December 19, 2014

'How I Met Your Mother' - 'Twin Beds' Recap

by Joel Keller, posted May 3rd 2010 10:03PM
Josh Radnor and Neil Patrick Harris in 'HIMYM' - 'Twin Beds'
(S05E21)
By now, it's not much of a stretch to say that most 'How I Met Your Mother' fans have moved on from both the Ted-Robin and the Barney-Robin relationships. They're both over, kaput, donezo. Robin's moved on, and the guys have moved on, and we're all ready to explore how the gang conducts their lives as just friends.

Which is why, despite the fact that this episode had a number of good laughs, I just sat there for the entire 22 minutes thinking, "I don't buy this." I know that a sitcom like this needs romantic tension in order to survive, but what went on this week felt pretty contrived, as if Bays and Thomas couldn't think of another romantic direction for Ted, Robin, and Barney, so they decided to tread on old ground not once, but twice.

I can almost see Barney wanting Robin back; he had those longings during the last scenes of 'Of Course' (aka 'The Episode Jennifer Lopez Used To Promote 'The Back-Up Plan''). And, his feelings are definitely more in the immature, "I just want what I can't have" vein that Ted thought it was.

But why all of a sudden is Ted smitten again? Because Robin wants to settle down with Don? So, is this just him acting out his increasing desperation to find a mate, something that seems to happen to a lot of people as they reach their mid-30s? Or is he yet again truly in love with Robin?

It all just feels like an artificial obstacle Bays and Thomas threw out there, just to liven things up. It doesn't even come close to having the resonance either bro's relationships with Robin had. Then again, Robin's romance with Don hasn't felt all that great either.

It's a nagging problem the writers have had over the last few years; because they're concentrating so much on getting the members of the gang their own stories, lines, and jokes, they've neglected just about every relationship that's occurred outside of the group. Think about what happened with Ted and Stella, for instance; it seemed like, two episodes after lasering off Ted's tramp stamp, they were close to getting married. There weren't enough episodes in between to let us get used to the idea of them as a couple. And the same thing has happened with Don and Robin; it didn't seem like that long ago that Don was the guy who cared so little about his job that he read the news in his tighty whities.

So how long is this romantic dark alley, and Robin's self-imposed exile from the group in order to make sure things work with Don, going to last? Into next season? Or will it be over next week? For some reason, I'm hoping it's the latter, because I'm not that interested in seeing both Ted and Barney pine after Robin for an extended period. Been there, done that, wrote the recaps.

More fun stuff:

-- Ah, doesn't every couple fantasize about sleeping in twin beds like a '50s or '60s TV couple? Man is meant to sleep on his or her own, not spooning someone else. Anyway, loved a) that Marshall kicking Lily out of his bed got her angry enough that she was ready to "push them together" -- and we're not talking about the beds, and b) Marshall kicked her out after the pushing as if they were on a one night stand.

-- It was a weird Barney week; there was lots of Barney-related humor but not a lot of it was good. Did you guys think NPH and Josh Radnor did good drunk acts? I'm not sure; I did love Barney calling himself "Barn Door" to Robin and saying he was "open" (the Best Barneyism of the week), but the rest of the time Barney and Ted sounded more fake-drunk than drunk.

-- How come Don was the only one in the history of the series (correct me if I'm wrong on this) to think Ted was gay? Some of the examples given -- "I didn't know the Jets had new costumes" -- might have been a bit over the top, but there was plenty of other empirical evidence over the years. Yet no one put it together. Hm....

-- How many letters about Karen has Past Ted written Future Ted? He can probably fill a binder with them.

[Watch clips and free episodes of 'HIMYM' at SlashControl.]

[Follow @joelkeller on Twitter.]

annx

I can't watch this show anymore - it is so irritating. The whole Barney Robin thing was just handled so badly. Barney is just tedious now, and a waste NPH's talent.

May 05 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danail

Don? Don is someting real? Ted and Barny is not? Bad Don-idiot is real? Sorry, i'm just dont like Don character and actors how played Don - Benjamin Koldyke.

May 04 2010 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I agree with some of the posters, that Ted & Barney having feelings for Robin both make sense, I'm just not sure they needed an episode for it, or for them to both get drunk and blurt it out. I feel like Robin's relationship with Don is totally lame and forced. And that the Marshall-Lily story-lines are just as lame and forced.

I guess I'm a show purist, and would like to see it center around Ted's search for "the one" and how the characters around him help him get there again.

And I think Robin leaving the blue horn there was to tell Ted she's over it and not even the blue horn is going to work to bring them back together.

May 04 2010 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rljones

Did anyone else notice that Robin left the horn in her room when she moved out? That could be taken 1 of 2 ways:
1) she was being cruel to Ted by leaving it there
2) she will be back for it.

anyone agree?

May 04 2010 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bdaw

So confused with the review here. I agree, in principle, that much of the humor was hit or miss (and the fake drunk thing is really terrible--why are these actors so bad at playing drunk?), but I think you're finding faults in areas they don't exist.

To me, Ted's interest in Robin makes a lot more sense than Barney's interest. If you remember, Ted never really wanted to break up with Robin--he never fell "out of love" with her. He broke up simply because she refused to move forward and show any signs of interest in a mature, committed, 'next level' relationship, and he didn't want to be in the relationship for anything other than finding a wife and settling down.

Now that she's reaching that point of her life, he's naturally interested again. Now he would, in theory, get to have the girl he always wanted in the scenario he always wanted. Everything that was wrong about Robin is suddenly right.

I also feel like the touching bit at the end (with the milk carton) needs to be addressed. I'm not talking about this critic in particular--honestly--but I always find it weird that people rip on this show for losing its personality/emotion over the years, yet then don't give the show credit when it actually features a season 1/season 2 style "moment."

Also surprised that no one's pointed out how egregiously the Marshall and Lily storyline borrowed from "Seinfeld." First with Marshall's rant about sex and sleep getting all tied up and connected (the episode where Jerry and Elaine decide to become friends with benefits) and then with the very idea of the separate beds (the 'Jimmy leg/arm' issues with the Costanzas, as well as Kramer and his girlfriend).

May 04 2010 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bdaw's comment
Jim

It seemed to me that if the Lilly/Marshall storyline borrowed from any show, it was King of Queens -- there was an episode of that show where Doug and Carrie went through pretty much the exact same thing Lilly and Marshall did this episode.

May 04 2010 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

Nice set of thoughts. Agree this was a thin episode. Slapped together with a few laughs, yes, but whole tone of
show is slipping away. Maybe contract time and decisions soon about what shows stay & go. Just feels worn down and played out. What's the next goofy moment isn't enough to hang with lame drunk routines and double beds.
Please CBS move on to something fresh now. More like first season of Big Bang was. Anything out of the ordinary will work just for fresh people even if concepts are a retread.
Matter of fact Mother made Rules seem burned out too.
Did like Big Bang tho. Just more energy, tensions and unknown outcomes.
Comes down to how the players themselves still seem engaged with the show. Mother & Rules don't.
Christine seems tighter written & cared for by comparison.

May 03 2010 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply