April 18, 2014

Welcome To the New TV Squad!

by Joel Keller, posted May 5th 2010 1:00AM
TV Squad logoAbout a month ago, we told you that a new era was coming for TV Squad. Well, it came a few days later than we anticipated, but, as you can see, that era has started, and I'm really excited to let you know about the changes to the site.

As we said in March, the two AOL TV blogs, TV Squad and Inside TV, have joined forces to create a bigger, better TV Squad. Now, we'll be covering much more of the world of TV than we have before, whether it's the finale of 'Lost' or yet another wedding show on the Style network.

With the merger of the two sites comes a redesign. Come with me after the jump to read about the changes, both cosmetic and under the hood.

TV Squad redesign

As you can see, the biggest cosmetic change to TV Squad is a cleaner look. We've made the home page easier to view and navigate, with a larger area for posts and more prominent links for viewing comments and sharing posts with friends.

One of the best parts about the new layout is that larger space; it will allow us to display much larger photos and videos, giving the site a bolder, more colorful look than it's ever had before.

TV Squad Hot TopicsIn addition, we've put a "Hot Topics" box on the right side of the site. Here, you'll be able to find quick links to the major categories of posts that fans of both sites have come to rely on.

From here, you'll be able to link directly to TV Squad's episode recaps, The Show Girl with Maggie Furlong, Spoilers Anonymous and other spoiler posts, AOL TV's TV Replay videos, the Where Are They Now? series, and more.

TV Squad comments
Commenting is the same as it's always been: Add your pithy remarks, along with your name, e-mail, and your password, if you've been issued one. If you don't have a password, your comment won't appear until you get an e-mail asking you to confirm it.

TV Squad FeedbackIf you have any questions, corrections, or tips for us, feel free to click the "Send Us Feedback" link in the top right corner of the site.

Where you'll really see the improvements in TV Squad, however, will be in the united team of TV Squad and Inside TV writers.

For fans of the Squad, don't worry; the episode recaps and reviews you've come to depend on from us are still here, along with the often outspoken opinions of the writers that have kept you coming back all these years. In addition, though, you'll be seeing reviews and opinion columns by the Inside TV staff, as well, giving you a broader perspective to what's going on in the world of the tube.

For fans of Inside TV, the features of that site that you've become accustomed to have found a home here at TV Squad. In addition to what I mentioned above, you'll be able to find the DVR Divas podcast, Outside the Box, Instant Dharma, and other ITV features at the same time you were finding them on the old site. And the blanket news coverage ITV was known for can be found right here, every single day.

There's lots of other exciting new things we have in the works for the site, including new columns and podcasts/vidcasts; but for now, we want to make the new TV Squad as good a reading experience as we can. So if you have any feedback about the site, from the content to the features to the navigation, feel free to use that feedback link at the top of the screen, the comments below, or send us a note using the link below:

Send us feedback

wulfn1

New issue that is really bugging me.
I subscribe to the rss feed, and even when I mark items as read, they are showing up three and four times again in the feed. If I don't want to read the article, and click "read" to get it off the feed, it should stay off. All these new writers articles are the ones showing up. All the TVS regulars articles are only showing up once, and then disappearing once read. Its getting more and more difficult to slog through all this mess,and the search is STILL not working. I am disappointed that this site is so set on ticcing off the loyal readers in favor of the AOL lamers who type inane responses to insipid articles that are being flooded through the rss feed in place of the usual format. I am getting ready to follow the masses and unsubscribe if for no other reason than to clean up my feed list. I guess this is the goal of the new merger, rid themselves of loyal readers in favor of those who pay for the webservice via their aol accounts.

May 17 2010 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to wulfn1's comment
Joel Keller

Related posts is now on the right rail.

I'll forward the RSS issue to the designers.

May 21 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Thanks for that Joel. Still having issues with the email links too. And the search is still inactive. Again it would be pleasant to have numbered comment posts, or at the very least a link for newest comments that included replies.

May 22 2010 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

Ok Joel I found another useful thing that what taken away with the refresh. Please bring back the "Related Posts" links at the end of a post.

I just finished watching this & last week's Fringe eps & wanted to read the reviews. I normally find the most recent & then look for the Related Posts part to get to the previous ones. It's no longer there.

I understand that you're not going to get rid of the Link Squad stuff because it's in a position that we HAVE to see it in order to get to the comments, but please re-implement this above (preferably) or below it.

May 14 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nissa

Okay, consider my snarky comment retracted.

May 14 2010 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nissa

This is getting ridiculous. A topic where people criticize this blog was removed from the "most commented on" section for very obvious reasons.

Subtle.

May 13 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nissa's comment
Joel Keller

N, your note prompted me to look into this; apparently the "most commented" list only lists posts from the last week. And since this post is now over a week old, it's dropped off the list. No conspiracy here, just a way to keep the "most commented" list fresh.

May 13 2010 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

Hey Joel I don't know if you're still checking this, but 1 thing I see you got rid of that was a help is the number of comments in a post. I know that you have it on the main page before you actually click to the post's page, but it helps having the number at the bottom of the post as well so when I bookmark the page on my phone I know how many comments to actually look forward to.

Does that make sense?

May 12 2010 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to xnifex's comment
Joel Keller

Yes it does make sense, and it's a feature that I'm starting to miss as well. I can ask if it can be reinstated. Not sure if it will, but who knows? It might be pretty easy to bring back.

May 12 2010 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

The new site is less than adequate. The glaring white is almost painful, especially at 6am. The pages have gone from organized tidy little newstype style columns, to an almost adhd style jumble of words and advertisements.
The comments section is difficult to follow and without numbering , one must slog through the whole thread often to see if anyone's responded to another's comment. The links sent to email when someone has responded to a comment made , go to the front page of TVSQUAD instead of to the article , or even to the response as they used to.
In fact the only good thing I've seen with this new setup, is the "vote/flag" buttons. The new user interface for that feature , is spread out far enough you don't have to worry you're hitting the wrong button anymore, and they are easily located with their bright red/green/black colors.
Can someone please PLEASE rethink this awful format? I'd be surprised if you hadn't noticed how few actual comments you are receiving to so many of your articles. especially compared to how many comments are showing up in this particular thread. From what I've read, it seems there are a large number of us dissatisfied with the whole new thing.

May 11 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pix

OK, this is just terrible... I mean the old site was shit, but the new one? Comments are bad, some fonts are too big, some too small, the overall design is very awkward, looks like it looked good in photoshop but the final version sucks...
But all that aside, WHERE THE FRELL are categories and tags for shows? And WTF is with the search?

May 08 2010 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Yes, it seems like "TV Squad" has died. Take a look at the comments to the "Network shows on the bubble" post. Long rambling nonsense, bland tastes (yes, "Cold Case" is a magnificent series! In 1975, maybe), ALL CAPS messages...the audience is now AOL members.

I agree with everything written here, where the former readers of TV Squad have been commenting. The white is hurting my eyes as we speak.

But it seems like the AOL Overlords have finally taken the site and remade it in their image, for their audience, and removed almost every shred of what made it "TV Squad" to begin with. Joel's responses have been mostly "that's the way we have to do things now".

For me, the comments after a post were part of what made this site valuable. Now that a) former TV Squad readers have been driven off in droves, and b) the unwashed, dreck-loving masses have taken over, there won't be any more thoughtful comments to read. Goodbye, TV Squad. Sorry you committed suicide.

May 08 2010 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Nissa

I never thought I'd say it but I'm going as well. Out of all of my regular tv blogs like Alan Sepinwall's, Mo Ryan's, CliqueClack etc. I always thought Tvsquad was the most mediocre (especially since they stopped covering 50% of their shows and refused to tell their readers what was happening for weeks on end) but I still read the articles because there are some nice critics here who write their reviews in an enjoyable, almost insightful way.

I'm sorry, but my decision was made when I skimmed the comment section of "network shows on the bubble". I am absolutely appalled, and frankly, I didn't even know such idiocy existed outside of the Yahoo Answers or Youtube comment sections. One glance at the most commented on articles section sealed the deal: Charlie Sheen and two reality shows.

Having my reality-feed ripped from me was bad enough but this just takes the cake. So long.

May 10 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

I find it difficult to locate recaps of my favourite shows. On the old website o the left there wused to be a section - All Drama Shows, All Sci-fi Shows, All Comedy Shows, etc. It is not there anymore.

Now at the top you click on TV Squad and the "Recaps" but you now have to scroll through all of the recaps in order to get to the show you want.

May 08 2010 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Marc's comment
Joel Keller

To Marc and the others who miss the show category links: We hear you, and we're working on a solution that, while it's not exactly the same as the old set of show category links, should bring back much of the functionality you're looking for. Stay tuned.

May 09 2010 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

I guess I can get used to it, but I don't like that all of the links are missing.

May 07 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply