October 20, 2014

Craig Kilborn Is Returning To Television

by Bob Sassone, posted May 5th 2010 2:40PM
KilbornCraig Kilborn, who surprised everyone when he quit his CBS talk show in 2004, is coming back to television with ... a talk show! The New York Times describes the show as a mix of talk show and a "non-political 'Daily Show'." Longtime 'Daily Show' fans will remember that Kilborn was the first host of the Comedy Central show, before Jon Stewart came on and made it more political.

The new show will be on FOX but it won't be a late night show on the network. Instead, it will be syndicated to local FOX stations. We might even see a preview of the show this summer.

I don't know how many people loved Craig Kilborn's show on CBS, but I was one of them. He was certainly an acquired taste: lots of sarcastic humor, very little fawning over celebrities and he was always looking for ways to harm his staffers. But he gave a different take on a late-night talk show. He wasn't a Letterman type -- and he certainly wasn't a Leno type, either. He was his own thing, and you either liked it or it really turned you off.

But how could you hate segments like "5 Questions," something he started on 'The Daily Show'? Or his nightly "In The News" roundup? Or when he would suddenly look to the camera on his right and say, "All I want to do is dance, dance, dance" on Friday nights? Or the "it sucks" character created by show writer Alec Sulkin, now producing 'Family Guy'? It was showbizzy, but also had the feel of an indie production.

Kilborn hasn't been around much the past five or six years, except for some appearances in movies like 'Old School' and 'The Shaggy Dog.' He did pop up last week in the A&E documentary of the late night wars, 'The Battle For Late Night,' looking older and maybe a little more introspective. It's going to be good to have him in the talk show mix again.

Are you looking forward to Craig Kilborn's new show?

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

Tina Hillstrom

KISS THIS (tm) My Buddy Craig Kilborn is born Again coming back to FoxTV. Rated 5 KISSES (r)
He can rip the shirt or skirt off you with his wit of the tongue and slides back into his Private Idaho Potato Head . A true Minnesotan I might add. Congrats Craig looking forward and Never Through You! Tina O

May 06 2010 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the truth

LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT! LUV IT!

May 06 2010 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biff2345

Will he be doing this?

May 06 2010 at 5:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally

No politics? I vividly remember when George Bush was nominated as the Republican candidate for president that Kilborn showed a photo of Bush with the words "Sniper Wanted" underneath. No repercussions for Kilborn, as I redcall, for that threat. Right, he isn't into politics. Just one more smarmy liberal.

May 06 2010 at 4:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karine

I am sooooooo glad he will be back :) I used to love his late night stints .. Those that don't remember him where probably born a couple years ago. To those that tear him down on here - it's probably you which work for Burger King.. Hope you wear that little phoney crown and plastic mask LOL Its tough to tolerate some of these morons here. Craif does have a lot going for himself - He is intelligent and has a great sense of humor ... Welcome back Craig - I look forward to your new show ...

May 06 2010 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DEE

I liked Kilborn when he was on. How refreshing it would be to have a witty talk show host who DOESN'T DO POLITICS!!! God, I am so sick of that!!! Do funny, do clever, do sarcastic, do whatever, but PLEASE no politics. I'm into politics and watch both MSNBC and Fox to get the full spectrum, but I hate when talk show hosts get into it. I watch them for ENTERTAINMENT.

May 06 2010 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Me

Craig who?

May 06 2010 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

He did promise to do a show from Minnesota if the Timberwolves won the NBA championship. Maybe one day...

May 06 2010 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Hey just what we need. Another no talent talk show host that noone watches. What a clever idea. I wonder how they tore him away from his grille position at Burger King? Makes you wonder.

May 05 2010 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jane e howard

i am so happy, every once in a while i would google his name just to see if i could find out where he went. It seemed as if he just left one night with no warning. I didn't even know he had gone for good until it was too late. the asshole smugness did work.

May 05 2010 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply