July 29, 2014

Is This the End of 'Heroes'?

by Laura Prudom, posted May 12th 2010 5:20PM
Tim Kring, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Dania Ramirez, Greg Grunberg - Getty 2008Like a phoenix from the ashes, 'Heroes' has continually found ways to rise up for renewal over the past three seasons, despite its steadily plummeting ratings. But word on the street indicates that this year, no amount of super-powers can save the NBC drama from a fate far worse than death: cancellation.

According to Vulture, industry buzz is sounding the death-knell for the embattled series, thanks in large part to NBC's confidence in its pilot pickups; five shows have already been ordered to series ahead of the network's upfront presentation to advertisers next Monday. While it's unlikely that an official announcement will be made before the upfronts (NBC declined to comment), Vulture seems confident that the show is for the chopping block.

All hope is not lost though, 'Heroes' fans (the five of you that are determined to tough it out until the bitter end), rumor has it that the show might live on in another form ...
A half-season to tie up loose ends might be a long-shot, but there could be the possibility of a two or four-hour movie event to offer loyal fans some closure, though considering 'Heroes' creator Tim Kring hasn't yet received word that his series is canceled, we don't want to speculate too prematurely.

While many people may figure that a cancellation has been a long time coming for the series (less than 5 million viewers tuned in to watch the season 4 finale last February, compared to the 17 million who were still around for the start of season 2) the rumored axing is actually being considered a surprise among industry insiders, who figured that the prime-time fixture would be kept around as an insurance policy in case any of NBC's new pilot picks fail to deliver ratings.

But with a solid crop including new shows from J.J. Abrams and Jerry Bruckheimer, it seems that NBC is completely confident in their upcoming slate -- perhaps misguidedly, given this year's Lenogate debacle. However, a cancellation of the flagging 'Heroes' could be good news for any pilot picks that are slow to build momentum out of the gate -- in recent years, we've seen a worrying trend of networks being so trigger happy that they kill a show after only two or three low-rated episodes, never giving well-crafted but slow-burning shows a chance to find their legs. ('Kings,' anyone?)

Without 'Heroes' as a contingency plan, audiences might be given some breathing room to get comfortable with a new series, which can only mean good news for once bitten, twice shy viewers who are wary to commit to a freshman show in case the rug is pulled out from under them (sorry 'Eastwick' and 'The Forgotten' fans).

An eleventh-hour save isn't out of the question as we head towards the upfronts, but for right now, we suggest Hiro and co. head back in time and figure out where it all went wrong, since the future ain't looking too bright.

MR weaver king

the show got to dark and dumb with the people from the circus thats when it started to fall apart .

May 13 2010 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I used to watch this show and 24 and lost. The writers strike just killed these fine shows and so many others . Nobody ever thinks of the viewers (and product buyers) much less the people that put their souls into acting on these shows .

May 13 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen

I love Heroes. I agree with MomHadIt--if Heroes could run consistently, like many other shows, it might still be in business. It's sad. I guess I'm one of the five or more that wants to see Heroes stay. Although, I agree that Season 2 wasn't that great. I still own the box set! Ha.

May 13 2010 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

I watched season one and season two. Two left me so uninterested that I just couldn't bring myself to watch any more. Maybe this would have been better off if they'd treated it like a comic book. I could almost agree with Bobbie. Most reality shows are a waste. Haven't seen a comedy worth watching in decades.

May 13 2010 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coffeelady

When will the networks ever learn? They think they can string us along and we will drop everything to come back to that show that hasn't been on in 8,10, 12 months. Then they are surprised that the audience isn't there. Well, DUH. I've moved on and found other shows to watch. I no longer care about the characters, or even remember what was happening.

May 13 2010 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spxmet

Is it just me, or has the television industry gotten incredible volatile the last 5 years?

May 13 2010 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

No! I love Heroes, but I swear none of the shows that I love last very long. I loved Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone and where are they now? Anything with weird or quirky characters is my kind of show. I will petition to have Heroes retained or whatever it takes. Damn!

May 13 2010 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Or is it more like TA TA!!!!?

May 13 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

YA TA!!!!!!!! NBC DID IT! FINALLY!

May 13 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
in1nuthouse

Ok I love this show and was SOOOOO dissapointed when they did the season finale in Feburary? I have always seen it in May. And secondly it is like they wanted the show to fail only giving it a 1/2 of season. All of the other shows start in Sept. and have their season finales in May so why change this one? You ask me it was like they were trying to make it a bigger flop than what it really was.

May 13 2010 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply