December 21, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'Huger Than Huge' Season Finale Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted May 9th 2010 10:45PM
The final three teams are in 'The Amazing Race' season finale(S16E12) Aha! That's why 'The Amazing Race' seasons always seem so short! Although they pack in a whirlwind tour of the world, we're talking only twelve episodes and that's all she wrote. Even in these days of shorter television seasons and oddly spaced out seasons, we're not talking an epic run.

Yet, each season in itself is indeed an epic run despite the number of episodes. The countries, the challenges, the relationships of the teams ... definitely epic! Going into the finale, we have cowboys, brothers and models. Judging on Internet reaction, the cowboys (who are also brothers) are the fan favorites, the other two teams not so much. So, who's bringing home the million? Read on.
In previous weeks I've made it no secret that my own favorite team for the win is Jet and Cord, the cowboys. They've been delightful to watch, pleasant, well-mannered and they can tackle just about anything thrown their way. Of the other two teams, I think the young brothers, Dan and Jordan, have run a good race. For me, the drawback with them has been the drama. I don't want to see tears weekly from any team. Man up, bros! Caite can stop her tears, too. Um ... woman up, Caite!

I don't get everything I always want in life and tonight's finale is one of those things to keep me in check with reality. The worst case scenario for me would be a Brent and Caite win. I just don't like them. They did nothing tonight to change my mind. I'm hoping that Caite calling the cab driver a "dumbass" is what sealed their fate.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. This was an unusual leg in that all of the real action happened on United States soil. Well, asphalt, too. At the airport, bound for San Francisco, Dan and Jordan arrived six hours behind the other teams. It didn't matter as there was still a long wait for their flight. Jordan went and did something which really gained them nothing but friction and bad feelings. He set his bag next to Caite and Brent's bags and declared he was second in line for tickets. All that did was tick off the cowboys.

The real strategic move of the brothers came during the flight when they asked if they could go to the first class empty seats. Both of the other teams were sleeping and we ended up seeing "you snooze, you lose" in practical action. No one got upset with them because no one even saw them get off the plane! That one move put them in first place for the rest of the leg.

While ascending the side of the Coit Tower looked pretty impressive, the killer challenge was the one at Lucasfilm and Industrial Light and Magic. My inner geek squealed with delight as armed 'Star Wars' characters escorted the teams into the virtual reality based challenge. That has got to be THE coolest challenge ever on the show! Oh, true, it didn't expand my mind by exposing me to foreign cultures or anything. But, darn it all, that was so cool. I want to play!

The shame of that whole challenge is that neither Cord nor Jet picked up on why Jordan kept standing spinning. Had they picked up on that, they might have had a chance. Instead, it gave Brent and Caite the opportunity to catch up to them. Thankfully, Brent and Caite left their stuff back at Lucasfilm and had to return to retrieve it. After all, you can't pay a dumbass cab driver without money, right?

Dan and Jordan, although not always the strongest team, may very well have the biggest show fan aboard. In what was the second strategic genius move, it turns out Jordan has written down the whole order of the race. Since they more often than not have some sort of memory puzzle of the race as the final task, he was wise to do so. That sealed it for them as they whizzed through the puzzle without hesitation.

With the exception of a probably heavily edited piece about Dan and Jordan having serious woes finding a cab and tried to make it appear that Jet and Cord were closer than they were. So, in the end, it was Dan and Jordan in first place. While they haven't been my favorite team all season, they were far from my least favorite. I feel they've grown a lot and I'm genuinely happy for Jordan as he wanted the win so much.

The cowboys came in second. Sigh. However, the consummate gentlemen they are, they acted graciously and politely. Yeah, they did get a dig in about how they ran the race with their character and integrity intact. But then you have the anti-character and integrity -- Brent and Caite's third place finish with the reaction of Carole and Brandy.

Oh my. Yet another first for the show. Caite annoys me to no end, but the behavior of Brandy was the rudest I've ever seen at the finish line. She did her best to spoil everything. How dare she act like that during the finale? It set off Caite, which wasn't pretty either. Heck, even her partner Carol looked embarrassed.

Now, if 'The Amazing Race' had a reunion bit like 'Survivor' and 'Big Brother' -- that would be great fodder. But it brought down the entire finale when I think back to all of the other teams acting so pleasant, win or lose, over the years. Shame on you, Brandy. Go to your room and don't appear on national television ever again.

Whose behavior was more embarrassing in the finale?
Caite116 (11.2%)
Brent7 (0.7%)
Carol66 (6.4%)
Brandy850 (81.8%)

Jan Crump

If the brothers had won "because" of cutting line, I probably would have stopped watching this show. But they won cause they used their heads and got up into 1st class and were the first ones out of the plane and kept their lead. I loved the Cowboys, but they seem together enough that they will walk away with their heads held high, knowing they ran the whole race clean. Brandy is giving lesbians a bad name and they need to deal with her on that. Caite bit karma by calling the cabdriver a dumbass (hello pot, kettle calling) and karma bit her a&& back!!!! Too funny that they came in last. Started final show out all smiles and with their first mistake they started bickering again. Couldn't happen to a nicer couple (losing I mean!!!) Congrats to the brothers on a job well done.

May 14 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

To those who don't know about the Caite Upton/lesbians rift, it started because of this incident with Caite.

As part of a question and answer portion of the 2007 Miss Teen USA pageant, Upton was asked by the questioner, Friday Night Lights actress Aimee Teegarden: "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"

Upton responded:[1]

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children".

May 10 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

It's funny how everyone didn't want Brent and Caite to win but also hated the lesbians. I was embarassed by the last incident but like someone said it never would have happened had Phil not brought it up.

May 10 2010 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Jet and Cord were hilarious at LucasFilms. "Give me four 90 degree turns" was probably the hardest I've laughed all season, and that includes a team that randomly painted someone's apartment and referring to an airplane as "one of those flying things".

Here was what I tweeted regarding the poor-sportsmanship at the end:

"Carol and Brandy: STOP MAKING ME SIDE WITH THE BRAIN DAMAGED MODELS, YOU CLASSLESS LOSERS!! You've had plenty of time to get over it."

May 10 2010 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Couchtime With Jill

The cutting the line thing was stupid, but it didn't bother me that much. I like the cowboys, but I really wanted Dan and Jordan to win. Jordan was such a huge fan of the show, and they never came in last/got saved by a non-elimination so I was really rooting for them.

I was disgusted with Brandy's behavior at the end, but I thought Caite handled it surprisingly well.

Check out my review of the episode here: http://couchtimewithjill.blogspot.com/

May 10 2010 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sigma982

I also think that Jet & Cord are one of the better teams (and most entertaining) that The Race has had...I was sad to see them lose, but I wasn't P.O.'ed about it.

I would have been more P.O.'ed had the whole cutting in line thing actually influenced the outcome of the race, but fortunately, it didn't. That would have really put more of a damper on Dan & Jordan winning.

Also, I think the fact that Jet & Cord didn't try to exact any real bush-league revenge (although the random yelling of instructions was pretty funny) brought them into an even better light. He could have easily pushed Jordan out of the way in order to get to his spot. But he didn't, and that probably widened the gap between the 2 teams as well...

As for Brandy (AND Carol, too)...they're just sore losers through and through. Their puss-faces and crossed arms and sarcastic clapping was just poor in general. That, in (very small) part, probably spurred some of the producer's/Phil's decision to bring it up at the platform. While I'm not a HUGE fan of Caite (I actually dislike Brent more), she did seem to make a legitimate (and perhaps even sincere) attempt to apologize...however, Brandy had to turn into a 5-year old, which prompted Caite to shut her up with the "I'm on the last platform, and you're not" response..

May 10 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

they probably interview all the teams at the end and this is the first time they got a chance to use it...Mike and Louie got a chance to speak at the end...guess the final 5 teams got to speak their minds

May 10 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I was happy the "Other Brothers", Dan & Jordan won. I started rooting for them at the end of the last episode because they were the underdogs and Jordan is such a super fan (like me!)

I would have been just as happy to see "The Cowboys", Jet & Cord win though; they've been such a pleasure to watch this season.

I think I was with the majority rooting against the "Dating Models" Brent & Caite, and think that karma caught up with them this leg; negativity just doesn't win.

But the person that really lost out was Brandy (& Carol) their immaturity, bitterness and mean-spiritedness was just a big old downer at the end of the episode and I hope they're ashamed of how they came off on national television. (

You can say it was editing all you want, but if you say/do those things amongst other stuff, you still did/said those things...)

May 10 2010 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dianne

Jet and Cord are the real winners, the cowboy brothers are heros.

May 10 2010 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

That Caite is so cute. Her boyfriend is a tool though.

May 10 2010 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply