September 23, 2014

ABC Has Plans for 'Old Christine' ... Maybe 'Ghost Whisperer,' Too

by Allison Waldman, posted May 3rd 2010 12:03PM
cbs_the_new_adventures_of_old_christine_julia_louis_dreyfusFor the past two years, ABC has expressed interest in picking up 'The New Adventures of Old Christine' if CBS decided to drop it. This year is no different. According to Deadline.com, if CBS cancels 'The New Adventures of Old Christine,' ABC will snap it up. The network even has a plan for where to program the Julia Louis Dreyfus sitcom. It'll be paired with Patricia Heaton's 'The Middle,' leading in to 'Modern Family' and 'Cougar Town.'

That would make for a very solid night of comedy, likely Wednesday again, which is what worked so well this season for ABC -- with the exception of Kelsey Grammer's woeful 'Hank,' which was mercifully axed by ABC last November.

'Christine' and 'The Middle' would make a good pairing, although neither show has been a ratings juggernaut. However, ABC would benefit from swiping 'Christine' from CBS because the Tiffany network would have to find a replacement, and they would lose whatever loyal 'Christine' viewership has built up in four five seasons. There's also the possibility that ABC is putting it out there that it would want 'Christine' to force CBS into keeping the show.

There's also been buzz that ABC might have its sights set on another CBS program: 'Ghost Whisperer.' The Jennifer Love Hewitt production is run by ABC Studios in a co-production with CBS Studios. Therefore, ABC has a vested interest in keeping 'GW' on the air. The decision could come down to how robust the CBS pilot season has been.

With shows like 'Hawaii Five-O' and the spinoff from 'Criminal Minds' likely to be greenlighted, and CBS perhaps wanted a full season of 'Undercover Boss,' the network may be ready to drop 'Ghost Whisperer.'

ddicksond

that would be a great line up for ABC

May 15 2011 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane Watts

Ghost Whisperer, Medium, and The Good Wife are the only 3 shows I will make time to watch. I even record the reruns I never get tired of watching them. I really hope CBS reconsiders canceling it. I am only one person but other people I know feel the same way. CBS please reconsider canceling this show.

May 28 2010 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEREMY

I didn't mean to imply that 'Charlie's Angels' was picked up by CBS. I said that Wonder Woman was on the ABC network ALONG WITH 'Charlie's Angels'. Sorry for the confusion,pBOB. BTW, thanks for pointing out about NBC's 'Bionic Woman' show. I liked it,even if it DID only last one season. Stronger scripts could have saved.IF IT WEREN'T FOR THAT MOTHERFUCKIN' WRITER'S STRIKE THAT YEAR!!!

May 04 2010 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Windsor

ABC, how about bringing back "Get Christy Love," "Honey West," and "Jonny Quest?"

May 03 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

GHOST WHISPERER IS TE BEST SHOW ON TV TODAYHOPE IT STAYS ON CBS I NEVER REALLY WATCH ABC I COULD CARELESS FORNEW ADVENTURES OF CHRISTINE DON'T FIND IT INTERESTING AT ALL SHOW CBS SHOULD KEEP GHOST WHISPERER & GET RID OF THE NEW ADVENTURE OF OLD CHRISTINE HECK GET RID OF ALL THE 30 MINS SHOWS THERE IS NOT MANY OF THEM LEFT 1 HOUR SHOWS ARE BETTER & CBS SHOULD PUT CSI: MIAMI ON TUESDAY NIGHTS NEVER GET A CHANCE TO WATCH IT & GET RID OF THE GOOD WIFE IT SUCKS

May 03 2010 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
New York Fan of Both

I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In other words the shows are doing fine just where they are.

May 03 2010 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

Heck, I'm STILL scratching my head about them canceling Samantha Who! I think Christine would be a good addition to ABS on Wednesday... but does that mean CBS will pair Gary Unmarried with Accidentally on Purpose? Who knows!

May 03 2010 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Hanson

HEY ABC!! Y don't U bring back so great shows u dumped like Womans Murder Club, Men in Trees, & Dirty Sexy Money, instead of looking for leftovers from other networks, your track record 4 the last 5 yrs stinks. The ONLY good thing you've done lately is kept Dian Sawyer.

May 03 2010 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shelly

I wish ABC would axe "Cougar Town." What a waste of air time. This show sux big time.

May 03 2010 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to shelly's comment
Ben

Cougar Town is a pretty good show I really like it and it's funny as well. The show doesn't suck & isn't a waste of time either so your wrong Shelly.

May 03 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joi

I will stick with Miami shows, House, Fringe, Law & Order,
Gost Wispers,Medium, MISS MY GUY ON LAW & ORDER CRIMINAL INTENT.
DON'T LIKE NSCI THE GUYS ARE JOKING DUDS...
IT SEEMS CBS HAS GREAT SHOWS AND SOME NBC.
ABC I JUST DON'T KNOW. I LIKE THE TYPE OF SHOWS ABOVE. NO COMEDIES....

May 03 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply