September 30, 2014

'Community' - 'The Art of Discourse' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 30th 2010 8:05AM
'Community' - 'The Art of Discourse'
(S01E022)
I don't even go to college anymore (because I went at the right age ... DUH!), and those damned three teenagers were driving me crazy, too. Not crazy enough to do what the above scene is depicting, perhaps, but it makes me wonder how we let our teenagers survive into adulthood. They're almost too annoying.

It's nice to see, though, that as adults we are able to stay above their juvenile antics. We'd certainly never reciprocate in kind. We have our own pranks to pull. After all, that's what college is all about. It's on Abed's list.

Unfortunately, the multiple pantsing scene took things a bit too far when Pierce pantsed Shirley. Let's look at this social dynamic. It's okay for guys to pants one another, because that's funny. A guy pantsing a woman is inappropriate. Can a woman pants another woman (I know, most women probably wouldn't even feel inclined to do so)? Can she pants a man, and that's okay? Is it a matter of being the same gender, or is it just never okay to pants a woman? Shirley pantsed the teenage girl at the end of the episode (a brilliant way to end that debate, by the way). Man, I am way overthinking this issue. I'm going to pants my wife tomorrow at the grocery store and find out for sure.

I'm a little surprised that the group took this long to get fed up with Pierce's offensive ways. The run-down of all the ways in which he is an offender was nicely balanced by Annie revealing that Shirley was equally prejudiced against her Judaism, which Shirley defended by saying she was trying to sneak her into heaven.

I guess you could say at least Shirley's intolerance comes from a place of love? The fact that the lines of right and wrong are never clearly defined is a strength of the show. It isn't determined if Pierce was inherently wrong to pants Shirley. All we know is that she was upset about it, which means he probably should have apologized. Instead, he complimented her as a strong woman, which was probably the safer bet after he fake apologized to a different black woman. You have to love how fearless the show is.

Troy got pulled into Abed's college list of all the things you need to do in your first year. By the end of the episode we were fully in a bad 1980s college movie, complete with those awesome text updates of where everyone has since gone in their lives. A montage of still shots taken from the epic food fight that erupted ... because food fights always erupt at the end of a movie.

My favorite item on the list was the "ridiculous situation descending into heavy-handed drama for the illusion of story."

I just don't understand why 'Community' isn't doing better in the ratings, other than the fact that all of NBC is struggling in the ratings. Each week, it competes strongly with 'Modern Family' for best sitcom of the week. I solved the problem by putting sitcoms into three categories: family, social/friends or workplace/school sitcoms. Now I have a winner in the first and last categories, with 'The Big Bang Theory' representing for the social sitcom.

[Make your own decision with clips and full episodes of 'Community' at SlashControl.]

riddhish

which song is played at the end that is during the food fight?

April 13 2011 at 5:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barry

Apparently they were going to use the "Animal House" theme over the end credits, because the words to it were what popped up on the CC - but it was another song that played instead. Looks like they'd planned to use Animal House but couldn't get the rights to it at the last moment. That's ok, I just hummed it to myself while the "where are they now" credits played... :)

Forgive my lack of popular media completism - I know who Cliff Clavin and George Costanza are, but who were the rest of the people in Abed's list?

May 04 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

what was up with the Jimmy Stewart impersonations by the teens? did they think they were Dana Carvey?

who played those teens?

May 01 2010 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

funniest part for me is when Troy has the goat, Jeffa makes some comment and Britta goes "Its sarcasm troy, ask your goat"...and Troy immediately turns to the goat to ask before realizing what he is about to do

May 01 2010 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmalcolm

Of the many funny things that got me giggling, maybe the one that snuck up on me was when abed tried to go in the bathroom with the girls. One of those tiny little background jokes that makes this show so great.

April 30 2010 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

This show is streets ahead of all the new shows this year. Next week looks awesome too.

April 30 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgar

im starting to like this show more then modern family. both are unbelievably funny. rare that the networks cranked out 2 gems in one season and better yet both are renewed.

April 30 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anonymoose

The ratings problem for NBC is the NBA and NHL playoffs, not programs on other channels.

April 30 2010 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

The cuts to the goat when they were doing everyone's facial reaction was pretty funny. What an excelently shot show.

So was Troy's "I thought he would get superpowers, instead he just masturbates in public alot" was great.

The teens were so infuriating, they were too real, it made the episode painful to watch.

Anybody else besides me think Shirley was going commando when pantsed?

April 30 2010 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LMG

as a subsitute teacher i can honestly say they ALMOST nailed how the teenagers act. Strangely the only teenagers that don't act like them are usually the ones that are duel-enrolled. Also when did community colleges start offering duel enrollement?

April 30 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LMG's comment
Tyler

Hmm, not sure when they offered duel enrollment. In fact, I didn't realize community colleges offered fencing.

Dual enrollment, on the other hand, has been around for years.

May 01 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply