August 20, 2014

'Smallville' - 'Sacrifice' Recap

by Jason Hughes, posted May 1st 2010 10:30AM
'Smallville' - 'Sacrifice'
(S09E19)
With the season winding down, Zod really needs to get down to business if he wants to take down Clark and take over the world. That is what he wants, right? All shall kneel before Zod. I think I've heard that expression a time or two. In fact, I may have heard it a time or two too much, by now.

Maybe I'm getting impatient for these threading storylines to actually go someplace, but I found myself frustrated through most of tonight's episode. We got a good chunk of it with Tess and Chloe locked up in Watchtower together, because this is a generic 1980s action show ... or a comedy ... or really any cliche show you can think of.

The dialogue seemed a little off tonight, and I could have really done without Tess giving all these weird looks to everyone through most of the episode. I found myself hoping Chloe would open the door and keep walking. You know what I mean.

Tess is still my vote for character to die, and it would have been a logical progression for Chloe to have just let her die there on the table. That way we could set Chloe up as the "big bad" of season ten. At least until Lex comes back. Or better yet, maybe Lex could come back and save Clark from Chloe-monster and even give Clark the impetus to finally get up off the ground and fly.

Everything with Tess and Chloe was so forced. Was there a point in their extended bonding session? Are they going to become Firestorm (where are my comic geeks at ...)?

Chloe not being able to shut down her own security because she wasn't intended to be in Watchtower when they locked it up is a bit ridiculous. Did she have a way to shut it down from the outside, or was the plan to just lose Watchtower completely as soon as it was infiltrated? If so, she shouldn't be too upset that she lost everything anyway. Now she can get started on that Justice League satellite. Perhaps a nice Hall of Justice so the 'Super Friends' narrator can have a job again.

"Meanwhile at the Fortress of Solitude ..."

After what he saw this week, Clark needs to get airborne sooner rather than later. Otherwise, I'm afraid Zod might be right about there being very little Clark could do to stop the Kandorians. They outpower them enough just by having the ability of flight. All they need to do is get him off the ground and he has no control or leverage.

The problem is that yet again, we didn't really get anywhere as far as the big battle forthcoming. Zod seems to have single-handidly decimated Checkmate, which I desperately hope he didn't. If Amanda Waller doesn't have a dozen contingency plans for just this sort of event, then she's a disservice to the ruthless brilliance of DC Comics' The Wall. Waller doesn't go down easy, so she'd better not be done.

Aside from that, if Checkmate is so easily dispatched, then why spend all that time building them up as something formidable. With just two hours to go, I'm not sure if even Jack Bauer could get us to any sort of resolution by the end of the season. Something tells me the writers knew about the renewal before they wrote the end of the season, so the conflict is going to spill into next season's premiere.

Just so long as Tess dies, all will be well. Her character is going nowhere, she's completely inconsistent, and Cassidy Freeman either doesn't care or doesn't have the skill to flesh out the character with any more depth and complexity than a steel post. In fact, playing a corpse was her best performance of the episode.

Wow, I've been really harsh on you this week. Don't take it personally, 'Smallville.' I think you're at that point in your season where you have to stretch and dance to fill time before the big end-game in the finale. It's not your fault your writers aren't strong enough to give us a satisfying hour of television while doing so I'm sure you'll get it figured out by next week so we can go into that finale all excited and nervous for what's to come.

Oh, and Zod branded a Z on Green Arrow's chest and killed the Kandorian woman who was carrying his child because she refused to "kneel before Zod." He's kind of into that. In his defense, he didn't know she was pregnant, and he was able to blame the humans to rally the jilted Kandorians to his side and against Clark, so it's all good. Plus, it reiterates that he's evil, in case we're somehow thick enough to have not gotten that yet.

[Find better installments of this long-running series with full episodes of 'Smallville'on SlashControl.]

joe

AM I WRONG? DID NOT TESS HAVE SEX WITH ZOD TOO??

May 03 2010 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Does anyone know if the Watchtower set is the redressed set of the clock tower hq from the Birds of Prey TV series from a few years ago? Sure seems as if it could be.

May 03 2010 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkwurm1

I enjoyed a lot of this episode, specifically the Tess/Chloe stuff. I like character development and for awhile Tess didn't seem like a nut job...well, not just a nut job. I don't understand though how Chloe could ever be set up as a Big Bad since once again she came out of everything looking more heroic than ever. Any question of how far her supposed fixation on ends justifying means would go is answered in her inability to let Tess die even though she is nothing but trouble.

The security set up trap was silly and illogical but this is Smallville so I hardly found that distracting. Wish the Kandorian's story had been fleshed out earlier (like Faora and Zod's relationship) so I cared about what happened to them.

Clark still hasn't figured out that everything works out better when the whole team is on the problem. Just think, they would have been able to save Watchtower and know that Checkmate was a coming threat and get the Kandorians away before it ever became a problem. Instead everything is in shambles and Clark looks more ineffectual than ever.

Maybe his mommy can save the day.

May 02 2010 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

I noticed that Justin Hartley co-wrote the episode too.

Clark really needs to learn to fly now. It's just ridiculous that every other Kryptonian on the planet knows how right away & he still doesn't after 9 years. Miller & Gough are gone, drop the damn rule already.

May 01 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to xnifex's comment
ashe

wow, i guess no one actually reads superman comics, because clark/superman is a huge gay loving boyscout, he is portray as the absolute goodness/pacifiist while batman/bruce wayne (which would be the green arrow stand-in here) as the more ruthless and logical person. At least batman never asked permission from superman like the green arrow does. If it was really batman here with superman, im sure he would of have a plan to contend with the do gooder clark here and ready to take down the kandorians.

but yeah, otherwise the whole plot and storyline for this season of smallville has been a mess.

May 02 2010 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian

the problem with this whole season for me has been the kandorians. theyre really not that interesting and checkmate has so much more potential to make an interesting season. i really hope checkmate is gonna be around for longer and i liked the preview for the return of martha kent...red queen maybe??

May 01 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

did anyone notice that Justin Hartley was involved with writing last night's ep?

this Kandorian storyline is really bad this season...that's why I turned it off until the JSA ep

May 01 2010 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rich4054@aol.com

I agree that last nights episode wasn't the best, but I think you forgot to mention the biggest problem. Clark. Is he twelve? He considers Kandorians "family" even though he barely knows them! He flies off the handle every time his friends try to give him advice. He acts like a boy with his first crush regarding Lois (who I was very happy not to see last night). I like the series but I think if Clark is to ever be superman he has to Grow up.

May 01 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply