October 25, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Plimpton Stimulation' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 11th 2010 1:14AM
big bang theory judy greer(S03E21) Judy Greer! I actually had no idea that she was guest-starring on this week's episode as Dr. Elizabeth Plimpton, but I was so happy to see her. From her turn on 'Arrested Development' to her recent guest-stint on 'Modern Family,' she makes every show she's on even funnier. This was no exception. I loved her role as the sex-crazed scientist. My favorite part though, was not the giant orgy she was trying to make happen at the end, but the fact that she innately seemed to know to stay away from Sheldon.

I knew, of course, that Sheldon had no romantic interest in Dr. Plimpton, but when she showed up and was basically the girl version of him, I started to get a little worried. I thought we were going to have an awkward episode filled with her making advances on a clueless Sheldon. Luckily, that never became an issue, as she went after every single guy except for him.

Leonard's line, "she let me," when he was explaining his actions to Penny, was priceless. First off, I'm glad that Penny is having just as difficult a time with the breakup as Leonard is, if not more so. Secondly, "she let me" is honestly the best excuse Leonard could have possibly given. Ordinarily, his ability to move on from Penny so quickly would be suspect, but that reasoning coupled with the fact that he already had a giant nerd-crush on Elizabeth, made it completely believable.

The whole "Raj can only talk to women when drunk" thing is kind of annoying, but I did enjoy how they tied in the cold from the beginning of the episode and had that be the reason he could talk to Elizabeth. Sooner or later though, they're really going to have to drop that pretext entirely.

The other big news of the episode, which was pretty much glossed over, was the fact that Wolowitz and Bernadette broke up. I was really enjoying that relationship, and being able to see Wolowitz as more of a human being and less of a creepy perv. Unfortunately, that's all over -- and we don't even get so much as a breakup scene.

Some of my favorite lines from this week's episode:

Leonard: "Are you planning on kidnapping a woman?"
Sheldon: "Sarcasm?"
Leonard: "Yes, but mixed with a little bit of concern."

"I have a lady friend who will be staying with me for a few days. I want her to feel at home; I also bought scented soaps, pantyhose, Midol, calcium chews, and what is apparently a yogurt specifically designed to regulate the female bowel." - Sheldon

"Dr. Cooper, thank goodness! I completely forgot your address, but then I remembered that I had written it on my hand. Lucky for me, I didn't confuse it with what I had written on my other hand, which were the coordinates for a newly-discovered neutron star, because if I tried to go there, I'd be crushed by hypergravity." - Dr. Plimpton

Leonard: "I think any university would want you -- except, of course, any university that had already had you, because they would have already wanted you, before they, you know, got you."
Sheldon: "From the mind that brought you 'hi-lo.'"

Dr. Plimpton: "What if there's a disaster that destroys all of the USB ports?"
Sheldon: "Then there's really no reason to live, is there?"

Leonard: "Well, it wasn't my fault."
Sheldon: "The implication being that you somehow tripped and fell into her lady parts?"

Leonard: "You still have a cold?"
Raj: "Maybe, but I don't care. That's the good thing about NyQuil -- it's like, 10% booze. I call it the 'nighttime sniffling, sneezing, coughing, so you can talk to girls medicine.'"

"Go away! She wants New Delhi, not Kosher Deli!" - Raj

gman

I love the look on their faces when Sheldon says he will be having a non-related guest for 2 days. Sheldon’s confession that Miss Plimpton will be sleeping in his room was funny especially when he said if he was kidding it would be followed by a bazinga. This show cracks me up. Blockbuster was my first choice in the past and I used them for many years until I started using Netflix but when they raised my price I started using Blockbuster when I got my free mail membership and now I’m all for Blockbuster. I got it free with my new DISH Network employee account but it’s free for anyone. http://bit.ly/jYtohY

September 15 2011 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vishal

REPLY TO MELISSA

With all respect, I am very surprised by your statement " I know less about India's wealth being looted, and so, for argument's sake, I'll leave it. "
India was colonized for 200 years .. very precious diamond called kohinoor in the Buckingham palace belonged to India. In the historical times england had been the enemy of the world... in the modern times English language has taken its place... this has very deep implications...perhaps you would want to understand what I am saying .. india was the second colony of england .. the first colony was Ireland.. this was history ..but after the WW2 the agony didn't end... only in 2005 irish became the official European language.. it took them 50 years and a revolution of the academicians to preserve irish which was coming to an extinction... what took them so long? Because English language had seeped into every church and school of thought... in India millions of people lost their voices simply because they didn't speak English .. if today a sixty year old woman in India goes to a doctor for treatment, doctor gives her a prescription in english which she cant read .. English language is not merely a language but a weapon used by English speaking countries to propogate consumerism and to captivate the psyche of the nation.. this is very sad .. because I have studied this language for 30 years and would like to study it more with academic interest.. but if it were so simple ..you will say what this has got to do with BBT.. unconsciously television educates most young people today .. which is why every sentence they broadcast through series like big bang theory has a massive impact.. well I could simply switch the channel but the problem is that I like it and a millions of others like it ...
as far as poverty is concerned, you have stale data . the reason behind it is that most of the sources of the data are governed by countries who wants to treat India like an underdog
in mumbai the land prices are as high as newyork .. in other cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad.. as high as Amsterdam... there are no beggars in US or Europe or uk also..
You say show has never implied anything..
when sheldon resigns and goes back home .. lenard and others go to his house to convince him and sheldons mother says to raj .."someone from the church will take care of whatever third world demon is inside you "
or when penny says to raj .. "you poor little strange man "
In one episode there is one entomologist, who says "are they outsourcing my work to bangalore? "How many people do you think will ignore this statement? Perhaps they should know there are thousands of americans working since years in bangalore and mumbai.. there are cafes made only for foreigners in these cities...

June 19 2010 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Who knew Judy Greer had such a rockin' bod?

May 13 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vishal

BBT is very intelligent comedy..but the racism in it is highly disappointing... i dont understand why english countries denigrate india.. first, english is not the native language of indians.. but they still speak it very well.. not everyone ofcourse.. but atleast 30 percent indians speak excellent english .. but the point is indians speak english inspite of the fact it is not their native language.. for the information of the viewers of BBT.. sheldon says to Raj that english is ur native ... it is not.. hindi is the native of indians ..hindi is the national language of india.. second thing.. third world was the term coined by indian prime minister during 2nd world war.. india didnt want to be the part of it .. the indian PM coined this term third world... meaning ..countries which wont participate in the 2nd world war.. but english use this term to denigrate indians.... third thing..i dont understand why english countries blow the trumpet of their richness and indian poverty all the time.. have they forgotten that the primary cause of indian poverty is that it was colonized for 200 years ? during these 200 years most of the wealth of india was looted.. i mean it is like you rob your neighbor and then you make fun of him ..oh you are so poor .. think about it ...

May 13 2010 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vishal's comment
Melissa

1) "native language" means the language someone has spoken since birth and, in some cases, the language the speaker speaks best. Not taking into account what Sheldon said, Raj has proven to be quite adept at English. We don't know how well he speaks Hindi, but the indication is that for all intents and purposes, English IS Raj's native language. I don't think the show has ever implied that English is the national language of India.

2) The term "third world" was NOT coined by the Indian prime minister. It was coined by a French man by the name Alfred Sauvy (which he wrote: "Like the third estate, the Third World is nothing, and wants to be something,"). The term was first put to use during the cold war, and, as many have said, has little use after the fall of the Soviet Union. Arguably, the term still is applicable IF you refer back to Suavy's statement. I, however, would not apply that statement to India.

3)From 1950 to 1980, India had socialist policies, and a corresponding poverty level was at about 60%. Since then, after the adoption of free-market principles, the poverty level has dropped to about 42%. However, India still has the highest concentration of people living below the international poverty line of $1.25 A DAY.

4) From my experience, when people talk about India's poverty, it's not to poke fun. I know less about India's wealth being looted, and so, for argument's sake, I'll leave it. However, the "English" that colonized India, would be the British, not the English-speaking world.

You're complaining about generalizations and stereotypes, yet you are stereotyping the "English". If you strictly meant those who live in England, than you're complaining about the wrong "English". The Big Bang Theory is neither made nor based in England.

On the topic of the Plimpton Stimulation, I rather wish Bernadette and Howard's break-up had been on screen.

June 19 2010 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Hughes

Miss Guided was the Better Off Ted of its day. Why don't these good sitcoms work?

May 11 2010 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thor

I didn't like this episode at all...but I am glad that we saw that Penny isn't having an easy time with the break-up...they'll be back together before we know it!

May 11 2010 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Love Judy Greer.
Don't forget Miss Understood from last year.

Wish it could've gotten a chance.

May 11 2010 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Frank's comment
Kona Gallagher

That's right! I really enjoyed Miss Understood. I was sad to see it just die before it even got started.

May 11 2010 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Oops. "Miss Guided" not "Miss Understood"

May 11 2010 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

Great episode. Maybe when the series winds down---in a time far far away---all the men will be happy, with their ladies Penny and Bernadette etc. And I enjoy the Raj can't-talk-to-girls-unless-lite part, I think there are men out there that feel that way; and when applied to these particular men! Plus they don't use that every episode, so all good!

May 11 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

I felt kind of cheated that they spent all that time developing the Bernadette relationship only to heave it over the side in a most undignified manner just to be able to do that one scene about Wolowitz and Raj sharing a threesome.

May 11 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rhomboid's comment
Julio

Maybe Wolowitz lied so he could be in a threesome?

May 11 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smartone

Somehow I thought that a nympho scientist would learn Sheldon is asexual and try to add him as a notch on her belt

May 11 2010 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply