July 29, 2014

'NCIS' Contract Dispute Update: David McCallum's Signed

by Allison Waldman, posted May 1st 2010 2:30PM
david_mccallum_ncis_ducky_cbsReports of Ducky's departure have been premature. In an update on the 'NCIS' cast dispute that we reported the other day, David McCallum is signed for next season. That's right, his manager told TV Guide that the previous stories had incorrectly put him in the same boat with Michael Weatherly, Sean Murray and Pauley Perrette.

McCallum's manager explained, "I'm sure some of the others are negotiating, but he's not affected by it. He falls into the Mark Harmon/Rocky Carroll category. He's signed on for additional seasons. He's excited to be coming back to the show and can't wait to see everybody."

While it's gratifying to know that McCallum has a secure deal with the show, the other three stars really need to be locked up. We said it in our story, and our many comments agreed: 'NCIS' will not be the same show without Tony, Abby and McGee. Most fans wouldn't consider replacements for these core characters satisfactory.

One last thought regarding the economics of settling with the actors and giving them raises commensurate with the success of the show. Currently, 'NCIS' draws an average of 19 million viewers per episode, up 5% from last season. In addition, the ad rate for 30-seconds on 'NCIS' is $133,000. With those kind of positive figures, it shouldn't be too difficult for the producers to keep the cast together by sharing the wealth.

Naomi

Don't loose a single one of these people. NCIS is the only show I watch, and the only reason I had my cable reconnected. I plan my days and nights around this show. Without a single one of these actors, this show would not be the same, and I would be crushed. Please do what ever it takes to insure the cast stays just like it is. The chemistry between all of them is perfect, and in my opinion, cannot be topped. Abby is GREAT, and I don't care what she has going on in her personal life, it's her business. What I DO care about is this show staying JUST like it is, and staying on the air for as long as I live. Please don't change the only thing that makes me happy.

June 20 2010 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jas7769

Kate replaced by Zeba ok but WHY? and Holly replaced by Rocky not near as good , Do I still watch YOU BET

June 08 2010 at 10:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Just exactly how would they write 4 characters out of the show? Having them all blown up is too easy and shows no imagination. Hmmm, kind of like the executives at CBS! What happened to the forward thinking and creative people who created the show in the first place? Or have they all been replaced with people who will work for less money? Heads up CBS - you get what you pay for!

May 28 2010 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tina

NCIS is a classic, and they also have the best mesh of people working together. To replace or change a character would not work. This is the only show that I enjoy watching. The show shows so many emotions with this cast, it would be hard to replace them. As TV Guide mention, they are Still Smokin'! Give them their raises, they deserve it more than loser Charlie Sheen.

May 18 2010 at 11:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Roz

Lose one of the characters and the others can pull it through. Lose two. . I think you'll lose 25-30% of the regular viewers. Change 3 members of this cast and it wouldn't be NCIS any more. NCIS-LA isn't the same, don't like it nearly as much .. but it's timeslot makes it convenient and it's beginning to grow on me. Linda Hunt makes that show.

May 08 2010 at 11:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Patrick Hall

Actually, it doesn't matter what show it is, every character, no matter how well liked is replacable, I'm sorry. Just look at the Law & Order franchise. The original and best Law & Order has been on for 20 years, plus just got renewed for a record breaking 21st season. And how many cast changes has the original Law & Order survived? Yes the chemistry between Tony Abby and McGee is awesome, however bringing in new characters is a way to freshen things up. Believe me, when they brought Rocky Carrol on to replace Director Sheppard, at first I wasn't to sure, well I like Rocky Carrol as the new director. Bottom line is this, yes NCIS isn't L&O, but the way I see it. As long as Mark Harmon stays the show will survive, as long as NCIS fans give the new characters, if there are any, a chance. Or hell, since NCIS L.A. is doing good, maybe Mark Harmon doesn't need to stay.

May 03 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Sherry

I love NCIS, my 15 year old son and I never miss a episode. Give them a raise to keep the show on the air with the current characters. (Though man that would be a great salary, I could be debt free).

May 03 2010 at 10:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

Why would CBS chance losing this great group of characters over money, when they WAY overpay Charlie Sheen and his homelife is disgusting and always in the rags. This is a fine group of actors, led strongly by Mark Harmon, in putting on a good show without all the drama. Pay them what they are worth! I'l stop watching if any of the three don't come back due to CBS being cheap.

May 02 2010 at 8:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
JCB

CBS should look into the dark secrets Pauley Perrette is hiding that will be exposed in the coming year before they consider keeping "Abby" on the show. There IS such a thing as bad press when it starts a boycott of your sponsors.

May 02 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

cbs, give the three of them an acceptable raise, already!!!! cbs is being greedy, MH, PP and SM work very hard to make ncis successful, they deserve a proper raise, cbs!!!!! please, please, please i love tony, mcgee, abby and the others, please give them a raise so that they stay on, pretty, pretty please...i will die if they leave!!...btw, what's up with cote, there is nothing about her, why!???!!! she already signed on or what?? GIVE A DAMN GOOD RAISE CBS, THEY DESERVE IT....IF YOU DON'T NCIS WILL FAIL!!!!!! and u know that, don't be stubborn!! :'(

May 02 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply