November 24, 2014

'Law & Order' Officially Canceled

by Andrew Scott, posted May 13th 2010 5:32PM
Law & OrderUPDATE: NBC has officially canceled its cornerstone legal series 'Law & Order,' the network confirmed today in a press release.

"The full measure of the collective contributions made by Dick Wolf and his 'Law & Order' franchise over the last two decades to the success of NBC and Universal Media Studios cannot be overstated. The legacy of his original 'Law & Order' series will continue to make an impact like no other series before," Jeff Gaspin, Chairman of NBC Universal Television Entertainment said in a statement.

Executive producer Dick Wolf had only this to say: "Never complain. Never explain."

Deadline
first reported the story yesterday.

'Law & Order' will have its series finale on Mon., May 24 at 10PM ET.

The show ends after 20 seasons on the air, which ties 'Gunsmoke''s record as the longest-running drama in television history.

As the Live Feed points out, the season 20 finale was shot before the cancellation news, meaning there won't be enough time to provide fans any closure -- at least for now. Among the potential ideas, according to sources: having characters appear on 'Law & Order: Los Angeles,' which was picked up today,' or possibly a two-hour movie.

In addition to canceling 'Law & Order' and picking up 'LOLA,' NBC announced that 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' will return for a 12th season.

More developing ...

Doris

As is usual, money is the bottom line. I guess Dick Wolf hasn't made enough money yet. This is the show that made him and all the spinoffs. Surely everyone knows that. Bring it back, AMC!!!

July 11 2010 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dha

Jeremy Sisto & Anthony Anderson best duo since Lenny & Logan. Great chemistry between Roche & de la Garza. Story lines this year like the old days.
Heartbreaking to cancel L&O when it's on such an upswing.

May 25 2010 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daniel

DUM A#%&! dont cancell L&O its a good show. This is another F@&K up of the Jay Leno fiasco.Bring it back and change the day and add some fresh faces.DUH Its one of the last good shows that NBC still has.

May 20 2010 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Different Scott

God, how can an audience watch the same old crap, and it is old, night after night and then lament it going away like this. L&O was great for the first 5 or so years, but comeon, they ran out of ideas after that. NBC is run by idiots. I will say I am glad to see a classy show like Saturday Night Lights is returning, now please leave it on the same night and time every week, without 6 months to a year breaks between episodes, every actor in every part is perfect. The critics like it. The people who don't always want to watch the same crap over and over, like Law and Order, and CSI, which is just getting to be abominable. No comedies, bring us new dramas with decent actors instead of the hacks you put on most new shows. I love it that Jimmie Smits is coming back, he has had too many good programs cutoff in 1 or 2 seasons without an ending, just leaving his fans hanging.

May 20 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roni

I want to add that I met Linus Roache and he is a great person and actor. Again, NBC's greed and the Leno mess is responsible for this. Shame on NBC.

May 20 2010 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roni

Law and Order is an original and one of the most intelligent shows on NBC. The NBC's greed and the Leno debacle lost viewers because one never knew L&O's schedule. The new DA was great and added some life into the show. I will have to resort to reruns. I hope that TNT and other networks will continue to boradcast reruns. Perhaps a cable network could pick it up. I hope that NBC reconsiders and renews this intelligent and thought provoking progra.

May 20 2010 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
realty4salebyme

Can't believe that a major network can be so dumb. Yes, Law & Order is having a drop in ratings but in the past that meant change your characters which is something that L&O has always been known for. Also, it seems to me that the writers might need some new blood as well. L&O will be missed and I truly hope that the network will at least pay respect to all involved by giving us fans a bit of closure and farewell.

May 19 2010 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rose

OOPS, someone may a mistake law and order is my favorite of all shows
including old ones, new ones.any ones
really love CI and Svu, come on now take of some of these reality shows that are just plain stupid off
leave Law and Order alone.

May 18 2010 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariha

I am so sad to see Law and Order being cancelled. I love that show and have watched it since it wnet on the air. I like all of the people on the show. My one concellation it that it will be on re-runs. I can't understand the networks, they keep stupid shows and cancel ones that have proven their weight.

May 18 2010 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply