November 28, 2014

Is Ellen Pompeo Looking to Leave 'Grey's Anatomy'?

by Laura Prudom, posted May 6th 2010 3:40PM
Ellen Pompeo - ABCThe surgeons of Seattle Grace hospital need some medical attention, as doctors are dropping like flies on the ABC drama. Following Katherine Heigl's abrupt (if not unexpected) departure from 'Grey's Anatomy' earlier this season, Extra is now suggesting that the show's titular character, Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo), might be considering hanging up her stethoscope too.

"I think that I've told all the stories that I could tell as Meredith Grey," Pompeo admitted to Extra. "I think the world has had a lot of Meredith Grey ... I don't know how much more Meredith Grey the world wants!"

Still, no need to pronounce the show DOA yet, 'Anatomy' fans: Pompeo did clarify that she's not about to split in the middle of her contract. (I know, we're so misleading!)

"I haven't said that I'm moving on," she insisted. "I said that when my contract is up after season 8, I would probably not renew [it]." For those keeping score, 'Grey's Anatomy' is currently wrapping up its sixth season, which gives us at least two more years of soapy Seattle Grace goodness before Pompeo is proposing her exit.

In addition to smooching with McDreamy on-screen and bonding with her 9-month-old daughter, Stella, Pompeo is also taking her fictional Hippocratic oath seriously by promoting the American Cancer Society's "Choose You" Movement, which encourages women to put their health first.

"Women don't take care of themselves because they take care of everybody else," Pompeo told Extra. "But how good are you if you're not healthy and well?"

A lot of fans believe that 'Anatomy' has already "jumped the shark." Do you think the show should end after season 8, or will you keep watching forever? Sound off below!

amber213

I also love this show! Have been watching from beginning and I love the fact that you never know what will happen!! Not the same old....... Love the surgery, sex, different charactors. I do miss Burke, Izzie & George though.

September 24 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I think they ought to hang it up. The main reason I used to watch it is because of Derek and Meredith. There is nothing more to see here. Now, it's just getting out of hand. All these new faces. This will become nothing more than as the world turns 20 or 30 years of soap. Time to hang it up. But, I know it won't happen.

September 24 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
penny

I love the show, my huband is a Dr. and my son is, too, my daughter a PhD psychologist. There are never ending stories, many tragic, many happy endings, all interesting. Their lives outside of the hospital, are great stories,too. The travel, mountain climing, conventions, fund raising for hospitals, good causes, they take you out of the hospital but are connected to the characyters and their work.

September 24 2010 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marie D'Ambroso

I do not watch T.V. that much anymore, but the only shows I enjoy are Greys and Private Practice. I watch all the re-runs, but its time to expand on the re-runs also. I think they should bring Izzie back and George and Burke. I absolutely adore Meredith and Derick. To me, shows like Lost are lost! Enough with the legal shows. I love Greys!

May 21 2010 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
courtney

Oh My Gosh! What happened to the show? I hate it now. They really know how to spoil a good thing don't they?FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT.FIX IT. FIX IT.FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT. FIX IT.I for one will be so sad if they don't,because I can't continue to watch it with that shity writing. I hate the energy now.

May 07 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancy

PLEASE CHANGE IT.GET BURKE BACK,IZZY BACK,AND EVEN GEORGE. YES GEORGE! HIS CHARACTER HAD A NECESSARY ENERGY.UNLIKE THE OTHER GREEDY,ANGRY ONES. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WRITING????????THEY ARE WAYYYYYYYY OFF TRACK.WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THEM. NEXT THING THEY WILL BE DOING IS ROBBING EACH OTHER AND PUTTING POISON IN EACH OTHERS FOOD.IT HAS CERTAINLY TURNED TOOOOOOO MEAN AND DRAMATIC AND YOU ARE RIGHT, TOOOOOO STRESSFUL.

May 07 2010 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nancy's comment
mary

Agree-agree-agree change it

May 07 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C Andrews

May 7 2010

Season 1 , 2 , & 3 SUPBERB ! ! !

After that ...

They took PURE ,EXCELLENT QUALITY & stepped on it

It was , Extraordinary
Then , Burke & Addison , left & there went the show ... I looked so forward to viewing , then , No .

It has lacked the LUSTER & BRILLIANCE of the first 3 Seasons

There have been a few good ones , but NOWHERE'S near
the caliber that once was

with the Scandals ... & personal lives ... left the show in ruins

Now , it is pretty much " torture " to endure the hour , that , was , at one point , the Best Show going

Sorry to have witnessed
the downhill slide ...

I guess I still watch with HOPE , maybe it might get really good again

If only Burke & Addison would come back

That could Bring It Back to Life ...

What happened ?
WHAT HAPPENED ?
I know , nothing lasts forever
C'est la vie

May 07 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to C Andrews's comment
Linda

Yes, yes, I agree.Down hill all the way and every week it got worse instead of better.Don't like the ANGRY TURN OF EVENTS AROUND EVERY CORNER ON EVERY SHOW .ANGRY-ANGRY-ANGRY-MEAN-MEAN-MEAN- DON'T LIKE IT. DO BETTER WRITING.

May 07 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whitney

Absolutely agree with all of you.Used to "LOVE THE SHOW "and now I can't stand it.We(all of my friends and I ) used to watch every week and then gab about it.It was GREAT,better than Sex And The City, but not any more.We don't watch and we don't talk about it. It's trash.Well take out the trash! Clean it up.Fix it. YOU CAN FIX IT.YOU CAN!!!!! I agree too much stupid stress.No one likes each other any more. Boy the writers really ruined everything,didn't they. Well there is a solution.Fix it or fire the writers...JUST DO IT

May 07 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lrowand

I think they should bring Burke back, that would really spice up the show. I don't like anyone that they've matched Sloan up with (especially Teddy). I don't like Christina with Owen, I did at first, now they are boring. Bring back Burke, Bring back Burke, Bring back Burke.

May 07 2010 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lrowand's comment
Jill

You are so so so right.The writers went way off track. Too stressful and angry. It's a different show. My girlfriends and sisters and I used to all watch like an obsession.Now none of us watch I don't think they should get pregnant.That would horribly change the story.However to occasionally step out of the hospital and NOT INTO THEIR APARTMENTS but into the community where they feel awkward. CHANGE Alex to sharing,caring,thoughtful, and HAPPY.They should buy houses.Have dinner parties.TRY to cook,and show how they awkwardly fit into society. The chief should not have left because of ALCOHOLISM. He should have left because he changed his priorities and wanted to experience life with his wife before he got too old, and he occasionally drops buy upon Derick's request.That way he would still be highly respected like the previous chief of staff should be.The writers screwed that up. Maybe they do need new writers. Agree too much stress-drama.

May 07 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samie

Far too many shows are leaving the regular TV stations. Yes, after awhile a new story line might get cumbersome to watch but most times they can get back to where the viewer looks forward to the upcoming week. Grey's is a good show. Maybe Ellens' character along with Callie and Christina could all get pregnant at the same time. That would be interesting to watch and oh by the way Callies baby would be Dr. McSexey's....Now that would be something to watch...

May 07 2010 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nan48106

I THINK THEY SHOULD CONTINUE THE SHOW. THEY ARE CANCELLING FAR TOO MANY GOOD SHOWS. THERE SOON WON'T BE ANYTHING GOOD TO WATCH ON TV. THYE CANCELED DIRTY, SEXY, MONEY, EASTWICK JUST TO MENTION 2 GOOD SHOWS. DON'T DO IT. AND HOW ABOUT BRINGING THE OTHERS BACK.

May 07 2010 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply