August 28, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'They Don't Even Understand Their Own Language' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted May 2nd 2010 11:10PM
Caite counts golden Buddhas on 'The Amazing Race'
(S16E11) Yikes, it's the penultimate episode of 'The Amazing Race' already? Where did the season go? But, thinking back, I barely remember some of the earliest departing teams. I would have predicted that two of the teams in the final four would be here due to their early successes on legs. The other two, not so much.

However, on this show, the final four means little. It's the final three who finish the race, win or lose. If the final four were the criteria, perhaps we'd have a season finale which lasts more than an hour. For a top Emmy-winning reality show, the hour season premiere and hour season finale just doesn't cut it with me. I want more!
Of the four teams remaining, I'm cheering on the cowboy brothers, Jet and Cord. I think I've probably been cheering them on since there were ten teams remaining, but that's beside the point. Although they haven't run a perfect race, they've been a breath of fresh air. I'd rather hear "oh, my gravy" than to see Brent's mouth blurred because of an expletive. The cowboys are running a darned good race and they're taking troubles in stride.

Brent and Caite have been a relatively strong team throughout the season, definitely not due to their cheerful and pleasant dispositions. When Caite said she was out to prove she's not dumb and since she figured out the streets of Shanghai and "everyone can go screw themselves" -- well, that said it all. Maybe we mistook dumbness for being obnoxious? It's probably not easy to recover from making a fool of yourself in front of the world. Caite is proving her point. What's Brent's excuse?

I'm very surprised that both the young brothers, Jordan and Dan, and the cops, Louie and Michael, have made it this far. To give the boys their due, they've really made some smart social moves in the race in addition to performing the legs halfway decently. They have had some luck, too. They should realize that their pronunciation of Chinese places might be a tad off from the locals. The locals do understand their own language when it's spoken correctly. Louie and Michael? What can I say? They're not in great shape and not quite what I expected from cops.

The real thrill of tonight's episode seemed to be roaring through the streets of Shanghai in a cool motorcycle with a sidecar while wearing nifty eye goggles. Nope, no life-threatening plunges or anything like that and the motorcycle ride was just a way to get from Point A to Point B. At least we were back to a single roadblock and detour instead of the two roadblocks we had in the last leg.

The roadblock, while a bit interesting on a cultural level (how many golden Buddhas can you fit in a temple?), was just another counting game. Yawn. I found it more interesting when Brent was looking around outside at the various local folks and what they were doing. My only wish is that Caite wouldn't have been able to get the count right for about another five times.

As for the detour, I'm not sure why everyone always goes for those "needle in a haystack" kind of deals. It seems to me that if you have a good sense of balance, delivering ten orders of dumplings through the marketplace might be a lot quicker. But we'll never know because no one chose that detour. I bet the locals involved felt let down that no one did their part of the big show! Instead, all of the teams looked for stamps (chops), searching for two out of a gazillion stamps and having to pick up each one.

Although they tried to edit for excitement at the pit stop when it seemed to be between Brent/Caite and Jet/Cord, I don't think the teams were quite neck-in-neck, the same for the other two teams later. Alas, Brent and Caite won first place, winning a trip to Spain. She showed me, I guess. Jet and Cord came in second, while Dan and Jordan arrived third.

So there's our final three teams. Louie and Michael had a coin throwing speed bump due to their non-Philimination last week and just didn't have a great leg. They're history now. I'm not surprised. I'm just surprised they weren't gone long ago. How about you?

Should the finale be longer than one hour?
No, an hour's fine98 (17.5%)
90 minutes would be nice167 (29.8%)
Two hours with a Q&A session hosted by Phil Keoghan!296 (52.8%)

Suman Pal

The Amazing tv show is such amazing show as its name. I watch The Amazing Race online daily.The Amazing Race is an American reality game show in which teams of two or four race around the world against other teams.

April 07 2011 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Just because Catie can read a map doesn't mean she is not ignorant. She is! and an embarrassment to the U.S.
She doesn't seem to understand that people are watching the show and know that she is a homophobe - can someone help her look that up?

May 09 2010 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
McMary

Ladies and gentlemen, defining the term "Ugly Americans"... Brent & Caite! She may be trying to prove to the world that, after her pageant fiasco a few years ago, she is not dumb. In the meantime, what she's proving is that, despite her pageant looks, she is an ugly, mean, angry and rude person. And Brent? Right there with her.

I think I could find myself rooting for Dan & Jordan, if even one episode could take place without one or both having some type of emotional breakdown. And to waste 2 hours just wandering in circles, angry because Chinese people IN China spoke... oh.. CHINESE .. and then just play "follow the cops" .... Dan & Jordan should have been knocked out of the finale because they did nothing to get INTO the finale but ride coat-tails.

I find myself, as I have for the past half dozen episodes, cheering more and more for Jet & Cord. I really want them to win. They have played well, enjoyed themselves, have not once had to be "Bleeped" for language and have been polite. They don't fight with each other or other teams. They look at the task given and they do it. If they screw up, they do it again and get it right. No drama, no histrionics, no tears.
They have represented Oklahoma and the rodeo/bull riding world well, as well as showing the manners and class that so many of the other teams in this season's race have sorely lacked.
So come next Sunday night, all anyone will hear from me is GO COWBOYS! Any other outcome and I will be sorely disappointed.

May 03 2010 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I hope the Cowboys win. I was hoping the other brothers lost. I can't believe they wasted 2 hours waiting for the cops. They couldn't walk around asking if anyone spoke English to get directions.

May 03 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Couchtime With Jill

I don't want the models to win, but I don't hate them either. There have been way less likable teams on past seasons. I'm rooting for the brothers to win, because the cowboys are the obvious favorites and I like underdogs. Plus, I hate non-elimination legs and I'm impressed that neither the models or the brothers have ever come in last place.

Check out my review of the episode at http://couchtimewithjill.blogspot.com and comment on what you thought of the show!

May 03 2010 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ditroia

Why would the Cops help the brothers, they knew they were at a Disadvantage, and the brothers contributed nothing to getting to the bridge.

May 03 2010 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doris

jackie, you do such a great job ....I really appreciate your
comments and your sense of humor! And your pictures are fabulous!!
Jackie, who does the celeb apprentice recaps? Thanks so much for your help.

May 03 2010 at 6:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis

this is my first year watching the amazing race..I only watched because of Jeff and Jordan but must say I am now hooked! I like the cowboys like the rest of America but really want the Dan and Jordan to win. And again like the rest of America, all will be well as long as the brats (aka Brent and Caite) don't win. I'm sure they will win though because i never expected them to get this far!

May 03 2010 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

yes, The Amazing Race should do like Survivor and have a reunion type Q&A after the finale even Big Brother did this last year and all 3 shows are CBS shows

I would also like to see a CBS reality show mash up one season,, take a few people from past Survivors and the Amazing Races and throw them into a house -- take a few people from past Big Brothers and the Amazing Races and throw them on a island -- take a few people from past Survivors and Big Brothers and let them race around the world

May 03 2010 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sir Yuck-Yuck's comment
John

Dear God please, no more survivors on AR or BB. Keep them on their own shows.

That said, I find the cowboys a little annoying. And Caite. And the brothers. Uh oh...

May 03 2010 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikek1814

Dear Lord:

I don't ask you for much. I know you are busy with real problems, what with oil spills, Republicans and whatnots. However, I feel an overwhelming need to ask you for a favour. I am not asking for riches. I am not asking for fame. What I am asking is that, for all that is holy, please, please, PLEASE do not let beeyach Caite win "The Amazing Race".

Amen.

May 03 2010 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mikek1814's comment
Sir Yuck-Yuck

LOL but yes, may god bless you on that :)

May 03 2010 at 2:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Thank the powers that be - I'm so glad that Catie and Brent did not win! Catie proved over and over again that she is truly ignorant. She might not understand that stupidity and ignorance are not necessarily the same thing, but she excels in both of them. Maybe someone can explain it to her.

May 09 2010 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply