April 17, 2014

Jane After Dark: What Should Jane Watch Next?

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 9th 2010 10:01AM
Jane After Dark: Gilmore GirlsOne of my fun adventures here on TV Squad is writing Jane After Dark, a regular feature that explores all the great TV shows I've missed along the way. Even for TV writers, it's tough to watch everything when it originally airs, but thank goodness there are DVDs and SlashControl for the ones we miss.

Over the past couple of years, I've watched some awesome shows, including 'The Wire,' (I'm not gonna lie - it took me most of one winter to get through it), 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' (big fan), 'Angel' (vampires rule), 'Firefly' (developed a major crush on Nathan Fillion), 'Sons of Anarchy' (likewise on Katey Sagal), and 'The Prisoner' (I even sort of get it).

Most recently, I've been watching 'Supernatural,' and if I can get caught up by next week's finale, the powers that be have given me the go-ahead to review the finale. Woot!!!

So I'm once again looking for my next Jane After Dark viewing extravaganza, and of course, I'm turning to you, dear readers. What should I watch?

Below is a list of shows I'm considering. Should I watch Detective Vic Mackey break the rules and work over the bad guys? Perhaps I need to spend some time with Lorelai and Rory as they figure out what life's about. Or maybe it's about time I watched Fox Mulder and Dana Scully investigate the strange, the mysterious, and the conspiratorial forces of the world.

Please vote in the poll below, and if your show isn't there, tell me about it in the comments. I look forward with gleeful anticipation to your suggestions.

Jane After Dark: What should Jane watch next?
The Shield44 (5.5%)
The X-Files52 (6.5%)
Gilmore Girls200 (24.9%)
Battlestar Galactica127 (15.8%)
Veronica Mars165 (20.5%)
Nip/Tuck11 (1.4%)
Charmed21 (2.6%)
The West Wing96 (11.9%)
Alias63 (7.8%)
Carnivale25 (3.1%)

greatone

You should watch Friday Nights Lights if you haven't seen it before. The first 2 season is available on Netflix instant streaming. It is a great show. Once I start watching season 1 I became hooked. I watch the first 2 season online in about 2 weeks. I usually stayed up until 1 in the morning watching it. It took me longer to watch season 3 because it wasn't available online.

May 11 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to greatone's comment
Teresa

Oh yeah, FNL is a great suggestion!

May 14 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Johnson

I voted for The X-Files, but how about Legend of the Seeker? Anyone else a fan?

May 10 2010 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

I chose The Gilmore Girls because it is a more light-hearted change from both Supernatural and The Wire. My second choice would be Veronica Mars, which is just two seasons long and wouldn't take you long to finish them, which opens up time for more shows! I personally haven't seen season 2 of VM yet so that's on my "to watch soon" list.

I'm currently enjoying a Psych marathon - am on season 2 right now. It's certainly not the most deep show out there but it is highly entertaining to me. I'm going to watch Burn Notice soon, too. And I still need to catch The Wire! I'm actually watching a few different series at this time but they consist of shows that are no longer on TV - Coach, Babylon 5, Golden Girls, M*A*S*H. Those are the shows I pop in when I want to get to bed but am not quite ready for sleep.

I tried watching Battlestar Galactica but I just can't get into it. I found it kind of boring.

May 10 2010 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

It's imperative that you plow through The X-Files. The first five seasons may have been as good a five seasons any series has produced. Unfortunately, X-Files takes a major nosedive, starting with the Fight the Future movie, which I consider the series' "jump the shark" moment. And you'll start wondering if Chris Carter was really the genius behind it all....

The truth is out there....and it's mindblowing.

May 10 2010 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Jane,

There are two must-watch shows on there.

"The Shield" is gripping and conclusive. It's serial storytelling with a beginning, a middle, and an end.

"The West Wing" for non-conservatives is a must watch. If you're middle of the road or liberal in your political leanings, you'll enjoy it. It has at least one episode that ranks among the greatest television episodes I've seen in my life ("Two Cathedrals"). As a TV watcher, you have to watch it just to experience Aaron Sorkin at his apex.

I loved The Gilmore Girls, but I don't think it need be on anyone's bucket list. Same with Battlestar Galactica. I never saw Veronica Mars so I'll stay quiet on that one.

May 10 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I know this isn't in the same tone with your choices, but I would suggest The Middleman. It was a short series. Alot of a fun and some definitely Buffy idea overlap.

May 10 2010 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ari

You have to watch The West Wing! It is the most brilliant show ever! The worst part will be seeing how amazing America can be and then coming back to reality when it's over!

May 10 2010 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Avatar: The Last Airbender. With the grossly unpromising (and vaguely offensive) live action movie coming out soon, you should get a look at the real thing, the animated program that aired (and still runs) on Nickelodeon. The story, the writing, the art, the characters, the themes, are all amazing enough to capture the attention of plenty of intelligent, thoughtful adults. My husband and I find ourselves watching it even when the kids aren't home, and when I was laid up following an injury last fall I watched the whole series over again. Really great television.

May 10 2010 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Jane, I'll tell you, when I saw this post, my initial reaction was "I'm not sure. Who knows." But when I looked at the list of options and saw Veronica Mars, my immediate reaction was "yes, that's the perfect next show for Jane!" So there's my input. It's currently second or third in the list, but knowing your posts and what you've enjoyed, I think it'd be a good next choice.

May 09 2010 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

I'd vote for Battlestar Galactica!

May 09 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply