November 25, 2014

Six NBC Shows on the Bubble

by Allison Waldman, posted May 3rd 2010 5:27PM
Chuck_Sarah_NBC_2010_tuxedo
The past season was a tumultuous one for NBC, what with the Jay Leno experience turning the primetime schedule into a whirl. The fact that Leno's ten o'clock show was a disaster resulted in NBC scrambling to fill in during the second season. Fortunately, at least one legit hit has emerged -- 'Parenthood.'

Still, as the network contemplates the future, there's really six programs that could be called on the bubble, teetering between a pick up or a cancellation. So what is the likelihood that NBC will renew these shows? Here's our take:

1. 'Law & Order' It hasn't officially been renewed, but when Angela Bromstad, president of prime time entertainment, spoke about the Dick Wolf show, she practically assured it's coming back. "I'm a 'Law & Order' junkie. I wouldn't want to be responsible for not having 'Law & Order' break the record." That record is 21 years on the air, the longest drama in primetime history -- surpassing 'Gunsmoke.' That said, it's probably a sure-thing that Sam Waterson and company will return for another season.

2. 'Chuck' If it were up to the devoted, Subway-eating fans of 'Chuck,' there'd be no question that the show would be back. Just last week, they were staging a new save 'Chuck' campaign. Based on the quality of the episodes, 'Chuck' has had a 2010 season worthy of renewal, but the ratings remain a problem. An overly competitive Monday time slot hasn't helped. When all is said and done, 'Chuck' will probably get a mid-season renewal for 13 episodes.

3. 'Heroes' The only positive thing NBC can say about the once-stellar 'Heroes' is that it still has strong international appeal. That's not good enough to warrant a renewal. 'Heroes' reminds me of ABC's 'Ugly Betty,' a great show that flamed out really quickly.

4. 'Trauma' While a show like 'Parenthood' has thrived, 'Trauma' just hasn't caught on. And it's not an inexpensive production either. NBC won't continue to beat a dead horse. 'Trauma' will be axed in favor of something new, like 'The Rockford Files' remake that is a virtual lock for the fall schedule.

5. 'Mercy'
Unlike 'Trauma,' 'Mercy' has a little buzz. Not much, but a little. It's right on the borderline between getting a second chance or not. If it was on USA Network instead of NBC, it probably would be given time to evolve. If I were betting on its future... well, I wouldn't. NBC will probably opt for something new coming out of pilot season. The network needs a new identity.

6. 'Community' The NBC Thursday sitcom line up is not the must-see TV it once claimed to be. However, since 'Parks & Recreation,' 'The Office' and '30 Rock' are all coming back, NBC is likely to let 'Community' return, too. It has promise, good reviews and a solid cast. It may not be the right show to kick off the line up, but it's probably going to be given a second season somewhere on NBC's schedule.

(Editor's Note: As one of our commenters reminded us, 'Community' has been renewed; we even wrote about when Dan Harmon surprised the cast with the news. Apologies for that one -- JK)

6. 'Law & Order: SVU'
There's every reason to believe that the powers that be will see the wisdom in keeping the most watched 'Law & Order' securely on the schedule, especially since there's a chance of yet another spinoff, 'Law & Order: Los Angeles.' If only to placate Dick Wolf, and keep the 'L&O' brand strong, 'SVU' should be back, and likely bounce back from the debacle of moving it out of its 10 o'clock perch to accommodate Leno.

[Check out clips and episodes from these shows on SlashControl.]

Kenneth Sneum

Please let Heroes get a chance to end the show with a proper season.
If not, I will personally travel to the states and seek out the person or persons that made that terrible decision and tell them a thing or two!

oh and I'm also a big fan of Better Off Ted, Chuck, Fringe, Smallville, The Big Bang Theory & The Mentalist.. So please let them get renewed as well :)

May 22 2010 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I hope Chuck stays on for a while long I love this show it is a fun and interesting show. Chuck has just begun don't cancel this great show. Consider moving it to a night like Tuesday,and Wednesday. Love Chuck and Sara

May 19 2010 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stewart2120

When It came to NBC night time lineup I stopped watching when ER was cancelled. Trauma reminded me of the old show from the 70's called Emergency. Trauma is a great updated version. Cancel and I stop watching NBC!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordan7833

NBC please bring back "Mercy" and "Trauma"! They are the ONLY shows on NBC I bother to watch anymore. Both are great and offer different viewpoints in the medical drama category. Both of these shows need another season!

May 14 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

Mercy is one of the best new shows in a long time. The chemistry of the cast is fantastic. Please don't cancel this show!!!It has a great mix of drama and comedy.

May 07 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Heroes is my favorite show on tv. To say the only thing it has going for it is big international appeal is way off. Yes the ratings are nothing compared to its first season, but it still gets decent enough ratings. It was one of the top legally and illegally downloaded shows on the net (which means alot of ppl are still watching it, just not in it's timeslot). Dvd sales and website hits are also still very high, so why wouldn't they want to keep this show around? Also add in Heroes had new episodes on Mondays on NBC, then the same episode was shown multiple times during the week on G4. Between that, ondemand, dvr, tivo, and downloads, Heroes still has great ratings. Heroes is still the best show on tv and I hope it sticks around, the set up for the next season looks to be awesome.

Also love trauma, it's the only medical drama I've ever liked, so I hope NBC changes their mind about canceling it.
Chuck is pretty good to, not a must watch for me, but still enjoy it, hope it sticks around too. But if I could only save one it be Heroes!

May 05 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathy from Ohio

Chuck is such a great show, and I don't agree that the first season was better. This has been fantastic, and I will be disappointed if they cancel it. PLEASE bring back Chuck!!!!!

May 04 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

NBC has consistantly showed that they rarely have a clue what they're doing on any channel under their control. Prime example? The Sci-Fi channel. Now it's the Syfy channel and has little to do with its science fiction origins. The only real hope is that another network or cable channel picks up the programs that get canned.

May 04 2010 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

I hope Mercy and Heroes gets renewed. Mercy is just great ... dramatic when it needs to be and humorous throughout.

May 04 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Too bad about Trauma. It was a great show with a great cast. Love Chuck! L&O always a fav, but I hate what they've done to L&O:SVU. They should've went the Liv & El romance way.

May 04 2010 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply