September 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The Ultimate Sacrifice on 'Lost' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted May 5th 2010 2:30AM
The Ultimate Sacrifice on 'Lost'The series 'Lost' (Tue., 9PM ET on ABC) is winding down and is approaching its finale.

So now, it's life-and-death time.

[Possible spoilers ahead]

On the show, Sayid (Naveen Andrews) makes the ultimate sacrifice to save his friends. But unfortunately, he can't save everyone. Some longtime cast members will live -- and some will die.

Sayid rushes away with a bomb while his friends are trapped on a submarine. He goes to meet his fate in the explosion, but manages to save the rest of the group. Or maybe not. Sun and Jin (Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim) are trapped on the sinking sub, and the waters are flooding around them. Sun tells Jin to leave. But Jin has just recently been reunited with his wife, and has promised to never abandon her.

"I will never leave you again," Jin says to his wife, as the waters rise around their heads. Will Jin be as good as his word?

1iPete

Okay, I am going to go against the stream. First, I agree the autoplay embedded video sucks. It's annoying on many sites and sucks here too.

But, the spoiler stuff is silly. Lost is one of the most discussed shows on this TV blog and anything posted after the show has aired should be fair game. If you know the show has been aired and you haven't seen it, why are you perusing a TV News/Blog/Discussion site anyway? You are playing with fire and perhaps deserved to be burned.

May 05 2010 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to 1iPete's comment
Dave

No. I am "perusing" this blog one last time.

Pete, I used to "peruse" this blog until today because they didn't post spoilers - for the most part - in the post titles nor "above the fold".

Then this morning they took a show on the cusp of ending a 6 season story arc and decided to, as Kelly (who are you?) - so properly put it - see what is considered a spoiler after some kind of internal discussion.

Consistancy should count for something. This was a blatant and callous display of readership disrespect. (And anyone capable of "perusing" online blogs - "news" or not - should understand the concept of readership disrespect. Can you Pete?)

I read a certain LOST spoiler blog (Dark UFO) and have very carefully avoided most everything for the last 2 weeks there. At least they have rules they abide by consistanly and, well, hide spoilers behind a "Are you sure" button.

Thanks to that site I know ONE thing about the upcoming final episodes. I could know more. They posted quite a bit about an authentic final episode script. And - like this blog also did 2/3 days ago - they hid it such that I... CHOSE... to not read it.

This morning I came to a blog (TV Squad) wanting to catch up on various posts. By time I could avert reading anymore I didn't just know a cast member was killed off, I knew much more than that. This evening? I learned about another who was killed off.

That's not "reviewing". And that's certainly not consistancy.

I can find out about TV Shows elsewhere. Like others have said Pete, I'm gone. And if you can't appreciate where our outrage is coming from, I feel bad for you.

One last parting thought for you - read this Kelly Woo's comment. Try to find out who she is. (Right now the link attached to her name yields a 404 error.) She speaks like she's now part of managing this blog. She speaks like she's listening to the negative feedback in this post.

Now really read her words. Listen to them. Look for anything that speaks to any kind of, well, CONSIDERATION of the readers. Readers who just happened to have come here today. Or since they announce a merger with another site or blog or news outlet or whatever. Or a connection to readers who have come here for years. Hear any connection of the sort?

[Chirp. Chirp.]

I thought not. There was no thoughts like that. There was no requests to the readers here about what's a spoiler or not. There wasn't even an apologetic attitude.

May 05 2010 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
den

I agree with DaveD. TV Squad never posted spoilers on purpose. The purpose of this post was to just spoil everyone. If you wanted to discuss the events of the particular episode just go to the recap post, there is no use to this post.
The autoplay thing is extremely annoying too. Worst of all is the annoying unrelated links between comments and post. One of the main reasons I visit this site is the blog/comments, yet with this change TVSquad/AOL have managed to ruin a good thing. Don't fix what's broke just for $. I'll stick around to see if things improve but if it doesn't then you've lost another one.

May 06 2010 at 6:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdaby3

and just HOW do you turn off the auto-play!?!?!

May 05 2010 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdaby3

I agree with all of the comments and would like to add one more.
I used to come here looking for a recap of sorts--and today, all I got was a crappy little paragraph. And it's for all of the shows, not just the Lost story. Headline, one or two sentences and that's it. Poor.

I guess I'm done, too.

May 05 2010 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

Ok, sorry TV Squad, we had a good run, but after this I'm giving up. Why did you have to change from something that was not broken but in fact a very fine site.
And a really annoying autoplay to make it worse...
I sure hope everyone who dislikes the new and un-improved site makes a comment

May 05 2010 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly Woo

Hey guys -- we've read all your feedback and are making improvements even as I type this.

We don't want to spoil people if we don't have to, but we're also a news site. We've had many, long discussions about this. Is "Kris Allen Wins 'American Idol'" news or a spoiler? I think it's up for debate.

In any case, we're tweaking things, we're working out kinks, we're fixing some technical issues like the RSS feeds. So, bear with us. I hope you'll be patient during this transition phase.

May 05 2010 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kelly Woo's comment
ac

American Idol has no plot and is simply like a contest or awards show. Its not a spoiler to announce the winner. The Hurt Locker winning best picture isn't a spoiler and Kris Allen winning is the same thing as that.

Lost has a plot and is a continuing story. Jin and Sun's death wasn't news, it was a plot turn. When Bruce Willis was dead at the end of the 6th Sense did you consider that news and put up a video of it after it came out? No, and Lost is the same. The deaths are something to discuss in the recaps as part of the plot. They aren't headlines. There is a difference between American Idol and LOST, V, 24, etc. American Idol wants to be news. The other shows are trying to tell a story.

May 05 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I see Kelly. So....

(1) You decided to "experiment" in a production environment?

(2) You decided to best way to define that sincerely fine line of what is a "spoiler" versus "news" is to take a fiction show who is now 4 episodes away from their finale after 6 seasons and simply post it - without a single heads-up word?

(3) You decided to then insert an auto-play video that gives out more spoilers?

(4) All this after a few years of TV Squad building up their fan base and learning what is and what isn't?

(5) Comparing saying something in the lead paragraph and title about LOST with somehow saying who won American Idol? I mean really, you all are THAT dense? You don't grasp ANY difference?

FAIL. BIG TIME FAIL.

That wasn't strike one. That was worthy of two - and maybe three strikes. (God I hope you catch what I'm saying. And yes, right now I'm not sure your head can wrap itself around it.)

You weren't "working out kinks". You did a grossly stupid and idiotic thing that absolutely requires an apology to every single person who reads TV Squad. Not sone equally LAME update that says "hey reader, a spoiler is coming right here so scroll down and avert your eyes".

An apology. An honest one. A sincere one. One that might make the regular readers of this blog stick around because we think you actually have a clue.

May 05 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Relly

I've been paging through the website for various stories and just literally defended one of the posts because I felt it wasn't "spoilerlish" after a reader said it was, but this post makes me feel like an idiot for even doing that.

This post name was a major spoiler and the addition of the picture is beyond excusable.

Seriously, what was the point of this post? You guys starting a new section called Instant Lost Spoilers to go with Instant Dharma?

C'mon TV Squad. You normally don't do things like this...

May 05 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Concur with commenters above. I dislike the auto-play media and I won;t be around much longer if it continues. The old TV Squad layout and format was much better than this mess.

May 05 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Wow are these TV Replays ANNOYING on my RSS feed. And holy spoilers. Until you guys come up with a way to filter out these posts from RSS I'm taking TV Squad off of my reading list.

May 05 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dash

Ok, sorry TV Squad, we had a good run, but after this I'm giving up. A freakish post ABOUT A MAJOR SPOILER ON LOST, and NOT A SINGLE SPOILER ALERT?!? Dont't you know people have DVRs? Don't you know the first thing about being a good internet blog???

And a really annoying autoplay to make it worse...

If this is what you meant by a "new tv squad", then I'm not coming back.

May 05 2010 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Cohen

Totally agree with the other commenters:
1) HUGE spoiler with no alert--thanks f**kwads!
2) Auto-playing video/media: this has been a no-no since the mid-90's! Why are you doing this?
2a) Continuing video and playing unrelated content--WTF? Why are you showing American Idol footage?
3) New design pushing down comments: I hate this new layout pushing down the comments (one of the best features of this site) down below unrelated links.

I'm ready to dump this site. Really don't like what's happening.

May 05 2010 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mark Cohen's comment
Dave

I'd comment like this too.

This morning I simply saw three things:

(1) TV Squad did their promised makeover.

(2) Started reading the beginning of a spoiler I won't view until about 45 minutes from now.

(3) I closed the tab and then began to wonder if I need to no longer stop here.

This evening? More bad.

(1) Clicked on the post to read if I was the only one not just disappointed but UPSET with the shitty way of changing the spoiler policy.

(2) Suddenly had to figure out how to turn off auto-video - hint: I blocked it.

(3) Too bad I didn't hit the refresh button quick enough. Looks like a LOST spoiler from either this episode or the next is there.

My. God.

Very piss-poor. Mark, thanks for say *everything* I intended.

Yes, they updated this post. Put some verbage about "don't read any further" after the first paragraph. And yeah - IT LOOKS LIKE THEY STILL KEPT THE SPOILERS ON THE LEAD PAGE.

Thank you VERY much TV Squad for this. I knew some cosmetic changes were coming. Had no clue they were idiotic things like this.

A clue - get an idea about who reads your posts before doing shitass stuff like this. I mean, what good is a great cosmetic redesign when the result is your content totally sucks wind?

May 05 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply