October 25, 2014

Who's Going to Join Crystal in the 'Idol' Finale?

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 12th 2010 2:29PM
The final four contestants in 'American Idol' Season nine
We're soon going to be down to the final three contestants on 'American Idol,' so this is crunch time. Barring any complete phone line meltdown, the finale is going to be Crystal and... somebody else. But the question is, "who should that somebody else be?"

Along with Jane Boursaw, I've been covering 'Idol' for TV Squad all season. In my recaps, I've made no bones about the fact that I'm a huge Crystal fan. She's so far above anyone else in this competition, that it's not even funny. As far as her competition goes, I've always enjoyed Big Mike, but I don't really see him as Top 3 material this year. After his performance of 'Jealous Guy,' I would have said that we need to have a Casey/ Crystal finale, but now I'm not so sure.

I've mentioned before that every single week, I literally forget that Lee Dewyze is in the competition. I wrote him off, early on in the competition, as another bland, generic Nickelback-type rocker. Sure he can sing, but he gave performances that made you forget about him before the last note had even been sung. However, now that the crowd has thinned, Lee is really starting to shine.

Last week, I was shocked to walk away from the performance episode thinking that Lee hands-down gave the best performance -- during Sinatra week of all things. The fact is, not only did he look like a polished contestant, but for the first time, I actually saw him as a fully-formed artist. My thoughts of a bluesy Casey/Crystal finale were replaced by an ending in which she and Lee were the last ones standing.

While I was unimpressed by his performance of 'Kiss From a Rose,' everybody was pretty off last night, so I don't really hold it against him (I still do love Crystal's choice of the Kenny Loggins song, though). The duet between he and Crystal, however, completely won me over. The ease with which they performed, and how well their styles melded together really took me by surprise, and my allegiance was officially won.

I don't think that the producers outright rig the competition, but they do push the narrative in both subtle and not-so-subtle ways. Pairing up Lee and Crystal last night was their way of telling America, "hey guys, this is what you want." It's a cheap ploy, but at least on me, it worked 100%.

Who do you think is going to compete in the 'Idol' finale?

harmoni

I don't know if you guys know what you are talking about!!! LEE DEWYZE is the "TRUE American Idol"!!! When he sings, his voice, eyes, everything about him speaks (connects) right thru our hearts!!! He is truly a gifted/talented singer artist that will sing any song anybody request him to sing and will take us to his arena, the "LEE DEWYZE ARENA"!!! That's what's LEE's all about, he just LOVES TO SHARE his good music for everybody to enjoy!!! So if you please just listen with your heart when he sings and you will hear!!! (He has lots and lots of fans now who are really die hard like me!!!)

May 19 2010 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

On every AI comment list is at least one poster who thinks Michael Lynche comes across as arrogant. Big Mike's demeanor is just confidence, with a little swagger on the side. Have any of you ever seen footage of Frank Sinatra performing? The man fairly oozed swagger and confidence. So did most of the big musical performers of his time. Are confidence and swagger passe now? Mike Lynche can really sing, and I think he's as good as he is at least partly because of his confidence.

Casey James is the weakest of this group and will probably be cut tonight, leaving Mike, Lee and Crystal to duke it out.

What happens to Idol after this season is anyone's guess. With Cowell jumping ship and such a weak group of contestants, plus the awful Ryan Seacrest and dismal ratings, I wouldn't be surprised if Idol got the ax. It would take wholesale changes to save it, but maybe more to the point, it may have just run its course.

Just my nickel's worth...

May 12 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I've been saying from the beginning Crystal isn't the winner, but only because she is so well set into her own style.
I thought they would keep Casey till the last and possibly Dewyse, but after last evening's abysmal judge comments, I'm thinking Casey isn't going any further than this evening. Personally I think Mike should be the one to leave but I doubt that will happen.
It's looking more and more like it will indeed be Crystal. I couldn't be happier for her competition wise, but worry that the contract she will be locked into will cripple her original style. I hope things go better for her than that.

May 12 2010 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I've been a Crystal-Lee fan since top 16. SO glad they both have reached at least the top 4 and would definitely love it if they are the final 2.

May 12 2010 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I believe it should be Crystal and Lee in the final but who knows?! I know Big Mike can sing but something about him just turns me off - he just comes across as somewhat arrogant. I like both Crystal and Lee but I guess if it is really fair, Crystal should win. She hasn't really had a terrible week. But Lee is also very, very good. Casey is good,too. The amazing thing this year has been what good musicians these contestants are. Of course, they couldn't use instruments a couple of years ago. Bo Bice is a great musician, too, and probably could have really shown if he could have played his guitar. But that year nobody was going to beat Carrie Underwood. And she has proven she was a worthy winner.

May 12 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply