August 31, 2014

'Power Rangers' Franchise Moving to Nickelodeon

by Rich Keller, posted May 13th 2010 11:20AM

Haim Saban re-acquires the 'Power Rangers' and moves them to NickelodeonHaim Saban, the original producer of the 'Power Rangers' franchise in the 1990s, has re-acquired the property from the Walt Disney Company and will be bringing it over to rival Nickelodeon starting next year, according to the NY Times.

The history of the 'Power Rangers' franchise in the United States is a long one. Originally produced by Saban and his Saban Entertainment, 'Power Rangers' premiered in 1993 on the FOX Kids programming slate as the very popular 'Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.' For the next eight years, they would go through many other variations, including 'Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers,' 'Power Rangers: Turbo' and 'Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue,' and would appear on the FOX Saturday morning schedule and daily on FOX Family.

When Disney purchased FOX Family in 2001, it acquired all the rights to 'Power Rangers,' which it continued to produce. Unfortunately, the high hopes that the entertainment giant had for the franchise, including a major motion picture, failed as focus groups revealed that parents weren't thrilled with the amount of violence, including the martial arts-based hand-to-hand combat that was the main focus of the series. In the end, Disney tried to distance themselves from the product and, over the last year, began searching for a buyer. Which is how Haim Saban came back into the picture.

In the new deal with Nickelodeon, which is owned by Viacom, Saban will produce a 20-episode, 18th season of 'Power Rangers' for a 2011 premiere on both the flagship channel and Nicktoons. Meanwhile, episodes from previous seasons -- 700 in total -- will begin airing on Nicktoons later this year.

Nathaniel

I'm a big fan of the Mighty Morphin' saga, back when the storyline (as much as there was one, and when there was, it was awesome!) was continuous from season to season. So I welcome the continuation of the franchise so maybe someday I'll have some sort of thing to show my kids... almost like a Doctor Who for my generation.

They've also recently rebooted the original season with some new comic book graphics and stuff, so the current generation of kids are getting to know Jason, Trini, Zach, Kimberly, Billy, and Tommy, too!

May 14 2010 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davin.peterson

Yes! I missed the last 3 seasons as I didn't have Toon Disney and my ABC station refuses to air them on Saturday mornings as they say it's not educational.

May 13 2010 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to davin.peterson's comment
Y2JMooing

Da last 3 seasons sux big time, so dont waste ur time!

June 03 2010 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

I've never seen the complete seasons of Power
Rangers, before, so I hope Nicktoons airs them all,
including the Ninja Turtles crossover episodes.
I don't know who owns Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,
but I hope just this once they'll allow that 2-part
episode to air on Nicktoons with the other episodes.

May 13 2010 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia

I LOVE the Power Rangers! I watched MMPR back in the day, and then picked it back up in college. Hopefully Nick can bring it back to being good, like it was for SPD, which was interesting, funny, and only slightly cheesey...

May 13 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I have a confession. I have been watching Power Rangers since season 1.. I even play a game I made up called "Spot the Power Ranger" where you yell "HEY! that guy was on power rangers!" when ever you see an ex ranger in another role.

I am seriously happy about this.. Disney gave up long ago and will regret giving this up to Nickelodeon. Nick is doing big things with their action block. Avatar, Ironman, Power Rangers, Xmen, Dragon Ball! Action has found a home and it is NICK!

May 13 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Yes! Classic Rangers will be back on TV!

May 13 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply