August 20, 2014

Bill Lawrence Wants to Change 'Cougar Town' Title

by Andrew Scott, posted May 13th 2010 2:30PM
Cougar Town'Cougar Town' may soon be going away -- well, at least its title.

In a new interview with HitFix, series creator Bill Lawrence talked about how far the show has moved from its initial premise, in which Jules (Courteney Cox) dates younger men, since it premiered back in September.

When asked what he plans to do with the show's title, he said, "I'd like to (change it), and the studio has been talking about it for three reasons: One, partly as a result of common sense and partly from their research, they find too many instances of testing of people saying they would never watch a show called 'Cougar Town' ... and then they screen an episode, and people go,' Oh, I would watch this show.'"

Lawrence cited storyline changes as another reason for the potential change, adding that a title switch could "create some kind of dialogue" as ABC plans to promote its new and returning shows.

Indeed, as we highlighted in our recap, younger men seem to be a thing of the past for Jules, who is now hooking up with her neighbor, Grayson, played by Josh Hopkins. For now it seems that the 'Cougar' has been caged.

Tell us: Should 'Cougar Town' change its title? And if so, what would you call it?

Fkitty

I don't care what they call it... it's a great show and got better and better as the season went on. I love Courtney Cox in a not so serious role. Proves sexy women can be funny!

June 09 2010 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Wow, so much hate! I enjoy Cougar Town, but since I'm not a regular viewer, I like to say that "I don't watch Cougar Town, except when I do." I actually plan on catching up over the summer and watching regularly next year, whatever it's called.

Also, on the renaming thing, don't forget that Saved by the Bell started as Good Morning, Miss Bliss, although it was also sort of a spinoff... I think the best term for it is that it's a retool.

May 14 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csiblackwell

I suggest for a new name:
"The show old guys with limited income and no future still hate, because attractive career women with self-esteem, will not give them the time of day, town."

But that's a bit long.
If the change the title from Cougar(sexual predator)Town to something less insulting, I'll watch it more.

May 14 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Bitch City

May 14 2010 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MichelleRN

Cougar Town was ALWAYS an offensive name and I'm sure turned many viewers *like me* away from the show, which seems to have far more depth and character than the ridiculous title would indicate. Being of a "certain age" I detest terms like Puma (allegedly what I am) and Cougar anyway. I'd LOVE to know what people would call people like Michael Douglas...but then it's always been "okay" for men to seek mates decades outside their age and non medicated sexual functionality. Perhaps a good new title would be something like Bent Not Broken.

May 14 2010 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

I like this show and the "Middle" and "Modern Family"
I don't think they should change the name of name of
"Cougartown" because people are already used to it!
I'm not saying that it's one ot the best shows on,
but these 3 together at least are sort of a pleasant
and sort of comedic group compared to most of the
other stuff on the lineups these days!

May 14 2010 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

How about we change the cast, the premise, and call it "Better off Ted" I have just the cast and premise in mind.

May 14 2010 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Imaginethis

Just change the name to: "Not Funny, Really Stupid Town" and call it a day. How this piece of garbage stays on is beyond me, but then so much today is garbage on TV, I guess someone must be watching it. It was NEVER funny!

May 14 2010 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

This as well as The Middle are the most poorly written and acted shows on TV. Modern Family's a diamond in the rough.

May 14 2010 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

This is one of the most poorly written shows out there. I don't see how they can continue to air it. Cox was good in Friends but not even she is good enough to keep the show on.

May 14 2010 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply