October 24, 2014

'Chuck,' 'Big Bang Theory,' 'House' Hit Season Lows

by Chris Harnick, posted May 4th 2010 1:45PM
ChuckNot even an organized Twitter assault could help NBC's 'Chuck' find viewers.

According to the Hollywood Reporter's Live Feed, 'Chuck,' 'House' and 'Big Bang Theory' all hit record season low ratings. Fans of NBC's 'Chuck' did their best to drum up interest in the bubble show, from trying to organize a flash mob to a Twitter campaign, but it didn't work.

'Chuck' dropped 10 percent compared to last week and with 5.9 million viewers the episode tied with the lowest-rated episode ever.
Fox's 'House' fell to a season low, with 9.7 million viewers and a 3.8 rating. However, '24' saw 9.1 million viewers, its highest-rated telecast in three months.

CBS' 'Big Bang Theory' had a special 9PM airing and fell 12 percent compared to last week, pulling in 11.5 million viewers.

andyg8180

I thought BBT was a repeat... didnt know till this article that it was time changed... i watched chuck live and loved it... to be fair, the weather is getting nice on this side of the country and i doubt i'll be watching as much TV

May 05 2010 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

House has been horrible ever since the DEA took over as showrunner this season. Regardless of whether you believe me or not, the show has been horrible ever since Dr. House's pain and pill usage has ceased to be part of the show. I stopped watching House a few months ago, but from what I hear the show has only gotten worse.

I hear House actually takes advil now. Wow. And all the witty banter is apparently gone (it was gone by the time I stopped watching). One of my friends told me the last few episodes were some of the worst TV he's ever seen.

House was my favorite TV show for several years, and Gregory House was my favorite TV character for several years. It's such a shame that the show and the character are ruined - more casualties in America's asinine "war on drugs."

If you are one of the brainwashed masses, then I guess you should be happy - the government will say that they saved the lives of many children by getting a cool, popular, witty TV character to stop "abusing" narcotics. If you believe that, then you probably agree that it's worth ruining one good TV show to save the lives of children.

Anyway, i'm not surprised to hear House has gotten its lowest ratings ever. I've watched the ratings begin to fall, lower and lower, ever since they ruined the show. It's no coincidence. Taking the vicodin out of House is like taking the guns out of "24".

May 05 2010 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

If nearly everything was down, why's it being painted as a failure for Chuck in particular?

EbonyDad - don't feel bad, I've got some DVR backlog going on myself.

May 04 2010 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Seems strange that House also was low. Maybe people are getting into Spring activities, plus the idea that Big Bang had been on reruns for the past couple of weeks. You can tell when the networks are thinking of getting rid of shows. They no longer promote or advise when and where they'll be on the schedule. I DVR, which is probably what a large part of the population does anymore. Are they counting the DVR'd episodes?

May 04 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EbonyDad

I feel guilty. I have 2 Chucks that I need to watch on the DVR (including the one from last night).

I wish they would have let the 13th episode of Chuck be the last of the season. I already have too many shows I am committed to.

May 04 2010 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AfterwardDeified

Chuck's gotta be the most overrated show of the last decade. It had plenty of chances to find its audience.

May 04 2010 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I think TV seasons go on too long. I gave up on House weeks ago because I just hate watching too much TV and I think with all the choices of entertainment available, it's time to shorten TV seasons--especially with hour long shows--and put them on uninterrupted during regimented seasons (a la 24 and Lost).

May 04 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrian

Not good for Chuck. It was implied that last night's episode's ratings were going to seal the deal for Chuck's S4.

May 04 2010 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

Of course, Big Bang fell. It was at a different time and CBS didn't publicize it. If you're doing back to back episodes, why not keep the new episode at it's normally schedule time? Sheesh!

May 04 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Courtney's comment
Chris

I think they were experimenting with the time slot change in case 2 and half men goes away.

May 04 2010 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugh

It's not much of an experiment -- of course you're going to get lower ratings if you unexpectedly change the time of the show, because most of the regular viewers won't know it's on!

Sure enough, I tuned in at 9:30 as usual only to find a repeat, and turned the TV back off. It wasn't until I checked TV Squad the following morning that I found out there had been a new episode at nine! And since TBBT is one of the few shows of which CBS doesn't have full episodes online, I guess I'll never see it at all. Bad CBS, no biscuit.

May 04 2010 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply