September 2, 2014

Jimmy Fallon to Host 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards

by Andrew Scott, posted May 4th 2010 12:14PM
Jimmy FallonIt's official: Late-night star Jimmy Fallon will host the 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards, airing Aug. 29, the Live Feed has confirmed.

"Jimmy was the natural choice as one of the most promising and likable young entertainers who will now have the chance to display his many talents on television's biggest night," said Paul Telegdy, executive vice president of alternative programming at NBC. "His proven skills as a comedian and host -- as well as his openness to new ideas -- will fully engage audiences and ultimately deliver a lively Emmy telecast."

In the meantime, Fallon will have big shoes to fill, as last year's host, Neil Patrick Harris, earned rave reviews for his performance and helped the ceremony earn its highest ratings since 2006.
Last week, NBC also announced that Ricky Gervais will return as host of the Golden Globe Awards.

Fallon, of course, is no stranger to job, having previously hosted the MTV Movie Awards and MTV Music Video Awards. 'Late Night With Jimmy Fallon' currently airs weeknights on NBC.

john

Jimmy Fallon is as talentless and boring as all hell....so they give him the Emmy hosting job?
Whoever came up with that idea must be a crack addict! but then again Hollywood is nothing but garbage now a days anyway!

May 05 2010 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manuel Reis

How about... Conan O' Brien? :P (Maybe next year...)

May 04 2010 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Why don't they just make Neil Patrick Harris the permanent host?

May 04 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EbonyDad

I don't wanna call it a cop out, but that's what it is. I like Fallon, I watch Late Night w/JF every once in awhile. Yet his monologues are dreadful, and isn't what hosting an award show is? A 3-4 hour monologue. If the Emmys were nothing but skits, I think he would have it down pat.

Maybe after this fiasco, they will be willing to get someone more fitting.

May 04 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to EbonyDad's comment
RobynM

I'd tend to agree. While I like him, his monologues have a tentative, uncertain, "Gee, I'm not really sure I know what I'm doing" sort of air to them. Personally, I think the host of a major awards show needs to come from a more confident position than Jimmy usually does.

May 04 2010 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctunightfall

My advice to Mr. Fallon: Keep the monologue short and do parodies of the nominees.

Late, 6-bee, 7th Floor West, and The Real Housewives of Late Nite are all very good.

May 04 2010 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ColinInLA

Since the award show is to air on NBC, this decision comes as no surprise. . despite the fact that Fallon is far from the best possible choice. Way to go NBC.

May 04 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply