August 21, 2014

Fox and CW Shows On the Bubble

by Allison Waldman, posted May 4th 2010 4:03PM
lie_to_me_fox_tim_roth
When considering the future of some shows on Fox and the CW, in the case of the former, there are only a couple of programs on the fence. Fox, overall, has had a strong year highlighted by the success of 'Glee,' which trumps nearly any disappointment execs might have over already cancelled shows like 'Sons of Tucson' or 'Past Life.'

On the other hand, the CW has a few hours teetering on the brink amid some solid, if not spectacular, already renewed shows like 'Vampire Diaries' and 'Supernatural.' To check the threat assessment for the Fox and CW programs on the bubble, read on:

Fox
1. 'Human Target'
The fact that '24' will not be coming back for a ninth year makes it likely that 'Human Target' will. Fox has something good with this show and given how they cultivated 'Fringe' after one season, it's logical that 'Human Target' will get the same opportunity. Bob made a good argument for why it should be back. Then there's this comment from Fox president Kevin Reilly, that this is a show he'd "like to bring back next year." If he feels that way, it's probably going to happen.

2. 'Lie To Me' In the same interview, Reilly told The Hollywood Reporter, "I already see that being a player next fall." That sounds like a major 'yes' vote to me. 'Lie to Me' also has fresh episodes to air between now and the fall, so it could pick up momentum -- and viewers -- before a relaunch in the new season. At the very least, 'Lie to Me' should get a mid-season nod.

CW
1. 'Life Unexpected' Good notices and positive buzz could get a second season renewal for 'Life Unexpected.' Show creator Liz Tigelaar was cautiously optimistic when interviewed by SpoilerTV, saying, "Confident is too strong a word, but I feel positive about it. I don't mean that in competition with anybody else. I know there's a lot of speculation that either we're going to get picked up, or 'One Tree Hill' is, and maybe that's true. I think a lot of shows should get picked up. Ratings-wise, we seem on par, but there are so many factors that go into it."

2. 'One Tree Hill' Around since 2003, this may be the last of 'One Tree Hill,' even though the ratings are on par with CW's other shows. There is a back up possibility for the show; It could go to SOAPNet if the CW were to cancel it.

3. 'Melrose Place'
This has never caught the buzz of the original 'Melrose Place,' even when they brought on members from the original cast, like Heather Locklear. According to SpoilerTV, "don't expect it back." We don't.

Lee Family

i really enjoyed Tim Roth and the rest of the cast on "Lie To Me," the show was witty and very in touch with our society..which the truth seems to escape....we overstate most of the time....the true is hard to filter out......especially in politics and in our everyday lives....so Kudos to the cast...I will miss their talents. Hope you can find another show for them.............a fan

May 17 2011 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edledale

human target -lie to me -chicago code three of the the best shows i do not get it & you keep the lousy ones you are losing a lot og followers you should rethink your process of elimanation by voting what not to cancel what to keep like american idol. fod for thought

ed

May 17 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edledale

human target- lie to me -& chicago code were winners big mistake to cancel the good ones for the bad ones

May 17 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marianne

Glad to hear Lie to Me & Human Target were saved. Tim Roth is jusr great fun to watch, I love him, and if it wasn't for the long hiatus it would be a ratings hit. Human Target is fun, a joy ride every week, with some great characters. Kudos Fox! Now as for Flashforward, come-on NBC, do yourself a favor and pick it up! With your ratings so low, you have nothing to lose! It could be your "Lost".

May 21 2010 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james russell

"LIE TO ME" AND "HUMAN TARGET" are great shows along with BONES. The biggest problems are when they take the shows off the air for the football season, basketball play offs and any other sports event. It break up viewership. CW Network is a bunch of cow droppings pitched by juvenile writers and producers.

May 05 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mudassir

OK, why the hell am I getting TV squad in my Cinematical feed?

May 05 2010 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dianne

Yeah, I love Human Target

May 05 2010 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

CW and Fox do not have a great selection of original shows. If they don't keep Human Target, I seriously doubt that I'll be watchging either channel next season.

May 04 2010 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

Damn it Glee why was that show ever made??

May 04 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgar

I don't care what anyone says, Melrose Place is awesome! By far the best looking female cast on all of TV and I'm totally sucked into the story line!!!! LOVE IT!

May 04 2010 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply