all of us are okay with the BS they are pulling on the viewers right up to the fade out!

May 03 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M2Cute4Jerks

I for one am going to be VERY disappointed when LOST is all done. My bfriend bought me Seasons 1 & 2 for Christmas last year and we watched them and bought seasons 3, 4 and 5. I am now all caught up and every time you "think" you know what is going on....you DONT! love it!! I can't wait to rewatch them once season 6 is out so I can catch things that were "lost" to me the first 5 seasons!! This show is about the only thing on TV I watch anymore....says alot about the other 99 crappy channels I have for nothing. Should just cancel my subscription but stuck in contract until Jan 2011......ENJOY all :)

May 03 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

The "Sideways" is the ending ... I quote: "everything that happened, happened." Whoever made it to sideways were redeemed from Hell via the man in black ... I am really gonna miss Lost and especially Sawyer! Can't wait for the MOVIE :)

May 03 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra

I haven't been a fan of the show, never missing an episode, to read Lindelof's comment that the end will leave you with "What did they mean by that?". Why does he think most of us kept watching all these years? Maybe that's the reason the season finales would end in May and stay off for nine months, Lindelof was trying to figure out what to write next. Now his lame excuse for not answering all the questions is just plain laziness. Shame on you ABC! Don't bother teasing us with any new series...I for one won't be watching.

May 03 2010 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply